Syracuse fans have been blissfully ignorant... | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse fans have been blissfully ignorant...

Scooch

Living Legend
...to the realities of the coaching carousel.

Think about it, we have NEVER had to endure what almost every other program in the country has in the "modern" era of college athletics.

Obviously Boeheim has been here since before man learned how to create fire, and certainly since the mid/late 80s has never even remotely threatened to leave (as far as I know).

On the football side the transition from Mac to Pasqualoni was seamless, although I'm sure some were griping about hiring a LB coach into the HC role at the time. But Jake really made a great call back then. We had a program on a huge upswing with loads of young talent in it. He knew we needed stability, a program-guy, and its damn near impossible to argue with the immediate results: 20-4 in P's first two years and 2 major bowl wins.

While I'm sure P received interest from other programs during his tenure, nothing was ever made public, and I don't get the sense that he was ever a threat to leave of his own volition, certainly not post-McNabb. We parted with P on our own terms (whether it made sense to do so in January is another discussion).

Obviously no one showed any interest during the Robinson error era.

So here we are in 2013, for the first time facing a major coach publically contemplating leaving. Its totally uncharted waters for SU fans, and for that we are very, very lucky.

Isn't it very similar to the MacPherson situation? Head coach thinking NFL (Mac eventually moving on), replacement on staff? We could quite possibly have the same scenario, no?

P had opportunities.

He declined them.

Like I said, "While I'm sure P received interest from other programs during his tenure, nothing was ever made public".

What you are saying is way way off IMO.

If a school is even lucky enough to find a good coach, they leave all the time for various reasons. Most want better jobs, pay, power etc.

What is frustrating me and the fan base, is that this University has a freaking alumni who appears to be a solid coach, interviewing for jobs like the Bills because of various "problems" and "frustrations" that he has had to deal with from admins, fans etc.

This guy WANTED to be here but these laundry list of problems appear to have gotten us where we are today. It's frustrating that this was never identified and fixed before it got to this.

I mean seriously, it's one thing to lose Chip Kelly to the NFL, but it's another thing to lose an alumni, with a 25-25 record to the freaking Buffalo Bills because he does not have the support (from fans and University) to build a successful program.

How sad is that. Fans and admins that want you succeed and are willing to do everything within power for you to succeed should be the easiest thing to acquire as a HC at a school.

Isn't it very similar to the MacPherson situation? Head coach thinking NFL (Mac eventually moving on), replacement on staff? We could quite possibly have the same scenario, no?

I don't think it's "very" similar. Mac had logged two double-digit win seasons, was 15-8-2 in his last 2 years, and left behind a loaded roster. Marrone would be leaving with a 13-12 two-year record and improved talent, but still needing development. P was a guy that Jake knew could be a solid transitional coach from Mac. Not sure we're in a place that needs transition as much as continued dynamism.

All this kinda puts that whole Pitt coaching thing in perspective doesn't it

I don't think it's "very" similar. Mac had logged two double-digit win seasons, was 15-8-2 in his last 2 years, and left behind a loaded roster. Marrone would be leaving with a 13-12 two-year record and improved talent, but still needing development. P was a guy that Jake knew could be a solid transitional coach from Mac. Not sure we're in a place that needs transition as much as continued dynamism.
Fair enough, I see your point.

Huh? What is "way way" off. Did Boeheim, Pasqualoni or Robinson ever publically interview with a pro team?

If a school is even lucky enough to find a good coach, they leave all the time for various reasons. Most want better jobs, pay, power etc.

What is frustrating me and the fan base, is that this University has a freaking alumni who appears to be a solid coach, interviewing for jobs like the Bills because of various "problems" and "frustrations" that he has had to deal with from admins, fans etc.

This guy WANTED to be here but these laundry list of problems appear to have gotten us where we are today. It's frustrating that this was never identified and fixed before it got to this.

I mean seriously, it's one thing to lose Chip Kelly to the NFL, but it's another thing to lose an alumni, with a 25-25 record to the freaking Buffalo Bills because he does not have the support (from fans and University) to build a successful program.

How do we know why he's interviewing? Because random internet guy posted something? No one knows the real reason why but Marrone, so maybe we should hold off on condemning the administration until we know for sure.

How sad is that. Fans and admins that want you succeed and are willing to do everything within power for you to succeed should be the easiest thing to acquire as a HC at a school.

Like I said, "While I'm sure P received interest from other programs during his tenure, nothing was ever made public".

