Syracuse basketball's 2006-07 season was the year of the infamous ... | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse basketball's 2006-07 season was the year of the infamous ...

It was also the year that Demetris Nichols and Andy Rautins made enormous leaps in production, Paul Harris arrived on campus, and we only lost McNamara from the previous year's group. But for some reason Waters thinks that the team got worse in spite of those improvements.

It was also the year that Demetris Nichols and Andy Rautins made enormous leaps in production, Paul Harris arrived on campus, and we only lost McNamara from the previous year's group. But for some reason Waters thinks that the team got worse in spite of those improvements.

ranking seems about right to me.

higher ranked than 1999 when we were an 8 seed.

ranking seems about right to me.

higher ranked than 1999 when we were an 8 seed.

Yeah, I'm OK with that. I've just been relentlessly beating this dead horse that the 2006 team is (poor word choice) overrated.

The McNamara/Big East combo colors some people's opinions (Waters included, it seems).

Based on the eye test, 2006 should be way down there.

Based simply on looking at what they lost and how much returning players improved in the 2006 offseason, it's even crazier. Lose McNamara, but gain Rautins adding 5 points to his average and becoming a third shooting threat, Nichols adding that much and shooting something like the third-best percentage in school history as a legitimately great scorer, and Harris adding things at both ends of the floor. That's a real improvement. 2007 was a significantly better team; they just didn't make the splash in New York that could get them remembered (or rewarded with an NCAA bid).

I remember that cuse team storming back against a top 25 witchita state only to lose on a nichols botched layup with 1:30 left.
I will never forget that layup or comeback. One of our best comebacks ever.

I remember that cuse team storming back against a top 25 witchita state only to lose on a nichols botched layup with 1:30 left.
I will never forget that layup or comeback. One of our best comebacks ever.

yup. he went up for the dunk, thought about it, then tried to lay it in - but missed.

too much indecision. i think we were down like 20+ at 1 point.

The orange towel guy almost single handily brought us back. He was amazing that day.

Couldn't help but look it up. With 9:28 left in the game in a span of alittle over 7 1/2 minutes, we went on a 21-2 run before nichols missed that layup with 1:48 left in the game. Witchita had a 27-1 run at one point. I think everyone in the dome thought we were going to win on that play.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=263360183