Syracuse has not been "lucky" at all this year | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse has not been "lucky" at all this year

cmr27

All Conference
I've noticed several posters reference the fact that SU has been "lucky" so far this year, most notably against WF and Toldeo. The biggest problem with people who claim SU has been "lucky" is their total separation from reality. The people who say SU has been "lucky" are talking about what SHOULD have happened instead of talking about what has ACTUALLY happened. As a general rule, you don't want to engage in a "lucky" discussion when talking about sports.

I'll use the WF game as an example.

HERE'S THE ONE AND ONLY REALITY.

The WF QB got hurt and left the game. SU won the game.

LUCK DISCUSSIONS CENTER ON WHAT NEVER HAPPENED. IGNORE THEM.

The WF QB might not have been hurt (or the extra point might have been called no good). None of this happened, yet there are threads talking about something that never happened. The "SU is lucky" meme is defeatist and there is not end to it once you go down this path.

Anyone who tolerates discussions of "lucky" in the Toledo or WF games must surely realize what would have happened had the QB not been hurt/the kick been good. Mischievous SU fans would have argued that SU lose because of luck (e.g. That extra point should have been called good/That QB is lucky he didn't get knocked out of the game).

Mischievous SU fans would have said that extra points are almost always never missed, and when they are missed, it is extraordinary bad lucky involving kickers who aren't even football players.
What are the odds of a missed extra point after all?

COWBOY UP, SYRACUSE FANS. LUCK DISCUSSIONS ARE PARLOR GAMES THAT KNOW NO END.

We can talk about "luck" all day long because the only limit is our imagination. Who knows, if things had worked out differently, Alabama's Trent Richardson would be at Syracuse. Maybe he would have rushed for 280 yards against WF or Toledo, and maybe SU would have won by 5 TDs.

Honestly, what is more likely than a game changing call by the officials or a serious injury? Who is surprised when this happens? Really? Are injuries and blown calls a phenomena known only to Syracuse sports?

Reality is that we are 4-2. There are plenty of flaws, I agree, and no one knows how this will end up. Let's not recriminate over the past. These kids and coaches are working really hard. No need to diminish what they are trying to do by calling it "luck".

I thought this was worth saying because people aren't sure if we are "lucky" or "good" at 4-2. I say good but we'll see.

I don't know if I agree with all you write, but there's no question some teams are "luckier" than others, and I'm convinced it's not all by chance. As much as it pains me to admit it, Virginia Tech is one. Some teams make their own "luck" and some are snake-bit .

I've noticed several posters reference the fact that SU has been "lucky" so far this year, most notably against WF and Toldeo. The biggest problem with people who claim SU has been "lucky" is their total separation from reality. The people who say SU has been "lucky" are talking about what SHOULD have happened instead of talking about what has ACTUALLY happened. As a general rule, you don't want to engage in a "lucky" discussion when talking about sports.

I'll use the WF game as an example.

HERE'S THE ONE AND ONLY REALITY.

The WF QB got hurt and left the game. SU won the game.

LUCK DISCUSSIONS CENTER ON WHAT NEVER HAPPENED. IGNORE THEM.

The WF QB might not have been hurt (or the extra point might have been called no good). None of this happened, yet there are threads talking about something that never happened. The "SU is lucky" meme is defeatist and there is not end to it once you go down this path.

Anyone who tolerates discussions of "lucky" in the Toledo or WF games must surely realize what would have happened had the QB not been hurt/the kick been good. Mischievous SU fans would have argued that SU lose because of luck (e.g. That extra point should have been called good/That QB is lucky he didn't get knocked out of the game).

Mischievous SU fans would have said that extra points are almost always never missed, and when they are missed, it is extraordinary bad lucky involving kickers who aren't even football players.
What are the odds of a missed extra point after all?

COWBOY UP, SYRACUSE FANS. LUCK DISCUSSIONS ARE PARLOR GAMES THAT KNOW NO END.

We can talk about "luck" all day long because the only limit is our imagination. Who knows, if things had worked out differently, Alabama's Trent Richardson would be at Syracuse. Maybe he would have rushed for 280 yards against WF or Toledo, and maybe SU would have won by 5 TDs.

Honestly, what is more likely than a game changing call by the officials or a serious injury? Who is surprised when this happens? Really? Are injuries and blown calls a phenomena known only to Syracuse sports?

Reality is that we are 4-2. There are plenty of flaws, I agree, and no one knows how this will end up. Let's not recriminate over the past. These kids and coaches are working really hard. No need to diminish what they are trying to do by calling it "luck".

I thought this was worth saying because people aren't sure if we are "lucky" or "good" at 4-2. I say good but we'll see.
Your toledo point is totally incoherent.

It is definitely very good luck to have a missed PAT called good after a review in a game that goes to overtime.

Just because something different might've happened had it been called no good (who knows maybe the defense tries extra extra hard to take the ball away instead of just extra hard!) doesn't mean it wasn't a huge break.

SU got some breaks to go their way and they've had some breaks go the other way. It tends to even out over the course of the season and you end up with a record that is indicative of how you normally played against the level of competition you played.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom