Swofford Speaks...but what is he saying | Syracusefan.com

Swofford Speaks...but what is he saying

keep digging and reading between the lines...
What I glean...

• The ACC will be adding another bowl or two... likely Pinstripe (buh-bye BE), to support SU and BC, and one other.
  • Notre Dame will be a full time member, it's only a matter of timing. Until they do, they can slide into one of our secondary bowl slots, hence, 1-2 more affiliations.
  • Regarding the Maryland lawsuit... All the Presidents of the remaining ACC institutions believe that the $50 million pay-to-vacate policy is enforceable and won't negotiate a settlement. Those bastards are going to pay.
  • Regarding potential B12 expansion and ability to poach from ACC... "You're joking right?!?! The ACC is strong and stable. Near no chance an ACC team leaves for the B12."
  • The ACC continues to explore the opportunities that an alliance with each of the other Power Conferences. These remain exploratory at the moment. We've formed a subcommittee (ACC teams minus Maryland), to evaluate the opportunities available to us.
The last point is something of interest considering the B1G's recent discussion about no longer scheduling FCS teams. Maybe these discussions of alliances are further along than we are led to believe at the moment.

Arb... are any of the points above on the right track?

What I glean...

• The ACC will be adding another bowl or two... likely Pinstripe (buh-bye BE), to support SU and BC, and one other.
  • Notre Dame will be a full time member, it's only a matter of timing. Until they do, they can slide into one of our secondary bowl slots, hence, 1-2 more affiliations.
  • Regarding the Maryland lawsuit... All the Presidents of the remaining ACC institutions believe that the $50 million pay-to-vacate policy is enforceable and won't negotiate a settlement. Those bastards are going to pay.
  • Regarding potential B12 expansion and ability to poach from ACC... "You're joking right?!?! The ACC is strong and stable. Near no chance an ACC team leaves for the B12."
  • The ACC continues to explore the opportunities that an alliance with each of the other Power Conferences. These remain exploratory at the moment. We've formed a subcommittee (ACC teams minus Maryland), to evaluate the opportunities available to us.
The last point is something of interest considering the B1G's recent discussion about no longer scheduling FCS teams. Maybe these discussions of alliances are further along than we are led to believe at the moment.

That's pretty much what I gleaned.

Combined with the B1G flirting with Johns-Hopkins leads me to think the B1G realizes they cannot pry UVA or UNC and a few others away, if they could, they would not need Johns-Hopkins.

Also, the media money is bigger than originally expected. (on a side note, most evaluations only address ACC payouts but do not include other media rights, which the PAC 12 has sacrificed in full to their conference). How much bigger is the real question.

Please keep us posted, Arb.

I gleaned Swofford hopes that the ACC doesn't get raided, so do I. Of course if there is anything to Karma the ACC is in trouble.

I think the Pinstripe Bowl will be attractive to Cuse, BC, Pitt and ND. Also the Yankees probably would love to get FSU, Clemson, UNC and VT once in a blue moon.

I think the payout would increase if it is ACC vs B1G

I think the Pinstripe Bowl will be attractive to Cuse, BC, Pitt and ND. Also the Yankees probably would love to get FSU, Clemson, UNC and VT once in a blue moon.

I think the payout would increase if it is ACC vs B1G

Agreed.

What I glean...

i think you just pushed 5 runs accross the plate.

the Pinstripe being the no brainer. they got to be on 3rd with nobody out, just waiting to score.

What I glean...

This "subcommittee" approach is an interesting endaround to having to allow Maryland access to conference meetings because of the pending litigation. Hopefully, they don't overuse it to the point that it comes back to bite them as evidence that the Terps were de facto frozen out.

This "subcommittee" approach is an interesting endaround to having to allow Maryland access to conference meetings because of the pending litigation. Hopefully, they don't overuse it to the point that it comes back to bite them as evidence that the Terps were de facto frozen out.

Would seem really easy to get around that.. My guess is a subcommittee of 5 Presidents, with the remaining presidents all being informally kept in the loop at the moment.

Attached is most recent interview by ESPN and Swofford. He does not say much insofar as providing a road map as to what is taking place. He has watched his words quite carefully...is he getting ready to pull a rabbit out of his hat one more time...stay tuned and think positive:

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/52335/on-the-record-acc-commissioner-john-swofford[/quote]

When he talks about the subcommittee exploring options to collaborate with other Conferences, I think about the Subcommittee already in place working with the Wasserman Group on a Television network. Perhaps we are looking at a multiple conference Channel that includes at least the ACC and Big XII in it somehow.

Not a word about ACC network so that US nit the rabbit.
The tripartite deal like like it is moving along nicely.
Can ND be the rabbit?

He isn't saying much here. This might be the calm before the storm. That being said; I have no idea what the storm (if any) might bring.