Syracuse Basketball Top 10 of Delusional Fan Bases | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball Top 10 of Delusional Fan Bases

We be the big time...
The only qualm is most don't think we are a Top 5 Program but most of us feel secure in stating we are a Top 10 Program.

http://collegespun.com/national/the-10-most-delusional-fan-bases-in-college-sports

h/t: Kaplony at csnbbs.com

Is this another one of those websites where some dork who went to community college for one semester and works at Wal-Mart part time can type up his thoughts and opinions on something, and present them as legit or important?

Why do most sports sites have that feel now?

"Syracuse fans are notorious for citing excuses – like Fab Melo’s suspension or Arinze Onuaku’s knee injury – as reasons why they can’t get it done in March."...
What an idiot.

So it's delusional to think we are one of the Top 5 - 10 programs over the last 25 years. OK. Name the 10 ahead of Syracuse. Guess that would require to much thought for this moron. Also like how he conveniently uses his own varying criteria for each program. UCLA basketball because they're not as good as the program that won 11 straight titles, Alabama football because they weren't as good 10 years ago as they are now. I guess being lumped with UCLA, Indiana and Kentucky hoops and with Alabama and Notre Dame football isn't the worst company...

"Syracuse fans are notorious for citing excuses – like Fab Melo’s suspension or Arinze Onuaku’s knee injury – as reasons why they can’t get it done in March."...
What an idiot.
He was ok until that last line.
Losing your starting center isn't an excuse...it's a real reason you may have problems.
Although...somehow Kentucky found a way to get to the final without their starter this year.

Is this another one of those websites where some dork who went to community college for one semester and works at Wal-Mart part time can type up his thoughts and opinions on something, and present them as legit or important?

isn't that what most recruiting sites are nowadays? Anyone can be a recruiting guy.

I'm a delusional SU fan but there are tons of posters here that are worse. Listen to some comments in the dome sometime.:D

not worth our time. website nobody's heard of and author nobody's heard of.

just meh

"under Boeheim, has only reached the Final Four in four of his 38 seasons. In contrast, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, the only head coach with more wins, has won four national championships and reached the Final Four 11 times in 33 years leading the Blue Devils."

So because we're not Duke, something that no Syracuse fan has ever in a million years claimed to be, we're delusional? Talk about a straw-man argument.

And how can Alabama football fans be on this list? If they think they're program is awesome, it's because it is.

And how can Alabama football fans be on this list? If they think they're program is awesome, it's because it is.

If you have won 3 of the last 5 national championships like Alabama football has, then you are not delusional.

This is a lazy effort intended to flame high performing programs that a lot of fans from other programs love to hate. He'll get plenty of action on his post which for him is what it is all about. He probably thinks he is going to go far as a sport journalist which is the most delusional thing about the article.

I think these are the 15 year olds who write these articles in between their acne treatments and their dungeons and dragons tournaments.

Well we are in pretty good company on that list.

de·lu·sion·al
adj. 1. having false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions:

He could have found better words, like The top 10 programs with big fanbases but few acheivements.
Believing and being die hard fans doesn't make you delusional, it makes you loyal, faithful and confident. Delusional makes his sound like a childish, inmature, frontrunner.

Last edited:
de·lu·sion·al

He could have found better words, like The top 10 programs with big fanbases but few acheivements.
Believing and being die hard fans doesn't make you delusional, it makes you loyal, faithful and confident. Delusional makes his sound like a childish, inmature, frontrunner.

Or Rutgers

"under Boeheim, has only reached the Final Four in four of his 38 seasons. In contrast, Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, the only head coach with more wins, has won four national championships and reached the Final Four 11 times in 33 years leading the Blue Devils."

So because we're not Duke, something that no Syracuse fan has ever in a million years claimed to be, we're delusional? Talk about a straw-man argument.

"If you ain't first, you're last" ~Ricky Bobby

So we don't pass muster when compared to the greatest head coach in the history of the game? REALLY YOU DONT SAY.

The guy who runs the website is a Cuse grad. I was roommates with the girl he married in 2006. Not a big fan of his. He trolled us last year before the tourney as well about the current NCAA investigation, basically sticking up for Mark Schwartz and ESPN during the whole Fine fiasco. So they guy is a grad that loves to troll his alma mater.
Typical Syracuse self-loathing. At times it's evident all over these boards. Some SU fans would rather stick to the notion that we don't, and will likely never, measure up. Sad.

We be the big time...
The only qualm is most don't think we are a Top 5 Program but most of us feel secure in stating we are a Top 10 Program.

http://collegespun.com/national/the-10-most-delusional-fan-bases-in-college-sports

h/t: Kaplony at csnbbs.com

"But when it comes to postseason success, the Orange falter more than some of the other “elite” schools – for whatever reason. Syracuse fans are notorious for citing excuses – like Fab Melo’s suspension or Arinze Onuaku’s knee injury – as reasons why they can’t get it done in March."

Seems like a pretty good excuse to me. I must be delusional! LOL!

de·lu·sion·al

I tend to agree with your assessment. What the heck does the guy expect us to do? When you team goes 26-0 best start in school history it's hard not to get on the band wagon. And just after we came off a final four. It looked like we were going to the national championship game for sure. And then the wheels came off the wagon. Life is tough.

I think when things are going bad most of us here do not pull punches. All the talk about Cooney seems pretty fair and balanced to me. Delusional is a pretty strong word. I think there are lots of fans who not blind to our team's warts.

Speaking of "life is tough". I was arguing with my wife over something with our business and I said, "life is tough and then you marry one. " She replied with, "Life's an a hole". I laughed about that one for a week!

The site was started by two Syracuse grads who are actually BIG fans of the Cuse.

For real.

The site was started by two Syracuse grads who are actually BIG fans of the Cuse.

For real.
Doesn't our own BK76 write for them?

BTW, you guys laugh all you want but BleacherReport sold for over $200M IIRC.

I don't have a problem with what he said. The loss of Fab Melo and AO are legit reasons for those years. What about all of the other years? We either underachieved or simply weren't good enough. I don't agree with him that we're not currently a top 10 program. I do agree with him that we have our fair share of delusional fans. Just look at all of the "Are we a blue blood?" threads that we've had on here.

Doesn't our own BK76 write for them?

BTW, you guys laugh all you want but BleacherReport sold for over $200M IIRC.
Yeah, there are people who bought Edsels too.