Syracuse Football: Don't Expect To See BYU On The Schedule | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Football: Don't Expect To See BYU On The Schedule

Bummer. They would be a great team to schedule an east coast neutral site game splitting the gate with instead of going on the road.

Just because they don't count as the +1 game, doesn't mean they can't be scheduled. The whole "need to schedule 1 P5 team" has really distracted the conversation. Almost all ACC and SEC teams have met this requirement for years, so it's really nothing different.

If the playoff is really going to focus on strength of schedule, then teams like BYU will probably still be in fairly high demand. It's a non-conference game that playoff type teams should expect to beat, and benefit their strength-of-schedule since BYU shouldn't have too many games against the dregs of D1. That is unless I'm severely underrating their ability to put together a competitive schedule as an independent.

Just because they don't count as the +1 game, doesn't mean they can't be scheduled. The whole "need to schedule 1 P5 team" has really distracted the conversation. Almost all ACC and SEC teams have met this requirement for years, so it's really nothing different.

If the playoff is really going to focus on strength of schedule, then teams like BYU will probably still be in fairly high demand. It's a non-conference game that playoff type teams should expect to beat, and benefit their strength-of-schedule since BYU shouldn't have too many games against the dregs of D1. That is unless I'm severely underrating their ability to put together a competitive schedule as an independent.
BYU has some ho-hum teams on their schedule, but after this upcoming season especially they have a really solid slate.

I really think the ACC is in the wrong on this. BYU has as much history as you could want from any P5 team. It's not my fight, but I really think they screwed up on that one.

they did byu a favor, let them know now why they wont be scheduled...theyre too good.

with 8 ACC games and either nd or the SEC, whats the point of adding byu to the schedule?

need to schedule wins.

with 9 rock solid games, why put a potential loss on there??

soon the bevo schedule deficit is going to come into play...and they will have to add to survive to get their teams into the F4 or whatever playoff format is out there.

7 bevo games, especially when its likely 3 or 4 the teams suck, and 5 guaranteed W's...wont cut it.

byu will be the 1st to go.

SU played NW and PSU last year and MIZZOU and USC the year before that. This year we have ND and UMD. I don't think that BYU's status as a P5/non-P5 team has any bearing on whether or not we will play them. We pretty solidly have the at least one P5 game" requirement met and then some.

I'm really starting to dislike the direction college football is going. BYU has earned respect and has been a solid program for years and this parsing down who is and who isn't acceptable is going to change the landscape and to me, not in a good way.

SmilinBob said:
I'm really starting to dislike the direction college football is going. BYU has earned respect and has been a solid program for years and this parsing down who is and who isn't acceptable is going to change the landscape and to me, not in a good way.

Starting to?

The P5 has essentially ruled that half of D-1 is undesirable. If they had balls they'd mandate only scheduling other P5 schools, form their own "NCAA" and be done with it. But they like easy wins and legislative cover.

Starting to?

The P5 has essentially ruled that half of D-1 is undesirable. If they had balls they'd mandate only scheduling other P5 schools, form their own "NCAA" and be done with it. But they like easy wins and legislative cover.

If they did that I wouldn't be surprised that the rest of college football could become the AFL like in 1960. I don't like the haves and have not thing whatsoever. I get not playing D2 or whatever they are called now but seriously if anything should be enforced it's the 8 to 9 home games some schools play. OSU goes to 1 P5 every other year and on the other years they have 4 OOC home games. One big name school each year and people overlook the rest of the schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom