Sweet 16 run gave us false hope, & Chukwu is useless | Syracusefan.com

Sweet 16 run gave us false hope, & Chukwu is useless

Caboose

Scout Team
Please don't tell me we just had a bad game, or Howard is hurt or OB played poorly. Bottom line is we let a three game stretch at the end of last season fool us into thinking one year later, with a returning starting five, along with Hughes eligible and Carey coming in, that we'd be fantastic. We weren't the only ones fooled... pollsters and the media were on board w the notion.

One year later we're still watching Jim Boeheim offensive basketball. I feel sorry for these kids because this is a talented bunch. I like Jim Boeheim and I'm not posting this to rip on him but man, what the he'll is going on these last five years not only with our offense, but these teams destroying us from beyond the arc?! Seems like a broken record. Something needs to change up on the hill.

Oh, and Chukwu is completely useless.

Please don't tell me we just had a bad game, or Howard is hurt or OB played poorly. Bottom line is we let a three game stretch at the end of last season fool us into thinking one year later, with a returning starting five, along with Hughes eligible and Carey coming in, that we'd be fantastic. We weren't the only ones fooled... pollsters and the media were on board w the notion

Admitting that we bought into the hype about this team and so far we’ve been wrong isn’t anything to be embarrassed about as an SU fan. As you correctly identified, media prognosticators did as well, and they get paid to make (somewhat) accurate predictions.

The issue is that some folks here have too much pride to actually take their heads out of the sand and acknowledge what’s really happening...that this inept offensive brand of basketball has now turned into a trend that shows no sign of stopping.

Admitting that we bought into the hype about this team and so far we’ve been wrong isn’t anything to be embarrassed about as an SU fan. As you correctly identified, media prognosticators did as well, and they get paid to make (somewhat) accurate predictions.

The issue is that some folks here have too much pride to actually take their heads out of the sand and acknowledge what’s really happening...that this inept offensive brand of basketball has now turned into a trend that shows no sign of stopping.
Agreed. I just feel that under "normal" circumstances a talented bunch like this, with the way they finished out last season, would come back showing marked improvement, certainly at the very least not losing to UConn and freaking OD (The Danny Hurley fiasco really made the knife twist even more). Amazing that personally I'm looking forward more to our football bowl game then our bball, and that's even become stale w WVU'S starting quarterback pulling himself from the game.

Please don't tell me we just had a bad game, or Howard is hurt or OB played poorly. Bottom line is we let a three game stretch at the end of last season fool us into thinking one year later, with a returning starting five, along with Hughes eligible and Carey coming in, that we'd be fantastic. We weren't the only ones fooled... pollsters and the media were on board w the notion.

One year later we're still watching Jim Boeheim offensive basketball. I feel sorry for these kids because this is a talented bunch. I like Jim Boeheim and I'm not posting this to rip on him but man, what the he'll is going on these last five years not only with our offense, but these teams destroying us from beyond the arc?! Seems like a broken record. Something needs to change up on the hill.

Chukwu has at least given moments of positive. I’m sorry but the useless one has always been Sidibe.

If we beat UB (which I believe we will), I anticipate seeing a lot of "I told you so!" posts that JB has it all figured out and everything is fine. It doesn't change the fact that we have been mediocre over the past 150 games of basketball.

Don’t rip the players but your overall point I get. When I express frustration I direct to the top of the pyramid as they are ones being paid.

False hope my rear end.

Players are supposed to get better.

The Nova NIT team ended up winning a national title.

This is on a lack of development.
I don't think you understand where I'm coming from. It shouldn't be false hope because like you said, naturally players get better and TEAMS get better when an entire starting group returns and the team is enhanced w excellent talent coming in. The lack of improvement is apparently what you eluded to- lack of development and I lay that entirely on the coaching staff. You know how many coaches around the country would kill to have these 4 players on their squad- Battle, Brissett, Hughes and Howard?!
I love what Boeheim has accomplished for this program but seriously I'm just tired of us getting top-100 recruits only to play within single digit margins in the 2nd half of games w the Colgates of the world. That's just not supposed to happen with the echelon of talent we get here when squared up against those other schools. That's all coaching and system.

