Syracuse football team will receive 15 extra practices | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football team will receive 15 extra practices

I really don't mean to be snarky, especially toward the Great Great Dave Rahme, but is this a surprise to anyone? I guess for some who don't follow college FB closely, but sheesh. Maybe it's just me...

The most interesting bit of news comes from the comments section of that article where Rahme says that Zach Allen will be enrolling in January. I, for one, hadn't heard that.

The most interesting bit of news comes from the comments section of that article where Rahme says that Zach Allen will be enrolling in January. I, for one, hadn't heard that.
I knew about Allen enrolling in January. I didn't know that Wilson was told he couldn't though. :p

This was on the premier board weeks ago. Where have you all been?

I knew about Allen enrolling in January. I didn't know that Wilson was told he couldn't though. :p
Yeah, Wilson's school board wouldn't give him the release even though he's completed all of his requirements to graduate.

Yeah, Wilson's school board wouldn't give him the release even though he's completed all of his requirements to graduate.
Yeah, that's BS. Guess it goes to show the difference in cultures between TX and PA.

Yeah, that's BS. Guess it goes to show the difference in cultures between TX and PA.

Is this what PA schools usually allow or would it have made a difference if Wilson was going to PSU?

While in practice (pun unintended) this story is true, technically the story's headline is incorrect.

Bowl eligibility merely makes a team eligible to be invited to a bowl. Acceptance of a bowl invitation is what provides the team with the 15 practices.

There have been years in the too-many-bowls era where there were too many teams eligible to fill the available bowl slots. Those teams that weren't invited didn't get the extra practices.

Not so sure its about football culture as opposed to the way the school year is set up.

I don't quite know how it works for Austin Wilson at East Pennsboro HS, but my girlfriend is also from the Harrisburg area, and she said they didn't have any half year classes in High School. Classes that could be taken over the course of just one semester instead fit over an entire school year.

While I can't guarantee this is what happened to Austin Wilson, my girlfriend said this is a regular practice at schools around her area.

If this is the case for Austin Wilson (halfway through a year of classes), I wonder if the school board was trying to avoid setting a precedent.

Side note- I have no concrete evidence for any of this. This is merely speculation.