Syracuse MVP | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse MVP

grepal

Starter
As tough as it for figuring out who our sixth man shoulb be how about trying to figure out the SU MVP award.

Is it Scoop, have not seen much "Scupidity" this year, and have seen clutch shooting and solid leadership.

Kris, leading scorer, has been big in many games this year.

Fab, only loss of the season was when he was out and he is a game changer defensively as well as an important piece on offense with his pick and roll play along with very solid FT shooting for a big guy.

I thonk a lot of would say the bench, but it's an individual waard so the bench as a whole is not eligible.

Definitely a season where you shouldn't try to decide before the season is done.

MAP (Most Assertive Player): Dion
MEP (Most Enjoyable Player): Fair
MIP (Most Indispensable Player): Fab
MOP (Most Outstanding Player): Joseph
MUP (Most Under-rated Player): Scoop

At this point, it has to be Scoop, but there is still a lot of basketball ahead of us.

Scoop is such an amazing story on so many levels, considering where he came from and where he is now. For a variety of unrelated reasons, I've been part of different chapters in the story. I hope the story continues to get even better with each new chapter.

At this point, it has to be Scoop, but there is still a lot of basketball ahead of us.

Scoop is such an amazing story on so many levels, considering where he came from and where he is now. For a variety of unrelated reasons, I've been part of different chapters in the story. I hope the story continues to get even better with each new chapter.

If he leads the team to a Final Four, he will have to be considered among the all time great SU point guards. If they get that far, he could end up top 3 all time in assists, he will be top 40 in points scored, and of course an important piece of not one but two 30 win campaigns and not one but two outright BE titles.

Who would have guessed that he would end up becoming (perhaps) the most accomplished of the vaunted 2007 recruiting class (Greene, Flynn, Jackson and Scoop), especially after the two run ins with the law early in his career?

That's what happens when you stay in school. You grow as a person and player.

I would say Scoop right now, but he needs to keep showing his "grown-up" self for another 6-7 weeks to earn the award.

Couldn't you argue it's Fab Melo? Based on what he means to this team? We saw the difference in how they looked with him and without him. Not saying he is, just saying there could be an argument for him.

James Arthur Boeheim, for molding a team of seemingly disparate components into a legitimate national title contender, with the players completely buying into the team concept of sacrificing PT / shots / points in the interest of "W's."

I'll go with Fab. Certainly he is the Most Indispensable Player but I also think he's the guy I'd pick first if making up a team from scratch.

I'll go with Fab. Certainly he is the Most Indispensable Player but I also think he's the guy I'd pick first if making up a team from scratch.
Tough decision to make. I'll go with Fab also cause we saw what the team was like when Fab was out. You take Scoop out of the equation and you still have Dion, BT and MCW. You take Fab out of the equation and you have BMK and Rak.

I am surprised there is no mention of CJ in this thread. He has been our most consistant player, and he has had the most intra-season improvement in his game. He has really come on of late and is showing us a new level of athleticism. We may well have lost two of our last three wo him.

It is easy to argue Scoop for leadership, Fab for most indispensible at his position, or Kris for a combo of consistancy & senior leadership.

In reality, there is no clearcut MVP on this team, all I am saying is that I think CJ should be as much a part of the conversation as anybody else.

a month ago it would have been fab and dion as co mvps. now? who the hell knows. id probably give it to fab just for his defensive presence alone. theres no replacing that. scoop is giving him a run though.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk

There is no other choice here but Fab Melo he is this teams MVP because of the lack of depth at that position. If Scoop wasn't here Dion would start and MCW would get more time and we would still be a top 5 team.

I think I’ll have to go with Fab. Not as a slight to any of the other strong candidates but he is the player that we could least afford to be without, thus most valuable. I'd put Fair as a close second. He is consistent and does a lot of the dirty work that others on the team can't or won't do.

If he leads the team to a Final Four, he will have to be considered among the all time great SU point guards. If they get that far, he could end up top 3 all time in assists, he will be top 40 in points scored, and of course an important piece of not one but two 30 win campaigns and not one but two outright BE titles.

Who would have guessed that he would end up becoming (perhaps) the most accomplished of the vaunted 2007 recruiting class (Greene, Flynn, Jackson and Scoop), especially after the two run ins with the law early in his career?

I agree. An interesting question would be, how many point guards have had better seasons than the one Scoop is having right now?

Since I've been watching basketball, only Sherm, Pearl, and Autry come to mind as guys who have had one or more years that were definitely better than the one Scoop has had this year.

I think you can at least argue that Scoop's year (while not statistically better do to Boeheim going deep into his bench) has been more efficient and effective than anything McNamara, Flynn, Hart, Sims, etc. have done. Though I could see counter arguments as well.

I agree. An interesting question would be, how many point guards have had better seasons than the one Scoop is having right now?

Since I've been watching basketball, only Sherm, Pearl, and Autry come to mind as guys who have had one or more years that were definitely better than the one Scoop has had this year.

I think you can at least argue that Scoop's year (while not statistically better do to Boeheim going deep into his bench) has been more efficient and effective than anything McNamara, Flynn, Hart, Sims, etc. have done. Though I could see counter arguments as well.
and, as I noted, he has now done it twice . . . his numbers in 2010 were also quite good, enough to earn him Sporting News Sixth Man of the Year. He is even better across the board this season, with the exception of overall offensive efficiency (which is almost entirely due to his free throw shooting falling off the table).

I am starting to think that his playmaking ability is going to get him a legit shot at the NBA. The league is desperate for pure points.