Syracuse football sends Georgia high school recruit 64 letters in single day | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football sends Georgia high school recruit 64 letters in single day

Our mailings are certainly a lot higher quality than the others shown. The fact that all the messages are hand written makes them even more impressive.
When coach Lea authors them I can't imagine there being any more impressive handwriting from other schools. He wrote me a note on that Orange stationary just like the recruits are getting and I'm having it framed & displayed in my SU room if I ever get out of here.

Wildcat Blue Nation just penned this:

"The Orange appear to be mimicking a tactic utilized most famously by Kentucky’s Mark Stoops last summer as he chased quarterback Drew Barker and sent 115 pieces of mail.

When asked about it last year, Syracuse director of recruiting Eric White called the mass mailings “absurd,” saying there’s a fine line between effective and excessive.

The newest weapon in college football recruiting was featured in USA Today and, for some programs, it paid dividends.

Stoops landed Barker, and Alabama’s Nick Saban successfully recruited running back Alvin Kamara, who received 105 letters from the Tide but recently transferred.

Like all love letters, there are no guarantees the good feelings last forever.

Defensive end Harrison Phillips spurned Duke’s 115 letters, Clifton Garrett turned down Mississippi State’s 54 and running back Devante Downs eventually turned down Oregon State’s 101.

With eight verbal commitments already, Syracuse seems to have upgraded its recruiting efforts significantly and, in the cases of Barry and Sheppard, the Orange appears to have only improved its chances."

http://wildcatbluenation.com/2014/0...-playing-time-kentucky-wildcats-foreign-tour/

"The Orange appear to be mimicking a tactic utilized most famously by Kentucky’s Mark Stoops last summer as he chased quarterback Drew Barker and sent 115 pieces of mail.

When asked about it last year, Syracuse director of recruiting Eric White called the mass mailings “absurd,” saying there’s a fine line between effective and excessive.

The newest weapon in college football recruiting was featured in USA Today and, for some programs, it paid dividends.

Stoops landed Barker, and Alabama’s Nick Saban successfully recruited running back Alvin Kamara, who received 105 letters from the Tide but recently transferred.

Defensive end Harrison Phillips spurned Duke’s 115 letters, Clifton Garrett turned down Mississippi State’s 54 and running back Devante Downs eventually turned down Oregon State’s 101.

With eight verbal commitments already, Syracuse seems to have upgraded its recruiting efforts significantly and, in the cases of Barry and Sheppard, the Orange appears to have only improved its chances."

http://wildcatbluenation.com/2014/0...-playing-time-kentucky-wildcats-foreign-tour/

I think Eric White had it right the first time.

I agree. It is completely absurd. But if it works so be it.

That must have been the football program's thought progression.

As an aside, many seem to be disdainful of the NCAA. I, too, find their practices hypocritical (at best) and their decisions and enforcement capricious.

Situations like this, however, highlight why some ridiculous-looking rules might be drafted and they also present a good example of why college athletics needs some kind of regulatory body. If left to their own devices, college coaches and associated staff will -- even against their own better judgment, apparently -- do ridiculous and harmful things to attract the attention of teenagers.

As an aside, many seem to be disdainful of the NCAA. I, too, find their practices hypocritical (at best) and their decisions and enforcement capricious.

Situations like this, however, highlight why some ridiculous-looking rules might be drafted and they also present a good example of why college athletics needs some kind of regulatory body. If left to their own devices, college coaches and associated staff will -- even against their own better judgment, apparently -- do ridiculous and harmful things to attract the attention of teenagers.

Yeah I agree. But this doesn't seem harmful, just a huge waste of time; and kind of reminiscent of the dude who asks a girl out, gets a soft 'maybe sometime', and then proceeds to inundate with flowers, chocolates, and requests to firm up a date.

Notre Dame's "Pot of Gold" is the most absurd of all...
ScreenShot2013-12-18at12.52.14PM_crop_north.png

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-pot-of-gold-package-with-477-pieces-of-mail

I can't wait to beat the gild off of Notre Dame.

Yeah I agree. But this doesn't seem harmful, just a huge waste of time; and kind of reminiscent of the dude who asks a girl out, gets a soft 'maybe sometime', and then proceeds to inundate with flowers, chocolates, and requests to firm up a date.

Maybe not quite harmful, but I don't think it's respectful of the teenage recipient or his family. Perhaps he gets a kick out of it, I don't know.

OttoMets said:

Recruiting has such a "To Catch a Predator" feel.

I'm not sure what to think about this. I know the current-day 37 year old MSOrange would find it quite annoying to get that many letters from someone. But the high-school MSOrange may have had a different perspective depending on how interested Iwas in the school.

The only thing I can relate it to is when I took the SATs and you had to pick 5 schools to send your scores to and I reallly only had 4 I was interested in. So I just threw on a fifth. That fifth school constantly called and sent me letters even though I had no interest in going to school at a remote college in the North Georgia mountains.

My sources tell me Jim Delany has sent the Oklahoma president 64 pieces of mail.

"Syracuse put its foot in its mouth big time this week when they sent a recruit 64 letters in one day... after they called out other schools for sending obscene amounts of mail to prospects. The recipient of the letters was DB Mohamed Berry of Grayson High School in Loganville, and judging by the tweet embedded in the article, he was thoroughly impressed by the unorthodox recruiting method. Look a bit closer and you'll see a Georgia Tech recruiting letter in the top right. Only one? I'm going to go ahead and guesst what CPJ wrote in that letter: "I guess you can come play here if you want. We have football and stuff, so yeah." Sounds about right to me. What do you all think was written in it? (For entertainment purposes, pretend like it was written by CPJ.)"
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...h-yellow-jackets-notes-news-links-june-3-2014

Maybe Eric White stands by both his statement last year and what he practices this year...maybe his definition of absurd is >65 pieces of mail ;)

"Syracuse put its foot in its mouth big time this week when they sent a recruit 64 letters in one day... after they called out other schools for sending obscene amounts of mail to prospects. The recipient of the letters was DB Mohamed Berry of Grayson High School in Loganville, and judging by the tweet embedded in the article, he was thoroughly impressed by the unorthodox recruiting method. Look a bit closer and you'll see a Georgia Tech recruiting letter in the top right. Only one? I'm going to go ahead and guesst what CPJ wrote in that letter: "I guess you can come play here if you want. We have football and stuff, so yeah." Sounds about right to me. What do you all think was written in it? (For entertainment purposes, pretend like it was written by CPJ.)"
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...h-yellow-jackets-notes-news-links-june-3-2014

By the tone of the Georgia articles i get the sense they dont like us and feel a little threatened. :)

Its dumb unless it works and he becomes a valuable player for us then I like it.