Syracuse fan battling lung cancer gets video surprise from Jim Boeheim, his assistants and Joe Girard | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse fan battling lung cancer gets video surprise from Jim Boeheim, his assistants and Joe Girard

We are so fortunate to have a program so committed to supporting the local community and giving back.

Serious question: does any other program do video chats for an ailing fan where a star player and the entire coaching staff show up? How common is this level of support?
I remember visiting OrangeEyes in the hospital (with OrangeOnions ), and I believe our visit was followed up by FHCSS. There's a strong connection between the SU Staff and the fan-base that is rare in CFB. Nice gesture by JB/Red/Gmac .. hope this fan makes it.

Last edited:
I remember visiting OrangeEyes in the hospital, and I believe my visit was followed up by FHCSS. There's a strong connection between the AD/Staff and the fan-base that is rare in CFB.
OrangeOnions could answer this better than me but I know Orangeyes was visited by Scott Shafer at least twice. Terrell Hunt visited him. SU LB coach Clark Lea (who is now the ND DC and doing very well there) visited him at least once. Pretty sure it was twice.

Mike Hopkins visited him, and brought Rakeem Christmas, Tyler Roberson, B.J. Johnson, Dajuan Coleman and Baye Moussa Keita with him.

OrangeOnions could answer this better than me but I know Orangeyes was visited by Scott Shafer at least twice. Terrell Hunt visited him. SU LB coach Clark Lea (who is now the ND DC and doing very well there) visited him at least once. Pretty sure it was twice.

Mike Hopkins visited him, and brought Rakeem Christmas, Tyler Roberson, B.J. Johnson, Dajuan Coleman and Baye Moussa Keita With him.
That must have been an awesome treat for Dan.

That must have been an awesome treat for Dan.
I don’t think anyone could have done anything that have meant more to him than those visits did. The people that visited him probably don’t even remember doing any longer but it meant everything to him at that time.

I will be big supporters of all those people forever because of those visits.

I don’t think anyone could have done anything that have meant more to him than those visits did. The people that visited him probably don’t even remember doing any longer but it meant everything to him at that time.

I will be big supporters of all those people forever because of those visits.
I visited him and wasn’t sure what was wrong with him. I brought him two Ghiradelli chocolate bars which of course he couldn’t eat. I felt so stupid. He said he’d give them to you.

Let’s hope Mike beats this. He has Big Orange Nation pulling for him.
I have told this story before but four years ago around this time of year my 26 year old nephew was diagnosed with Stage 4 medullary thyroid cancer. He is still here. He’s had many treatment protocols and has been sick as a dog, although he would exercise throughout, which I always found mind-boggling. His most recent protocol has been going on for almost a year. He is not in remission but the cancer has been kept in check, and best of all, he feels pretty damn good.

I know that miracles can happen. I pray it will happen for Mike.

Tomcats memory is spot on as usual. The visits from SU players and coaches were a real morale boosters for my dad. That was a long haul for him in the hospital and that certainly helped to keep his spirits up. He was a tough SOB and if will had anything to do with it he’d still be here still cleaning up on the golf course, spending time with his family and enjoying Syracuse athletics. It’s great that Boeheim, his assistants and players continue to do this kind of stuff for our great fans. Wish Mike and his family all the best.

Last edited:
We are so fortunate to have a program so committed to supporting the local community and giving back.

Serious question: does any other program do video chats for an ailing fan where a star player and the entire coaching staff show up? How common is this level of support?

I know a few programs who have done similar things. We focus on Syracuse which means we don’t pay attention to the details of others. I think Syracuse is definitely a champion in community relations though.

Cancer sucks. I found out yesterday that according to my preliminary pathology report my bladder cancer, which was operated on tuesday, is non-invasive. blessed am I. I am recently engaged to my true love, and the Cuse is reloading. .

Cancer sucks. I found out yesterday that according to my preliminary pathology report my bladder cancer, which was operated on tuesday, is non-invasive. blessed am I. I am recently engaged to my true love, and the Cuse is reloading. .
Glad to hear it. Keep up the good fight.

No fan like Dan. He was even thrilled that his window at Crouse included a good view of SU. Miss him. Hope he puts a good word in for us up there. God bless his wonderful family, SU coaches, players and his fellow super fans especially Tomcat who meant the world to him.