Swofford | Syracusefan.com

Swofford

raf4488

Starter
says ACC likely to keep Atlantic & Coastal divisions as they are, with SU in one and Pitt in the other. Likely no basketball divisions.

@DavidTeelatDP
Spent 20 minutes 1-on-1 w/Commish Swofford. He said #ACC likely to retain Coastal-Atlantic divisions, adding Cuse to one, Pitt to other.

@DavidTeelatDP
For #ACC basketball with 14 teams, Swofford said most likely no divisions. Both moves sound likely to be finalized at Feb. meetings .

@DavidTeelatDP
Swofford said #ACC would welcome all-sports discussion w/Notre Dame. Said Irish haven't shown inclination to forgo football independence.

I wouldn't read too much into it. This alignment is temporary.

Putting them in separate divisions is the right move. There is no reason for the ACC to jumble its schedule now with two openings to fill. Once they have established a firm 16 team conference, you will see the ACC readjust.

As for Notre Dame, the more I think about it, the more I think they stay independent. NBC is desperate to get live sports as they've completely lost their foothold in the NFL and NCAA football. I really do see them giving Notre Dame a monster contract to stay. They cant lose that big of a national audience for college sports.

Either that, or ESPN bucks up their contract to a point where ND can move into the ACC.

Torn on this one. Getting Miami and VaTech back on the schedule every year would be great. But getting FSU, Clemson, BC and Maryland may be better.

Love it. Put us in the Coastal please. Playing Miami and Georgia Tech every year is great for recruiting. We get a powerhouse in VaTech to play every year. Virginia, Duke, and North Carolina are all schools we can compete with. We'll then have Boston College or Pittsburgh as a cross division rival. That's great for us.

Torn on this one. Getting Miami and VaTech back on the schedule every year would be great. But getting FSU, Clemson, BC and Maryland may be better.

Pitt will probably get the Atlantic division to be with Maryland. A rivalry could easily develop between the two. It makes sense for the ACC to put them in the same division.

says ACC likely to keep Atlantic & Coastal divisions as they are, with SU in one and Pitt in the other. Likely no basketball divisions.

@DavidTeelatDP
Spent 20 minutes 1-on-1 w/Commish Swofford. He said #ACC likely to retain Coastal-Atlantic divisions, adding Cuse to one, Pitt to other.
@DavidTeelatDP
For #ACC basketball with 14 teams, Swofford said most likely no divisions. Both moves sound likely to be finalized at Feb. meetings .
@DavidTeelatDP
Swofford said #ACC would welcome all-sports discussion w/Notre Dame. Said Irish haven't shown inclination to forgo football independence.
Sorry if already posted but on the SU pre-game show tonight, Matt Park & Matt Roe were interviewing Mike Tirico. At the end of the interview, Tirico said he did not have any inside info. but thought ND to the ACC was a good possibility.

SUOrange44

No basketball divisions is foolish. That's ESPN wanting to create as many sexy match-ups's as possible so its "made for TV" though. ESPN is calling the shots on that one.

Keeping the divisions as they are I am not a fan of, I would like North and South divisions, but I am not hell bent on it so I can live with how they will do it

Personally don't care if we play VTech. If it came down to losing a big brand to an SEC raid, I'd want it to be them.

I like this a lot better than a north/south alignment. I really hope Pitt ends up our rivalry game though.

I like this a lot better than a north/south alignment. I really hope Pitt ends up our rivalry game though.

As a Pitt fan, this is how I feel as well. I want Pitt in the Atlantic, but I want to play Syracuse every year.

As a Carolina grad, I want to be in their division. It'd be great to have an excuse for a Chapel Hill road trip every other year.

As a Syracuse grad and townie, I know when the rescue ship pulls your sorry butt out of the ocean, you shouldn't tell the captain you want his/her cabin.

All I really want to know is when we can start playing in the ACC. The rest is just a minor detail to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BC is starting to fade in fb and hoop. Shouldnt SU and Pitt be in a division with them?

That said, either side is fine with me.

I think Syracuse will likely go to whichever division that BC is in to ensure that BC has a yearly game against a school from the NE, and then Syracuse and Pitt will retain a cross-divisional rivalry in order to continue playing each other every year. Currently, that means Syracuse is likely headed to the Atlantic division with Florida St, BC, MD, NC State, Wake and Clemson. I don't know how most Syracuse fans feel about that. As a NC State fan I have no preference which new school gets placed in the Atlantic. The other rumor that had been talked about well before this latest round of realignment, but has since died down, is that BC and GA Tech might switch divisions since GA Tech wants to play Fla St. each year. If that were to happen, then I would think Syracuse would then go to the Coastal be with BC. I'm not so sure that BC/GA Tech switch is likely to happen any more, so I am expecting Syracuse to the Atlantic and Pitt to the Coastal where Pitt would be guaranteed a yearly game against VA Tech which would seem to be a desirable match-up.

Whatever they decide, they must be licking their chops watching today's SU-Pitt game.

I'm thinking SU goes Coastal- it's in ACC's interest to have Pitt/UMD in the same division, and we can have BC as our cross-division rival.

Why not make a division of northern schools w/Miami and give Miami FSU as a cross over.