Sweet D | Syracusefan.com

Sweet D

im4cuse

2nd String
long overdue on the jersey in the rafters.
Youngsters: we actually had guys who could shoot.
Ironically the one home game I recall him losing was a lot like today. A 51-50 Rock fight vs UConn pre Yukon. Our offense was non-existent that
Snowy Saturday too. Freshman year. We ended up making the NCAA (hard to do then) but lost first round IIRC.

long overdue on the jersey in the rafters.
Youngsters: we actually had guys who could shoot.
Ironically the one home game I recall him losing was a lot like today. A 51-50 Rock fight vs UConn pre Yukon. Our offense was non-existent that
Snowy Saturday too. Freshman year. We ended up making the NCAA (hard to do then) but lost first round IIRC.

Dennis played on our freshman team as a freshman, (1970-71). Freshmen became eligible in 1972-73. We beat Connecticut 98-69 in 1971-72 and 104-73 in 1972-73. We lost to them 60-61 when DuVal was a senior in 1973-74. We lost to Oral Roberts in the first round, 82-86 in OT.

Congrats to Dennis Duval! Glad they are being a slight bit more timely with Moten.

Dennis played on our freshman team as a freshman, (1970-71). Freshmen became eligible in 1972-73. We beat Connecticut 98-69 in 1971-72 and 104-73 in 1972-73. We lost to them 60-61 when DuVal was a senior in 1973-74. We lost to Oral Roberts in the first round, 82-86 in OT.
Yes should have been clear it was MY freshman year not his when we lost by 1 to Yukon. It's about me ;-)

He was pure magic. His warm up routine was amazing.

I've asked this before without success but does anyone know where I can find video of Sweet D doing the warmup routine? I remember it very well and spent many hours trying to replicate it.

Florange44

Gosh i dont know. If you find it please pm me

He was amazing I remember when he was in sports Illustrated. I was 11-12 years old and used Magic Marker to write "Sweet D" on the Toes of my Converse All stars. The loss to Oral Roberts was very disappointing as a kid. To See him get his Jersey raised was great to see!

I remember getting into the elevator at Lawrinson after the UConn game. Larry Kelley and Larry Arrington were talking over the game and were saying that assistant coach Boeheim's scouting report was that they could easily handle UConn's guards. They didn't - and that was a big part of UConn's upset.

He was amazing I remember when he was in sports Illustrated. I was 11-12 years old and used Magic Marker to write "Sweet D" on the Toes of my Converse All stars. The loss to Oral Roberts was very disappointing as a kid. To See him get his Jersey raised was great to see!

Some SI links re: Sweet D:

THE TOP TWENTY
(We were #12)

Letters
(The third letter by Ed Krinsky)

THE WEEK
(Last game covered in "The East")

THE WEEK
(first game covered in "The East")

SI 60 Q&A: Rick Telander on 'Asphalt Legends' and his love of basketball
(Rick Telander discusses the 1973 article that featured Sweet D.)

I cannot find the article itself, unfortunately.

This is the picture that accompanied the article:
street-basketball-aerial-view-of-syracuse-dennis-duval-during-action-picture-id81421571

On the highlight they showed on the big screen he was launching bombs like he was Steph Curry. Too bad there weren't 3s back then.

On the highlight they showed on the big screen he was launching bombs like he was Steph Curry. Too bad there weren't 3s back then.
Kinda makes you wonder - has the game gotten better over the years, or has the game declined even as the players have become physical specimens?

Looks like the half assed SU AD spelled his name right. Baby steps

Wish there was video of DD’s ‘pregame’ Globetrotter-like show. He was awesome.

I also remember Calvin Murphy of Niagara (later Houston Rockets etc) would do a pregame baton twirling show that was amazing too.

I remember getting into the elevator at Lawrinson after the UConn game. Larry Kelley and Larry Arrington were talking over the game and were saying that assistant coach Boeheim's scouting report was that they could easily handle UConn's guards. They didn't - and that was a big part of UConn's upset.
Tony Hanson had a huge game for them. Lanky guy who could shoot.

Would a coach ever tell a player that he could "easily handle" anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom