Syracuse has done a pretty good job scheduling quality non-conference opposition in recent years | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse has done a pretty good job scheduling quality non-conference opposition in recent years

Syracuse especially but also BC and Pitt should do well with the 8 game league schedules, if they have good leadership.

It is in the best interests of ESPN, and thus the leagues they back (ACC and SEC) if they play often. SEC teams lack only 1 thing: direct access to large northeastern markets. A wise Syracuse AD would know that for for SU to reach its potential in football, it must become NY's team, truly. And that cannot be accomplished if Syracuse is not playing 1 quality (preferably Big Name) team inside the NYC TV market each year.

So, if I were SU AD, I would be working with MetLife and Yankee Stadium. I also would be working with the SEC ADs and even trying to get the SEC office to help, so that an SEC Big Name plays in NYC at last every other year. So, as AD, I would agree to play the biggest name SEC teams with SU Home games in NYC.

I would not give up a game in Syracuse to play Miss St or Kentucky or Vandy or SoCar or Arkansas or Ole Miss or Missouri. But playing Bama, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee in NYC is worth not playing in Syracuse.

WoadBlue said:
Syracuse especially but also BC and Pitt should do well with the 8 game league schedules, if they have good leadership. It is in the best interests of ESPN, and thus the leagues they back (ACC and SEC) if they play often. SEC teams lack only 1 thing: direct access to large northeastern markets. A wise Syracuse AD would know that for for SU to reach its potential in football, it must become NY's team, truly. And that cannot be accomplished if Syracuse is not playing 1 quality (preferably Big Name) team inside the NYC TV market each year. So, if I were SU AD, I would be working with MetLife and Yankee Stadium. I also would be working with the SEC ADs and even trying to get the SEC office to help, so that an SEC Big Name plays in NYC at last every other year. So, as AD, I would agree to play the biggest name SEC teams with SU Home games in NYC. I would not give up a game in Syracuse to play Miss St or Kentucky or Vandy or SoCar or Arkansas or Ole Miss or Missouri. But playing Bama, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee in NYC is worth not playing in Syracuse.

Been there, done that.

Pass.

I can't wait til we kill the MetLife contract we have.

Syracuse especially but also BC and Pitt should do well with the 8 game league schedules, if they have good leadership.

It is in the best interests of ESPN, and thus the leagues they back (ACC and SEC) if they play often. SEC teams lack only 1 thing: direct access to large northeastern markets. A wise Syracuse AD would know that for for SU to reach its potential in football, it must become NY's team, truly. And that cannot be accomplished if Syracuse is not playing 1 quality (preferably Big Name) team inside the NYC TV market each year.

So, if I were SU AD, I would be working with MetLife and Yankee Stadium. I also would be working with the SEC ADs and even trying to get the SEC office to help, so that an SEC Big Name plays in NYC at last every other year. So, as AD, I would agree to play the biggest name SEC teams with SU Home games in NYC.

I would not give up a game in Syracuse to play Miss St or Kentucky or Vandy or SoCar or Arkansas or Ole Miss or Missouri. But playing Bama, LSU, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee in NYC is worth not playing in Syracuse.
Well, we've had Florida and Tennessee in the Dome in the past, and LSU will visit in the next couple of years.

What is the reasonable dollar amount for playing Bama in NYC? If we made say 5 million or more playing Bama in NYC then to me it's worth it. We need that dough to improve facilities and salaries.

No thanks. Next your going to say we have to start playing the FSU & Miami games in NYC. NYC will never be a home game for Syracuse football. It's a road trip and the opponents we play/played there have huge enormous fan bases (not including Pinstripe or Kickoff Classic type games that are supposedly to be neutral sites) . SU will never have the fan bases that USC, Penn St, Notre Dame and Alabama have. And as others have said, we've already had Florida and Tennessee (as well as Ohio St, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Michigan) in the Dome. Don't lessen the "home" product/experience.

No thanks. Next your going to say we have to start playing the FSU & Miami games in NYC. NYC will never be a home game for Syracuse football. It's a road trip and the opponents we play/played there have huge enormous fan bases (not including Pinstripe or Kickoff Classic type games that are supposedly to be neutral sites) . SU will never have the fan bases that USC, Penn St, Notre Dame and Alabama have. And as others have said, we've already had Florida and Tennessee (as well as Ohio St, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Michigan) in the Dome. Don't lessen the "home" product/experience.
Syracuse will NEVER move a league game to Giants Stadium, NEVER, but continuing to play a game every year or every other year just makes way to much sense as phat pointed out.

there is a right way and a whole lot of wrong ways to do this, and yes...we've debated them here so long and often that even the 4 horses of the Apocolypse take 1 look at this board and go...'umm, is there anywhere else we can ride?? this wont end well for us??'

Last edited:
Syracuse will NEVER move a league game to Giants Stadium, NEVER, but continuing to play a game every year or every other year just makes way to much sense as phat pointed out.

there is a right way and a whole lot of wrong ways to do this, and yes...we've debated them here so long and often that even the 4 horses of the Apocolypse take 1 look at this board and go...'umm, is there anywhere else we can ride?? this wont end well for us??'

only if renovations of dome forced all home games to be played away

only if renovations of dome forced all home games to be played away
im just waiting to shoot that silver bullet.

when the time comes to fire that one...and its inevitable...its going to be awesome.

it will fall on an even year...fla st and lville at Giants Stadium.

maybe next year...lsu and clemson at Giants Stadium.

the crappy games they can play in buffalo.

That's why we are Syracuse and that's why history matters. We have consistently played the best teams in the nation, even in our down years. You have to play the best and win some of those games to put yourself in the national conversation. You don't build a national program by playing a joke schedule. That's one of the things I'm proud of as a Syracuse fan. We have always been willing to play the best.