Syracuse is becoming the Cobra Kai of College Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse is becoming the Cobra Kai of College Basketball

Alsacs

Living Legend
I for one love being the Cobra Kai as I am getting asked questions galore about Boeheim and his ly attitude. Most of the ACC had no idea how opinionated this guy actually is. Syracuse becoming more hated nationally actually increases our brand a la Duke or the Yankees, Patriots. If you generate a reaction its good for you school as long as it isn't criminal. I remember hating Christian Laettner and Duke in the early 90's. Luckily our Laettner isn't a current player, but JB. If this team could win a NC title honestly we could move up a peg nationally and we are close to the top. If people will tune into your game either to root for you or root against you like they do for Duke then you are a top brand.

I know why you would say this but I disagree. Our players are all pretty benign guys. I don't think anybody hates our players. They don't celebrate, they don't jaw. There are no Devendorfs on the team. Also we don't have any kind of playing dirty type reputation. I'd say Pitt is the Cobra Kai of College Basketball in that I can totally picture Dixon yelling "Sweep the Leg" from the sideline (except it would be "Gouge the Eye." Also, like Cobra Kai, Pitt has never won jack squat.

I for one love being the Cobra Kai as I am getting asked questions galore about Boeheim and his ly attitude. Most of the ACC had no idea how opinionated this guy actually is. Syracuse becoming more hated nationally actually increases our brand a la Duke or the Yankees, Patriots. If you generate a reaction its good for you school as long as it isn't criminal. I remember hating Christian Laettner and Duke in the early 90's. Luckily our Laettner isn't a current player, but JB. If this team could win a NC title honestly we could move up a peg nationally and we are close to the top. If people will tune into your game either to root for you or root against you like they do for Duke then you are a top brand.

So SU goes from a gritty, gutty, clutch team to that because of JB's edge.

Got it.

I can see the old ACC resenting SU's immedate success, but that's just jealousy and envy. SU is not wearing black and they aren't out there metaphorically sweeping legs.

A couple of weeks ago the great thing about SU was the lack of attitude, now it's a bunch of bully preppies?

Got it.

I can see the old ACC resenting SU's immedate success, but that's just jealousy and envy. SU is not wearing black and they aren't out there metaphorically sweeping legs.

A couple of weeks ago the great thing about SU was the lack of attitude, now it's a bunch of bully preppies?
I remember when Georgetown's warmups used to look like Cobra Kai suits. Black coats with hoods.

I actually think this started in the 11-12 season. The ACC move being announced gave us a huge hit in the BE media, especially given that the announcement was not timed very well in light of Dave Gavitt's death. Then the Fine scandal hit and JB called the accusers liars and the multiple calls to fire him. Then of course the Fab Melo saga and the "throw a dart at the rule book" nonsense.

We've been a heel for a while. And like you said, it's awesome. The tears and perpetual whining of those jealous of our program are nourishment to my soul.

Got it.

I am not saying the players are punks I am saying the program is hated nationally. I honestly can't find anybody that has a positive view about our program right now nationally that isn't an SU/JB fan. Its not a bad thing to be the Cobra Kai as I said it increases our brand. If people will watch to root against you it isn't a bad thing. The players aren't the lighting rod its JB.

If calling us as NKR1978 a wrestling heel makes it sound better fine. We are the wrestling bad guy everyone likes to boo.

Got it.

I think you took this way to seriously.

I know why you would say this but I disagree. Our players are all pretty benign guys. I don't think anybody hates our players. They don't celebrate, they don't jaw. There are no Devendorfs on the team. Also we don't have any kind of playing dirty type reputation. I'd say Pitt is the Cobra Kai of College Basketball in that I can totally picture Dixon yelling "Sweep the Leg" from the sideline (except it would be "Gouge the Eye." Also, like Cobra Kai, Pitt has never won jack squat.

That's the irony. This is BY far the most likable team we've had and is up there with the 2010 team. These guys don't even do that Stauskas crap with the 3 fingers up (not that we ever hit any 3's to do that, but I digress). No stolen bathrobes. No academic issues as far as we know. No showboating or getting in people's faces. They help up their opponents even in pressure situations in these hard fought games. Tyler Ennis barely even smiles. Even 2010 had some swagger. This team just goes to work.

That's the irony. This is BY far the most likable team we've had and is up there with the 2010 team. These guys don't even do that Stauskas crap with the 3 fingers up (not that we ever hit any 3's to do that, but I digress). No stolen bathrobes. No academic issues as far as we know. No showboating or getting in people's faces. They help up their opponents even in pressure situations in these hard fought games. Tyler Ennis barely even smiles. Even 2010 had some swagger. This team just goes to work.
Its not the players that make us the Cobra Kai as you stated above its all the crap you perfectly stated above and greatness of Jim Arthur Boeheim rubbing off on others. We are the wrestling bad guy now and this team is actually very likable if people watched them.

Tyler Ennis is a Canadian ... so we aren't 100% likable.

We need some swagger.

I think what made Elisabeth Shue so appealing is that she was hot, but she was like... attainable hot. She wasn't some genetically engineered fembot like Kate Upton that no normal guy could ever get, she was real person attractive.

Leaving Las Vegas is a must watch for Shue fans.

I think what made Elisabeth Shue so appealing is that she was hot, but she was like... attainable hot. She wasn't some genetically engineered fembot like Kate Upton that no normal guy could ever get, she was real person attractive.

I still think she is hot as hell. God I sound like JarHeadJim.

Forget Cobra Kai I'm assuming this approximates the conversations in our post game huddle:

Coach Boeheim: Hey! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

Trevor: The open road, a fast car, coin in your pocket, and Jennifer Love Hewitt at your side.

Coach Boeheim: Wrong! CJ! What is best in life?

CJ: To crush your enemies, see them dunked on by Rak, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Coach Boeheim: That is good! That is good.

Kate Upton looks pretty normal to me. Have you seen her when she's not all airbrushed?