Like I said, your suspicion is correct.

He did have opportunities but declined.

I don't see us as blissfully ignorant. Spoiled? Sure. Not ignorant. Most fans know and are not surprised that money changes things for the good and bad. I think there is a lot of speculation about Marrone and we just need to wait and see. I will be disappointed if Marrone leaves. Why? Because I like him...because he's an SU grad and because I thought maybe he would indeed follow the path of Boeheim. That does not mean I am surprised at any choice me may make.

I don't see us as blissfully ignorant. Spoiled? Sure. Not ignorant. Most fans know and are not surprised that money changes things for the good and bad. I think there is a lot of speculation about Marrone and we just need to wait and see. I will be disappointed if Marrone leaves. Why? Because I like him...because he's an SU grad and because I thought maybe he would indeed follow the path of Boeheim. That does not mean I am surprised at any choice me may make.

Definitely spoiled.

But judging from some of the reaction I've seen here, ignorant applies as well.

I was proud that no one has left SU football to go to another college job, actually thought it was pretty cool but like most things as life goes on...they change. Roy leaving was the only one as far as the two major sports, correct?

I am getting so sick of this. First, to blame fans is ridiculous. Put a good product on the field and people will come. Until the last 6 weeks, we haven't. We went 8-5 two years ago but two of those wins were against 1 aa teams and another against a mac team. We are just getting to where there would be fan interest. And as for mean letters, people are rude. But they are rude everywhere. Now, as far as Marrone not getting what he wants. It takes time. I guarantee you that Marrone has got a lot but he doesn't count the things that he got, only what he was refused. That is human nature. Very few pro organizations give a coach everything he wants. He will have a boss (GM) to answer to. Not to mention a team owner. I don't blame him one bit if he wants the NFL. It is the top of the profession. It will also mean big bucks. But this stuff about the fans is B.S.. And the facilities take time. Jb was here a long time before we got the Melo center.

Except Mac accomplished his goal and Marrone would be quitting before achieving it.

I vote for you as the spokesperson for our fan base. Now go talk to/send massive emails to the BoT with your message and resolve this issue!

I was proud that no one has left SU football to go to another college job, actually thought it was pretty cool but like most things as life goes on...they change. Roy leaving was the only one as far as the two major sports, correct?
Roy said when he left that SU was a football school and basketball was an uphill battle here. He made those remarks when discussing Boeheim's tremendous success and put it into the context of when Roy left.

Roy said when he left that SU was a football school and basketball was an uphill battle here. He made those remarks when discussing Boeheim's tremendous success and put it into the context of when Roy left.

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing.

I didn't know that, thanks for sharing.
http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2012/12/poliquin_jim_boeheims_former_b.html

“You have to give Jimmy all the credit,” announced Danforth, a southerner who escaped our cold (and his low wages) and left for sunny Tulane (and its grander pay scale) in the spring of 1976, and was thereupon succeeded by Boeheim. “What he’s done at Syracuse is miraculous because he did it at what I’ll always consider a football school.
“Syracuse was the No. 1 football team in the nation in 1959. There was the string of great running backs (i.e., Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little). Ben Schwartzwalder was a god who ran that place with an iron fist. If Boeheim had done the same kind of job at North Carolina or Louisville or Tennessee, that’d be one thing. But he did it at Syracuse. And, to me, that’s a miracle.”

Funny how perspectives evolve.

This is sounding more and more like a game of leverage. If you don't give me what I want I'm going to interview for another job ? OK. You'd better get it.

Be careful what you wish for.

I don't really mind Marrone leaving if he is doing it with good intentions - he desperately wants back into the NFL and feels SU is in good shape for the next staff going forward.

But if he's leaving for what many here (some of whom are prominent posters) are saying - that SU fans are meanies, FloridaSteve on syracuse.com is making recruiting hell and the SU administration isn't blowing tons of cash on facilities - then imo he's an ass, basically.

We'll see what happens.

I think this statement strikes right to the heart of our (fans) frustration: why the hell didn't someone send out an SOS that there was apparent overwhelming frustration on Marrone's part on a number of issues? Why did we have to wait before all the progress of the past few years is ready to blow up in our faces? Difficult for Marrone or TGD to broach such a subject publicly, but what the hell were the media-types doing about it? I feel they have not fulfilled their responsibilities by keeping us in the dark. Surely they knew something was amiss--what were they afraid of?--that Doug was going to close practices to them again? Just the way I see it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom