Syracuse basketball freshman Chris McCullough: Packed and ready to start Orange career (PS) | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball freshman Chris McCullough: Packed and ready to start Orange career (PS)

I really want to follow this kid's progress. From the lessons over the last few years especially, Ive learned to curb my enthusiasm, but it's hard with someone so talented. After reading the article I saw his comments in the article about the Georgetown rivalry renewal, and was thinking I hope he is still here to see it! Some awesome pictures from over the years in the slideshow of a different article about the renewal: http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...eries_starting_in_2015-16.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Welcome to SU, Chris!

This article has more of a positive tone to him than what I was first exposed to. The first article I remember had him throwing a shot at Rak, which obviously isn't the first trait you want to see if you're rooting for someone. I hope he comes and puts in a ton of work, because his upside along with how Joseph plays are the two biggest variables I see for the team this year.

JoeyZ said:
This article has more of a positive tone to him than what I was first exposed to. The first article I remember had him throwing a shot at Rak, which obviously isn't the first trait you want to see if you're rooting for someone. I hope he comes and puts in a ton of work, because his upside along with how Joseph plays are the two biggest variables I see for the team this year.

I didn't hear about that, what did he say about Rak?

Im definitely curious what he said about Rak as well.

Man this kid's physique looks like one of those dudes out of Avatar. It's like Boeheim finally built a factory to crank out prototype Syracuse forwards.

As long as he isnt the same color as them.

Francis03 said:
Basically said at some point during last season that Rak had to step his game up. I mean don't we all share the same opinion lol?

Not to go way off topic, I agree in a sense, but I also think Rak is fine. If Rak was fed the ball the way he should this conversation wouldn't even be happening right now. How many games last season did Rak take 5 or less shots? How many of those off offensive rebounds?

It's easy to look at Rak and say he needs to step up, but he needs the ball on offense, his defense looks fine to me.

No excuse from the coaching staff to have that little of an inside presence when you have a guy shooting that kind of percentage inside. Would it go down more if he got the ball more? Sure, but considering how anemic our offense was and how poorly EVERYBODY shot the ball, no excuse Rak wasn't getting a ton of touches inside. If Chris did say that, it is a little borderline rude, if Chris only gets 4-5 touches a game, I think we'll all be telling him to step up as well.

two3zone said:
Not to go way off topic, I agree in a sense, but I also think Rak is fine. If Rak was fed the ball the way he should this conversation wouldn't even be happening right now. How many games last season did Rak take 5 or less shots? How many of those off offensive rebounds? It's easy to look at Rak and say he needs to step up, but he needs the ball on offense, his defense looks fine to me. No excuse from the coaching staff to have that little of an inside presence when you have a guy shooting that kind of percentage inside. Would it go down more if he got the ball more? Sure, but considering how anemic our offense was and how poorly EVERYBODY shot the ball, no excuse Rak wasn't getting a ton of touches inside. If Chris did say that, it is a little borderline rude, if Chris only gets 4-5 touches a game, I think we'll all be telling him to step up as well.

Rak also has to work his tail off to establish position to receive the ball. That's his weakness. He's getting better at it each year.

Not to go way off topic, I agree in a sense, but I also think Rak is fine. If Rak was fed the ball the way he should this conversation wouldn't even be happening right now. How many games last season did Rak take 5 or less shots? How many of those off offensive rebounds?

It's easy to look at Rak and say he needs to step up, but he needs the ball on offense, his defense looks fine to me.

No excuse from the coaching staff to have that little of an inside presence when you have a guy shooting that kind of percentage inside. Would it go down more if he got the ball more? Sure, but considering how anemic our offense was and how poorly EVERYBODY shot the ball, no excuse Rak wasn't getting a ton of touches inside. If Chris did say that, it is a little borderline rude, if Chris only gets 4-5 touches a game, I think we'll all be telling him to step up as well.

Great call. I don't claim to be be near the top analyst on here, nor do I have the best memory of anyone on here, but I specifically recall making a similar post last season after seeing Ennis, et al's inability/unwillingness to feed Rak the ball after he had worked hard to seal off his man and had no one between him and the hoop. While i can't say for certain that it happened frequently, I am sure that wasn't an isolated incident and recall others agreeing. As for CM's comment, I guess context is important, and right now I don't have that. While lighting a fire under Rak might be useful, I hope it wasn't the kind of comment that can upset the balance of team chemistry. With other threats down low and teammates that can feed him regularly(unlike a homeless baby), I can easily see Rak having a breakout season. The guy in my avatar was always talking about chemistry, and that's what's going to make or break this season. No more Ennis starting to work the ball inside with 7 seconds left on the shot clock, for the love of Pete. At this point I'm frustrated enough that I'm going to start cheering as loudly when Rak gets a hoop as I did when BMK got one.

Last edited:
Rak also seems to pick up cheep fouls fighting for position on the offensive end, I'm often confused by it because it doesn't seem any different than anything you see on every post up. Its hampered his aggressiveness over his career IMO. He seems to give up too easily if he fights hard for position and they don't pass him the ball. I'd prefer he get mad/frustrated and get in the other guys ears during a dead ball than simply stop attempting to post up. I think there is little doubt that he could score much more given more opportunities. It's not all on his shoulders though, the staff and the perimeter players also share some of that responsibility because he cannot get shots regularly without them.

