Syracuse football rivalries | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football rivalries

Rocco

Watching you.
Penn State - 69 games (23-41-5)
Pitt - 67 games (30-34-3)
West Virginia - 60 games (33-27) and has the Schwartzwalder Trophy. Zing.
Boston College - 46 games (28-18)

Looks like BC and Pitt are the only ones moving forward. Would love to strike up a long-term annual deal with both WVU and Penn State (I think we have 3 more scheduled games with them over next 9 years).

Looks like BC and Pitt are the only ones moving forward. Would love to strike up a long-term annual deal with both WVU and Penn State (I think we have 3 more scheduled games with them over next 9 years).

Depends on what you call a "Rivalry". Is a rivalry a rivalry because you have played another team a lot of times?

I'm not sure I agree. A rivalry is a team you are highly motivated because of the history between the two schools.

When we were close to 50-50 with PSU in the early 1970's they really were our rivals as we had dueled yearly for Eastern Indy supremacy all through the late 1950's and the 1960's.

Nowadays, OOC match-ups with PSU and WVU are interesting contests that are as close to being local as we can probably get.

But I always liked it when we played teams we don't normally play.

If you're going to list them, why not list Colgate too?

Someone should send this info to the freshman, esp. any WPa recruits. Make it their mission to get us out of the red before they leave here.

West Virginia is definitely the most active. I love that their fanbase thinks that they are so much more of an important football program, and we just pounded them the last 3 times we've played. Penn State would be a great rivalry if we we could win one every once in a while. Its tough when we play them once every couple of years and they beat us handily. If they played us every year and beat us handily, then we may have something (ie miami in the prime of big east football). Pitt is just a parellel program that is just ehhh. I want to beat them, but dont really care how they do overall. BC - i dont know. I always view them as kinda of like buttgers - a lesser program that has had a few good years.

In my opinion. We kick the crud out of Clemson when they come to the Dome! Lets show those Rebs that Yankees can play some football! Start a new rivalry. Ok taking a deep breath, but I am ready for some football Hank!

In my opinion. We kick the crud out of Clemson when they come to the Dome! Lets show those Rebs that Yankees can play some football! Start a new rivalry. Ok taking a deep breath, but I am ready for some football Hank!
Just like DMcNabb did in the Gator Bowl

West Virginia is definitely the most active. I love that their fanbase thinks that they are so much more of an important football program, and we just pounded them the last 3 times we've played. Penn State would be a great rivalry if we we could win one every once in a while. Its tough when we play them once every couple of years and they beat us handily. If they played us every year and beat us handily, then we may have something (ie miami in the prime of big east football). Pitt is just a parellel program that is just ehhh. I want to beat them, but dont really care how they do overall. BC - i dont know. I always view them as kinda of like buttgers - a lesser program that has had a few good years.

August 31st--mark it on your calendar-it's gonna be one of those every-once-in-a-whiles!

August 31st--mark it on your calendar-it's gonna be one of those every-once-in-a-whiles!

That would be great. Color me skeptical. I just don't think PSU has taken quite the it that everyone expected -- and that they deserve. It just didn't seem to hurt their recruiting, they're still on TV. What exactly is their punishment again? Did they have to cut back on hotdog vendors?

That would be great. Color me skeptical. I just don't think PSU has taken quite the it that everyone expected -- and that they deserve. It just didn't seem to hurt their recruiting, they're still on TV. What exactly is their punishment again? Did they have to cut back on hotdog vendors?

I'm not skeptical of a Syracuse win against them this year at all. I don't care if the kid is a 6-star recruit - they are bringing in an 18 year old true freshman in his first ever college game in MetLife Stadium against a Scott Shafer defense full of veteran LBs and a veteran secondary - that kid is going to get Tom Savaged on the 31st!

What exactly is their punishment again? All showering must have a proctor and all showerees must have soap attached to their wrists by a cord. Bending over results in automatic ejection.

It would be nice to schedule a series with Rutgers but it seems both programs think too highly of themselves to make it happen.

Love to hate me some CHokies.....

It would be nice to schedule a series with Rutgers but it seems both programs think too highly of themselves to make it happen.

When they are in the B1G it will happen again I think.
Love to hate me some CHokies.....

Yep. We had that "home team always wins" thing going for a while till Mike Vick, the Riddle/Freeney got it back.

I prefer to look forward to new rivalries. I would love to have a true rivalry with both Clemson, oh sorry, Clempson, and NC State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom