Syracuse freshman Chaz Owens follows in dad Billy’s footsteps: ‘There’s pressure, but I don’t feel that pressure’ | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse freshman Chaz Owens follows in dad Billy’s footsteps: ‘There’s pressure, but I don’t feel that pressure’

The article ended with a great quote from Billy that all basketball parents should follow regarding their kids playing time:

"Coach is going to do what he can do to win games,'' Owens said. "The rest is up to Chaz.''

Great article. I don't expect Chaz to play often at Syracuse but when he does he will be fun to watch.

The value of a smart high bbiq kid who is willing to do the little things and work his butt off is huge. Who knows the value playing related but for practice, team chemistry and everything else, having a kid like that has it's clear dividends.

The article ended with a great quote from Billy that all basketball parents should follow regarding their kids playing time:

"Coach is going to do what he can do to win games,'' Owens said. "The rest is up to Chaz.''

Great article. I don't expect Chaz to play often at Syracuse but when he does he will be fun to watch.
I would not jump to any conclusions about Chaz's PT until we see how he looks on the court. From his video he looked very smooth and he appears to play smart. He has good size for the backcourt and he may well have a decent three point stroke. It was impossible to tell how well he defends, which could go a long ways towards his getting some run if he turns out to be a plus defender. If he turns out to be a solid three and D player he just might see the court as an upperclassman. Jury is out in my mind.

this will be the 3rd father/son combo coached by boeheim (plus an uncle/nephew) . . . i wonder if that is close to the record for a d1 coach?

Last edited:
Buck up little buckeroo, the Owens' are Orange legends, work hard and you will be one too.

The story line if he were to be a player that develops and contributes would be awesome. Even if he could be like Hopkins in terms of just being a floor burn guy would be great. That said if he doesn't it's still a nice addition for practice bodies.

Beyond being Billy's kid, I love what was in the article about his basketball IQ and willingness to do the little things that many ignore. I'll be rooting like crazy he was overlooked in high school and earns his way onto the court.

The quote suggests he doesn’t understand his role. There is no pressure as the 13th guy on JBs bench unless 7 guys contract COVID.
You don't think he has had pressure his whole life to be an elite basketball player?

The pressure will be answering, "Why aren't you playing more?"

I predict there will be a game in his carreer here where we will have to rely on him and he'll come through for a big win.