Syracuse football will always be a stepping stone | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football will always be a stepping stone

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
The Syracuse football program is in a tough spot for stability. Going forward in the new college football landscape, it will pretty much be a stepping stone for any future head coach.

• We don't have the facilities to compete with the big boy BCS teams.
  • We don't have the capital to pay $2.5MM+ per year for a head coach to make the job super desirable.
  • We don't have the big money donors that are willing to invest in the program.
  • We don't have the economic environment in CNY to grow the fan base and corporate sponsorships.
It's a tough spot to retain a coach for more than 5 or 6 years. If they are successful at Syracuse then they will be easily poached by the NFL or a bigger BCS program. If they fail at Syracuse, they will be crucified by they fans within 3 or 4 years and sent to the depths of football coaching.

We're in a tough spot without the capital to improve it. But hey, at least we're not in UConn's shoes!

I've resigned to the fact that we're going to have a head coaching carousel every 4 to 5 years. We just need to keep hiring a guy that wants to prove himself and get good HC experience. Hire the up and comers. We're pretty much in the same boat that Cincinnati has been in for the past decade. They keep making amazing hires, we should be able to also.

Yeah yea yea so we blew it with an Alum. Noone but Marrone himself knows if there was ever a chance he'd be a lifer here.

Yes we are now going to be Cincinatti and lose any successful coach. I think fans need to calm down from now on whenever there are rumors that our coach is looking at another job. Its gonna be a part of life, and if our coach isn't rumored for other jobs I promise it means there will be people demanding the guy be fired.

The ACC still sucks the only conference losses I see are Clemson and FSU and I think we split those games. I don't think Marrone was irreplacable. I think theres a 10 win coach next year out there I just hope Gross doesn't up and make a stupid hire. But...most SU fans are throwing out some garbage names on the replacement thread so I hope Gross is smarter.

Hackett or Shaefer...or Jagodsinski, Tom Herman, Bob Diaco. Thats my 5 guys everyone else I see mentioned sounds crappy.

The Syracuse football program is in a tough spot for stability. Going forward in the new college football landscape, it will pretty much be a stepping stone for any future head coach.

• We don't have the facilities to compete with the big boy BCS teams.
  • We don't have the capital to pay $2.5MM+ per year for a head coach to make the job super desirable.
  • We don't have the big money donors that are willing to invest in the program.
  • We don't have the economic environment in CNY to grow the fan base and corporate sponsorships.
It's a tough spot to retain a coach for more than 5 or 6 years. If they are successful at Syracuse then they will be easily poached by the NFL or a bigger BCS program. If they fail at Syracuse, they will be crucified by they fans within 3 or 4 years and sent to the depths of football coaching.

We're in a tough spot without the capital to improve it. But hey, at least we're not in UConn's shoes!

I've resigned to the fact that we're going to have a head coaching carousel every 4 to 5 years. We just need to keep hiring a guy that wants to prove himself at get good HC experience. Hire the up and comers. We're pretty much in the same boat that Cincinnati has been in for the past decade. They keep making amazing hires, we should be able to also.

The unhighlighted bullets above are related. Until we have the third bullet then the first is unattainable.

The second bullet should soon be resolved by going to the ACC and the ACC remaining at the Big Boy table. When people say where will the ACC conference money go, part of it's into salaries, health benefits, etc. of all the sports coaching staff.

I remain optimistic, at the moment, in regard to bullet 4. I think Cuomo has this state moving in the right direction and I believe Onondaga County is ahead of the curve in terms of knowing what its potential economic strengths are and the city of Syracuse is trying to build a community that will attract younger and more vibrant people. Once the economy starts to improve we'll see growth in the area.

Cheers,
Neil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom