SU's First Womens B'ball coach Muriel Smith | Syracusefan.com

SU's First Womens B'ball coach Muriel Smith

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
passes away. (see link below) Muriel was SU's women's coach when I played for Oswego State. Believe it or not we beat them easily but Muriel was trying against all odds to get the program going. I recall playing in the women's gym at SU and her apologizing to our team for the volleyball net etc not being removed before a scheduled game there. We all helped move the equipment so we could start the game. Kindly she invited me to play at the women's gym during summer breaks giving me the open gym schedule etc. I only did it a few times because of my summer job plus occasionally going all the way there and finding volleyball being played or guys had taken over the gym. RIP Coach Smith, you started it all up at SU and took the lumps for it. Barb Jacobs took over the reigns in 1978. SU's first women's scholarship player was Sheila Nash for you trivia lovers, later my teammate on a semi-pro post college AAU team.

http://obits.syracuse.com/obituarie...spx?n=muriel-k-smith&pid=177919967&fhid=22220

http://dailyorange.com/2012/10/cult...-at-syracuse-struggled-in-fight-for-equality/

So happy they recognized her. :) Well deserved. Thanks for posting them.

I honor the time I spent with Muriel in the mid-70s. I knew her through her daughter, one of my housemates during my junior year. Muriel seemed so energetic and a positive force. SU is better for the time she spent there. Kudos to you, Muriel. It was nice to know you...