Syracuse football head coach Scott Shafer reveals how he's sped up the Orange's recruiting process | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football head coach Scott Shafer reveals how he's sped up the Orange's recruiting process

GoSU96 said:
Explains a lot. Bird in the hand approach. Time will tell.

I think they'll modify the "realistic chance with pile" to include more high caliber recruits as they get that early jump and as they improve on the field (hopefully). It's this years class that bears the brunt a bit.

Should be interesting.

Seem to make some sense but I would love to know where that line is drawn.

This slightly concerns me, will be interesting to see if this approach gives them the success they had in years prior.

if you think about it, it all sounds logical. I am job hunting right now, for a new opportunity. If there was a job i had a real genuine interest in and they said i had to pay my way to interview, i would go. If i wasnt really interested, i probably wouldnt. Its really that simple. It makes some sense. I do realize that some of these kids are low income and have no means to get there, so yeah, it'd have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
This slightly concerns me, will be interesting to see if this approach gives them the success they had in years prior.

Do you have a specific reason or just a general sense of ill ease? For me, the devil is in the details. Are they simply doing this to sort of guarantee that the incoming class is better than the previous one (from top to bottom)? After all, if you do this each year you raise the bar each year. But do you also limit your upside? Fascinating.

We'll see how many de-commits this early verbal commitment approach results in. Opens that door a little wider I would think.

We'll see how many de-commits this early verbal commitment approach results in. Opens that door a little wider I would think.
I disagree with that statement. Having kids committed this long builds a better relationship and makes it harder for the kid to turn his back.

I'm not saying that it will absolutely result in more de-commits. Just wondering if it will?

Who is "them"? The current staff has only had 1.5 years on the (recruiting) job and the jury is still out on whether they have been successful, in terms of wins.

I get the strategy. I think this is a promising attempt to raise the level of recruiting over the long term. We've moved passed filling out classes with JUCOs. Now we're filling out classes with gambles on high schoolers - either trying to grab a highly rated guy at the end or hoping a B lister outplays their listing. That's a tough pattern to break out of.

So, this year you maybe do what Shafer and co are going for, because you believe a jump start on 2016 pays off, and you figure, hey, we know in the end we'd accept some of these kids anyway, and we know we'll get some guys we really like early, so let's get it done. Then next year with the lead time you have you go a little bigger. Then a little bigger. And you hope you break the cycle.

I mean who knows if it works but I like that there's a plan.

I just think its a realistic approach and saves time and energy with many kids who are just wasting the staffs time. On the flip side it's all part of the game and the staff knows this. If it works it's pure genius. If it doesn't, people will crucify him. If we are going to get some highly touted kids it will be through relationships that were built over a couple years. As I have said time and time again, I dont think you will ever see a top 25 class at Syracuse in today's landscape

Wonder how much losing out on some of the high profile NY guys in the last few years shaped HNSS' decision to proceed this way.

if you think about it, it all sounds logical. I am job hunting right now, for a new opportunity. If there was a job i had a real genuine interest in and they said i had to pay my way to interview, i would go. If i wasnt really interested, i probably wouldnt. Its really that simple. It makes some sense. I do realize that some of these kids are low income and have no means to get there, so yeah, it'd have to be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Good luck with the job search. Hopefully, you're employed and just testing the waters. Its usually easier to find a new position while you currently have a position.

I understand the approach, especially considering Schafer feels that they have been playing catch-up all along. I don't know if this now puts them at the stage they want to be in the future, but I hope that this isn't the approach that will always be made, otherwise, they are placing a self-imposed limit on the upside of each class.

I assume (hope) the goal is to be able to make evaluations far enough in advance, that they can start making offers earlier, and build the relationships that will be necessary to convince higher rated kids that SU is the place for them. IMO, there has been a start in that direction, with quite a few offers/contact with '16 & '17 kids already. The only thing we don't know, is whether they are now where they want to be, or if there is still more catch-up to be done.

I am all for having kids that want to be at SU. There is no way a kid can maximize their capabilities as a player unless they are all in.

We know that SU is a great place to go. We know that the opportunity is definitely there for kids to someday be playing on Sunday, if they come to SU. We know there is nothing like the family atmosphere at SU. The staff just needs to have the time to make the evaluations necessary to get involved with and build the relationships that will be needed to bring in ever more talented kids. It would be a shame if they "left talent on the table" just to fill the roster early every year. IMO, that is not a long term answer to creating a top 25 team.

We aren't out on a limb here. Recruiting is speeding up at all our principal rivals as well -- look at the lists for BC, RU and Pitt.

Maybe the question is whether we hold a few more spots back for the prospects that emerge in their senior years (Eskridge is an example) or were hoping for elite offers but didn't get them or needed to boost grades or just weren't ready to decide in the summer.

Our staff in past years has done well with late scrambling, but it feels good to know they can focus on the season and the 2016 class.

I dont think it really changes all that much when you look back at what we usually get, its the same type of kids, the only difference is not holding off on some kids and reaching for others than we have never really gotten anyway. if the line they are drawing is really the right line and hasnt been lowered, then just the kids we have seen the last couple of years is showing they are doing a solid job of getting kids in who can help. if they can keep all the commits then you never are reaching below the line and we know we have in the past.. the question is, is this new line higher than 4-8 years ago. SS has been here long enough to know if this new line is trending.

Good luck with the job search. Hopefully, you're employed and just testing the waters. Its usually easier to find a new position while you currently have a position.

Thanks for the kind words. I am gainfully employed. Recently had a kid, and am just sick of the grind and waste of 3 hour round trip commuting into the city. Am being very selective about the new position. Basically want to work exclusively from home with minimal (less than 25% travel). Problem is, that if i dont want to travel, i usually have to be in an office everyday. And if i want to work from home, it means a lot of travel to clients. We'll see, what happens. Have turned down a few opportunities already. Job market looks healthy from what i have experienced. SU Engineering grad.