Syracuse alums in the D-League | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse alums in the D-League

moqui

generational talent
D-League games begin on Friday. There are currently 6 Syracuse alums assigned to D-League teams:

Andy Rautins, Tulsa
Demetris Nichols, Sioux Falls
Rick Jackson, Santa Cruz
Arinze Onuaku, Canton
Kris Joseph, Maine
Fab Melo, Maine

D-League action kicks off on Friday with Maine vs. Canton.

I noticed last week that Arinze saw action for Canton in a pre-season game, and managed to put up 11 shots and shoot 13 free throws in just 16 minutes. Sadly, he missed 6 of those shots and 9 of those free throws

We are now down to just four players in the NBA and Wes is hanging on by a thread. They are Carmelo, Wes, Hakim and Dion (arranged by $$ income). That is out of about 450 players in the league. Way below par.

We are now down to just four players in the NBA and Wes is hanging on by a thread. They are Carmelo, Wes, Hakim and Dion (arranged by $$ income). That is out of about 450 players in the league. Way below par.
I think that number will be seeing quite an increase over the next 5+ years. Fab and hopefully Kris will be in before the year is out, and then hopefully 1 or 2 per year over the next several years.

I think that number will be seeing quite an increase over the next 5+ years. Fab and hopefully Kris will be in before the year is out, and then hopefully 1 or 2 per year over the next several years.

What 2 guys is Boston killing to bring Fab and Kris up?

What 2 guys is Boston killing to bring Fab and Kris up?
Aren't they part of their 15 man roster already? I am no NBA expert, but isn't it just a question of them activating either or both of them for any given game instead of any of the other guys on their 15 man roster. Maybe when Fab is ready, him over Jason Collins? Or is Jason Collins tearing it up, I didn't check.

Aren't they part of their 15 man roster already? I am no NBA expert, but isn't it just a question of them activating either or both of them for any given game instead of any of the other guys on their 15 man roster. Maybe when Fab is ready, him over Jason Collins? Or is Jason Collins tearing it up, I didn't check.

You are correct. At least that's how i understood it. They're just getting them playing time. Really hope Melo improves and Kris can round out his game.

You are correct. At least that's how i understood it. They're just getting them playing time. Really hope Melo improves and Kris can round out his game.
That is my hope as well, and in reality, they are only an injury away from being called back up immediately. I hope nobody gets injured, but they do happen.

Hakim won't last much longer either. People can try to spin it anyway they want, but su does a poor job of getting players to succeed at the next level (yes, I know anthony is an all star, he's the exception) CONSIDERING how good the college talent seems to be.

Hopefully dion seizes the opportunity given to him by the kyrie injury.

Hakim won't last much longer either. People can try to spin it anyway they want, but su does a poor job of getting players to succeed at the next level (yes, I know anthony is an all star, he's the exception) CONSIDERING how good the college talent seems to be.

Hopefully dion seizes the opportunity given to him by the kyrie injury.

Or does SU take non-NBA level players and get them drafted? Kyrie's injured?

I bet if you looked it up Duke doesn't have near as many as you would think. If you consider they have had top 5-10 recruiting classes for the last 20-25 years. We just haven't had too many studs in the last 10 years. We have had great classes but only Carmelo was a top guy. Winfred Walton was a stud but that didn't work out either.

How many players came to SU as sure fire NBA prospect and didn't make it in the pass 10years...Donte Green (who was a 1st rounder) and maybe Paul Harris that's it...there is a reason only 30 guys a year get guaranteed contracts and only 10 of those guys are going to make it with about another 5 guys from the second round/free agency. That is the math and it is getting worse because you have more guys playing into their late 30s and early 40s. There are guys from the 1994 draft class still in the league!

How many players came to SU as sure fire NBA prospect and didn't make it in the pass 10years...Donte Green (who was a 1st rounder) and maybe Paul Harris that's it...there is a reason only 30 guys a year get guaranteed contracts and only 10 of those guys are going to make it with about another 5 guys from the second round/free agency. That is the math and it is getting worse because you have more guys playing into their late 30s and early 40s. There are guys from the 1994 draft class still in the league!

Dont'e greene actually did make it though. he was close to getting picked up by the Nets until he broke his ankle (or some similar injury?)

I bet if you looked it up Duke doesn't have near as many as you would think. If you consider they have had top 5-10 recruiting classes for the last 20-25 years. We just haven't had too many studs in the last 10 years. We have had great classes but only Carmelo was a top guy. Winfred Walton was a stud but that didn't work out either.

As of opening day, schools with double digit players were:
Kentucky: 20
Duke: 17
UNC: 17
Kansas: 14
UCONN: 12
UCLA: 12
Texas: 11
Florida: 10

Obviously a pretty decent correlation with collegiate success, as all but two have won titles (some multiple) in the last decade, and UCLA has been to 3 final fours.

I think an NBA team can only dress 12 guys for a game (read that somewhere) despite being on the roster. So, yes, they need the D league for PT. Don't be surprised if Fab or KJ get traded as part of a deal to bring a big to Boston. More likely Fab, it is occurs at all.

Dont'e greene actually did make it though. he was close to getting picked up by the Nets until he broke his ankle (or some similar injury?)

I define NBA success as a second guaranteed contract. The Nets deal was not guaranteed.

As of opening day, schools with double digit players were:
Kentucky: 20
Duke: 17
UNC: 17
Kansas: 14
UCONN: 12
UCLA: 12
Texas: 11
Florida: 10

Obviously a pretty decent correlation with collegiate success, as all but two have won titles (some multiple) in the last decade, and UCLA has been to 3 final fours.

15 of Kentucky's 20 players are on their rookie deal...