Syracuse Boeheim era NCAA bracket wins (SWEET 16)... | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Boeheim era NCAA bracket wins (SWEET 16)...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
1st Round
2nd Round

The Sweet 16 is loaded with great Syracuse games. The best of all was an easy selection though. I'll also include some honorable mentions that were also great games. Links to all games will be provided at the end of the post.

Sweet 16
March 22, 1996

Syracuse - 83
Georgia - 81

It would take a lot to move the Gonzaga/Syracuse Sweet 16 game, or the Wisconsin/Syracuse Sweet 16 to 2nd tier status, but this one did it.

This game was a game of runs. Georgia would get up, SU would claw back. In the second half, there were many times it looked as if the Orange were dead in the water. Then Lazarus Sims (!) drills back to back triples, and all of a sudden the game is back in reach. At the end of the 2nd half, 'Cuse was down two with barely any time left when John Wallace waited pretty much forever to loft an out of bounds pass over the outstretched hands of a UGA player to Jason Cipolla who released and fell into a sea of madness along the Orange sideline.

The overtime outdid that, with Georgia and 'Cuse trading baskets throughout. This game also gives us one of the best Syracuse calls of all time from the irreplaceable Al McGuire. "What a game Jim! What a game!" Then J Dub serenades us all with "The 'Cuse is in the house!" And McGuire looks like an Irish white guy dancing post game.***SEE CORRECTION ON THIS BELOW*** This game had it all and honestly goes down as one of my top 5 Syracuse basketball moments. Can't find the full game online, but the end of OT will have to suffice.

Honorable Mentions
March 28, 2013

Syracuse - 61
Indiana - 50

The great thing about the Sweet 16 is that you have an entire week to build yourself up as a fan believing no matter who your team is playing, you can beat them. Such was the case in 2013 when SU took on top seed Indiana. All the talk leading up to the game was about Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller. Then 'Cuse goes out in the first half and curb stomps them with the zone, taking a 34-22 lead into half time. They held serve in the 2nd half essentially coasting to an 11 point win. If you're a fan of defense -- this was your game as Syracuse choked out the Hoosiers.

March 22, 2012

Syracuse - 64
Wisconsin - 63

Another Big 10 foe, another win in the Sweet 16. This game was the opposite of the one above. Played at Wisconsin's slow pace, this game feature plenty of great offense from both teams. Wisconsin shot 42% for the night, but could not stop SU, who shot 55% in the game.

Potentially the best overall team in the Boeheim era, this game had a fun, let 'em play the game feeling from the first tip. Both teams totaled just 25 fouls between them, as the refs let them play, and the game had great offensive possessions by both teams. Wonder what happened in the Elite 8 of this year, when SU totaled 28 personal fouls against Ohio State. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm not sure that after the Bernie Fine stuff and the Fab Melo suspension the NCAA wanted what would have been a 35-2 Syracuse team in the Final Four.

March 25, 2016

Syracuse - 63
Gonzaga - 60

If the Orange had lost this game, it would be forever known as the m0therf*cking Kyle Wiltjer game. He only had four threes, but in the first half, he was draining them from what seemed like halfcourt. This 'Cuse team wasn't supposed to get this far in the tournament, but lo and behold here they were playing a team that was actually seeded below them. Then The White Giants of the Northwest, Wiltjer, and Sabonis came to knock SU down.

The 'Cuse got down 10 in the first half but clawed back to within one at halftime. Then Gonzaga busted SU's lip again at the start of the second half, getting down 11 with about 7 minutes 11. One trunk monkey press later, and the Orange were headed to the Elite 8 where an even more improbable comeback awaited.

All these great games and one that didn't quite make the cut but was a great 'Cuse win was the 1987 game against Florida and highly touted Dwayne Shnitzus. I don't care if I spelled his name right because he disappeared into Bolivian (as Mike Tyson would say) after Rony Seikaly thoroughly dominated him with 33 points and 9 boards.

#4 Syracuse vs #1 Indiana (3/28/2013)

Syracuse vs. Wisconsin - 2012 NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 Highlights

Gonzaga vs. Syracuse: Cuse moving on

Last edited:
Great post and I agree with your rankings.

(I’m pretty sure the Al McGuire dance was after Kansas. Great weekend of basketball.)

Reactions: MGP
Great post and I agree with your rankings.

(I’m pretty sure the Al McGuire dance was after Kansas. Great weekend of basketball.)
You're right about that! Here it is:

I would add that the 1989 game vs. Missouri is a very underrated all time SU game. Both teams were ranked in the top 10 at the time with 29 wins each. Absolute power house game for the Sweet 16

I never really realized how lazy JW's closeout was on UGa's go-ahead 3 near the end of OT.