If we beat UB (which I believe we will), I anticipate seeing a lot of "I told you so!" posts that JB has it all figured out and everything is fine. It doesn't change the fact that we have been mediocre over the past 150 games of basketball.

Yup

Everything I said in my OP, oh and OB is the worst bunny-misser ever.

Paul Harris would like a word.
Paul Harris is like "hold my beer OB" lol. Good point. How about that turnover under the basket against Pitt in the Dome? One of the worst plays in SU bball history.

Paul Harris is like "hold my beer OB" lol. Good point. How about that turnover under the basket against Pitt in the Dome? One of the worst plays in SU bball history.

Oh my god. I almost lost a friendship with my best man (Pitt alum) over that play. Harris got absolutely murdered on that play and the refs swallowed their whistles. One of my worst moments at the Dome.

Don’t rip the players but your overall point I get. When I express frustration I direct to the top of the pyramid as they are ones being paid.

Yeah, and let's use facts: Chukwu contributed for 10 minutes to start the second half, and he bought Sidibe some time with three fouls. Sidibe came in and held the lead after a strong first half.

Then the professional coach decided to replace him with the 180-pound small forward who's done nothing at the 5 all year. And then Syracuse lost.

I don't think you understand where I'm coming from. It shouldn't be false hope because like you said, naturally players get better and TEAMS get better when an entire starting group returns and the team is enhanced w excellent talent coming in. The lack of improvement is apparently what you eluded to- lack of development and I lay that entirely on the coaching staff. You know how many coaches around the country would kill to have these 4 players on their squad- Battle, Brissett, Hughes and Howard?!
I love what Boeheim has accomplished for this program but seriously I'm just tired of us getting top-100 recruits only to play within single digit margins in the 2nd half of games w the Colgates of the world. That's just not supposed to happen with the echelon of talent we get here when squared up against those other schools. That's all coaching and system.

The sweet 16 run shouldn't have given anyone false hope if you reasonably looked at the games.
You have wins against teams that never see a zone, and the best one had a boxscore that included
this: SU FG - 36%, 30 reb, 3 assist, 12 TO; MSU FG - 26%, 51 reb (22 off), 11 assist, 14 TO. If you
saw all but the MSU shooting percentage, you'd say SU lost by 15. But that is what a zone gets
you against unfamiliar foes. The hope for this year was, five starters back, plus the guys hurt
last year, plus Hughes, and Carey, with Buddy and Braswell to be at the back end, and there's no
freakin' way they could be as bad offensively this year. But they are, if not worse. You could
live with much of it, if they'd show something; for example, if they could move the ball like
Buffalo did, they'd be much better. That was cool to watch on their possessions, they got SU's
D running all over, and would be left with a great look. SU's is, well, not pretty.

The hope came from an expected improvement, of which there hasn't been. But I do like
JB in the press conference afterwards. He seems to say lots of things that his team isn't
good at, but which, uh, well, isn't he supposed to fix? Can't rebound, can't score, well, try
something different.

Kev

Chukwu has at least given moments of positive. I’m sorry but the useless one has always been Sidibe.

Disagree so vehemently. Sid has potential still be tapped. Chukwu has shown the max he can give, and it is NOT sufficient on this level.

We beat some really good teams last year and we added a couple studs. Guys are supposed to improve our guys are getting worse. The expectations should be high. Thus team and coaching staff is a major disappointment.

4 game stretch. we had the ball down 3 vs duke in the sweet 16.

I think Syracuse has been pretty bad for Syracuse standards for a while now. But it would not surprise me if we start beating top teams. Get in the tourney and make a sweet 16. These players seem to change from game to game. But yes its trending bad. And it has been for a while. Battle is not leading us. That's my biggest beef if I had to start with one.

Why? It’s less ridiculous than your UB is a national power post.

You’re right, I’ll just bash individual players instead

This thread hasnt been deleted?
??? Do we have a set of posting rules that say the topic is not specific enough for some guy in Georgia? Did I need to include the shoe sizes of the players?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom