Syracuse players Macky MacPherson, Jay Bromley noticed Doug Marrone's business-like approach | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse players Macky MacPherson, Jay Bromley noticed Doug Marrone's business-like approach

I have said since the day Marrone took the Bills job, he is an NFL guy, he works like one and he treats his players like one. No surprise that he left.

It is extremely optimistic to think that the OL and the offense as a whole will not miss his game planning and coaching abilities. Especially when you consider McDonald only has limited experience calling plays and being an OC.

Marrone needed to have a player-responsibility approach when he took over. There was little to no accountability under G-Rob. Of course Shafer will be more friendly and hands-on. He doesn't have to completely remake the culture of the program.

Lastly, I am not one to bash the PS guys, but this article reads awkwardly. It seems like it is fishing for controversy when there is really not any.. It is two different head coaches in two different situations having different personalities.

At a function this spring one of the new coaches indicated that when Coach Marrone was in charge only one coach was truly intense - Scott Shafer.

During the 2013 spring, he said, the kids had to get used to nine coaches applying that level of intensity.

Shafer may be a "players coach" but he is very tough and his assistants are apparently very much like him in that regard.

Lastly, I am not one to bash the PS guys, but this article reads awkwardly. It seems like it is fishing for controversy when there is really not any.. It is two different head coaches in two different situations having different personalities.

I thought it was fine-Much better than the previous one on Shafer

At a function this spring one of the new coaches indicated that when Coach Marrone was in charge only one coach was truly intense - Scott Shafer.

During the 2013 spring, he said, the kids had to get used to nine coaches applying that level of intensity.

Shafer may be a "players coach" but he is very tough and his assistants are apparently very much like him in that regard.

I would say "that smells like a whole lotta hardnosed," but my nose is too hard to smell. #SUFootball

I have said since the day Marrone took the Bills job, he is an NFL guy, he works like one and he treats his players like one. No surprise that he left.

It is extremely optimistic to think that the OL and the offense as a whole will not miss his game planning and coaching abilities. Especially when you consider McDonald only has limited experience calling plays and being an OC.

Marrone needed to have a player-responsibility approach when he took over. There was little to no accountability under G-Rob. Of course Shafer will be more friendly and hands-on. He doesn't have to completely remake the culture of the program.

I agree (bold), but to be fair, Marrone hadn't ever called plays before he was promoted to the head coach's position at Syracuse (underlined). None the less, he was pretty good at it (I've always thought that Mitch Browning was better, though), and Atkins was a VERY good OL coach. I really, really miss him. I'm OK with losing Anselmo. He could recruit, but he couldn't coach worth a @#$%. However, Atkins was the full package. Atkins, McDonald, and Schaffer would have been a KILLER recruiting combo. Unfortunately, I don't see Atkins and McDonald on the same SU coaching staff. Even if HCDM didn't take Atkins, Atkins would have wanted to be OC or bust, and McDonald would not have left Miami for anything less than an OC position.

All that said, I am pretty confidence that we will make a bowl this year, which will be huge for the program and the coaching staff. Not only will that lead to extra practices, which is very important when installing a new system, but it will give the current staff instance credibility, and credibility + charisma = good things in the world of recruiting. It will also meant that SU would have gone to 3 bowls in 4 years, which helps dig out of the GRob-induced cellar dweller perception that we currently have (despite winning the BIG EAST last year :noidea:). This may be the homer in me talking, but I think that we will be alright and that (continued) good times are ahead.

All that said, I am pretty confidence that we will make a bowl this year, which will be huge for the program and the coaching staff. Not only will that lead to extra practices, which is very important when installing a new system, but it will give the current staff instance credibility, and credibility + charisma = good things in the world of recruiting. It will also meant that SU would have gone to 3 bowls in 4 years, which helps dig out of the GRob-induced cellar dweller perception that we currently have (despite winning the BIG EAST last year :noidea:). This may be the homer in me talking, but I think that we will be alright and that (continued) good times are ahead.
Do you think SU (and the fanbase) should make a bigger deal out of the multi-tie for the conference title? In the past, we've made fun of other schools for bragging about things like that. It's somewhat deceptive and easily mocked, but with our perception lingering below where it should be, maybe it's worth talking about more.

Do you think SU (and the fanbase) should make a bigger deal out of the multi-tie for the conference title? In the past, we've made fun of other schools for bragging about things like that. It's somewhat deceptive and easily mocked, but with our perception lingering below where it should be, maybe it's worth talking about more.

Considering where we started from 4 years earlier---absolutely YES!

I'm not sure that we should make a huge deal about it, but I do think that, almost by definition, we aren't a "cellar dweller." We have more BIG EAST football championships in the last 10 years than Rutgers has in their entire 20+ year history in the conference. '05-'10 was a rough period, but I think that's behind us. As fans, we should do what we can to help perception catch-up with reality. That doesn't mean that we should pull a Rutgers and call every minor victory a glorious accomplishment, but we shouldn't ignore the fact that 2 out of our last 3 seasons have been 8 wins seasons with bowl victories.