Rak also seems to pick up cheep fouls fighting for position on the offensive end, I'm often confused by it because it doesn't seem any different than anything you see on every post up. Its hampered his aggressiveness over his career IMO. He seems to give up too easily if he fights hard for position and they don't pass him the ball. I'd prefer he get mad/frustrated and get in the other guys ears during a dead ball than simply stop attempting to post up. I think there is little doubt that he could score much more given more opportunities. It's not all on his shoulders though, the staff and the perimeter players also share some of that responsibility because he cannot get shots regularly without them.

Well, it seemed to me all the quick whistles came during ACC road games. And I thought playing at Pitt and Louisville was a robbery!

So far during Rak's tenure he has played with the likes of Michael Carter-Williams, Dion Waiters, Scoop Jardine, Brandon Triche and Tyler Ennis among others at the guard positions. Their combined resume includes: a couple of lottery picks, a first round pick, an NBA Rookie of the Year, a guy who got votes for NBA ROY, a five year program guy who was sensational by his Sr. year, a guy who just won an Italian championship and was stellar in the process and a couple of guys who were at or near the top in the country in assists. If Rak isn't getting enough touches, he has no one to blame but himself.

So far during Rak's tenure he has played with the likes of Michael Carter-Williams, Dion Waiters, Scoop Jardine, Brandon Triche and Tyler Ennis among others at the guard positions. Their combined resume includes: a couple of lottery picks, a first round pick, an NBA Rookie of the Year, a guy who got votes for NBA ROY, a five year program guy who was sensational by his Sr. year, a guy who just won an Italian championship and was stellar in the process and a couple of guys who were at or near the top in the country in assists. If Rak isn't getting enough touches, he has no one to blame but himself.

I liked Waiters better than Ennis. Ennis on a fast break was like watching players moonwalk down the court.

I liked Waiters better than Ennis. Ennis on a fast break was like watching players moonwalk down the court.

I agree to an extent, other than watching MJ do the moonwalk would have been far more entertaining than the certified Ambien/Nyquil replacement. For anyone to say he fed Rak like he should have been fed would seem to be showing favoritism. During the height of this guy's one season of popularity I said the same, not just after his NCAA performance("I knew MCW, and you sir were no MCW") and proverbial flipping us the bird. Really hoping KJo2 can be more successful at running our offense his freshman year. Yes, I just said that. Lack of turn overs isn't the only stat a PG is measured by, as I hope we are reminded this coming season. Man I can't wait for this season to start already! I'm trying to be optimistic and actually see the possibility of the team having addition by subtraction as well as an improved Gerry Cooney, even though it may sound silly at the moment. Box of chocolates and the like.

I agree to an extent, other than watching MJ do the moonwalk would have been far more entertaining than the certified Ambien/Nyquil replacement. For anyone to say he fed Rak like he should have been fed would seem to be showing favoritism. During the height of this guy's one season of popularity I said the same, not just after his NCAA performance("I knew MCW, and you sir were no MCW") and proverbial flipping us the bird. Really hoping KJo2 can be more successful at running our offense his freshman year. Yes, I just said that. Lack of turn overs isn't the only stat a PG is measured by, as I hope we are reminded this coming season. Man I can't wait for this season to start already! I'm trying to be optimistic and actually see the possibility of the team having addition by subtraction as well as an improved Gerry Cooney, even though it may sound silly at the moment. Box of chocolates and the like.

I am pretty much on the same frequency with you. I remember a couple of times when Ennis try to feed Rak and Keita down low. His pass was too low (at waist level) and they were not able to get a handle on the ball. I think for feeding the ball into the low post you have to aim for the big guy's chest and higher. The waist-level passes get stripped away or mishandled. Coleman seemed to get stripped every other possession.

As for next year I am still ideating. As I said, my hope is for McCullough to be a Anthony/Parker type force. From what I read about KJo2 he has a great workout ethic. I hope he's as fast as Dion, has as good of a handle as Ennis, but is also a good passer like MCW. KJ02 is an inch or two taller than Ennis so maybe he will have better vision on the court. I think he will do okay.

As for the rest of the team, oy vey! Roberson may be terrific. I think Gerry Cooney will only slightly improve. I think Silent G will be a solid contributor. I thought Patterson looked pretty good on the court last year but for some reason JB did not play him as much. Maybe Patterson will be a good contributor this season. I think Obokoh will play the role of BMK and probably do just as well. I think Coleman will probably red-shirt (I have not heard any news of him playing basketball at all). BJ is a complete mystery to me. And I think Rak will be a strong leader but for whatever reason the refs sure like to call fouls on him. There were so many calls last season during away games where I thought Rak was being treated badly by the refs. There's nothing I hate more than when referees call games inconsistently at each end of the court!

How did he flip us the bird?

How did he flip us the bird?

I think he means by leaving us for the NBA. JB is not getting any younger. I was hoping some of the current recruits would show some loyalty and help JB get his 2nd NC. Just a hope.

I think he means by leaving us for the NBA. JB is not getting any younger. I was hoping some of the current recruits would show some loyalty and help JB get his 2nd NC. Just a hope.
Hard to blame a kid for capitalizing on his stock and chasing his dream by becoming a top 20 pick and making millions in the process. Ennis doesn't owe the fans anything and him coming back next season wouldn't have guaranteed JB a 2nd chip. He did what was best for him and his family and we as Cuse fans should wish him well and hope that he's successful in the Association.