Syracuse set to reclaim NCAA basketball attendance crown | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse set to reclaim NCAA basketball attendance crown

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1989 and rarely if ever miss games. I’ve become pretty good at estimating the attendance at the dome.
There is no way that 29,052 fanny’s past through the turnstiles on Monday night. The poor attendance was the topic of conversation prior to the opening tip within our section considering it was senior night and we were playing Virginia.
I’ve heard administration state that it’s turnstile count and not tickets sold that they use as the official number. There must have been some double and triple scanning of the tickets to get Monday’s attendance figure so high allowing us to surpass Kentucky on the year. Thankfully, I don’t think this falls in the NCAA’s “wheelhouse”, and there will be no investigation. :)

According to my calculations, UK needs to draw 51,838 to their last game to beat Syracuse. So even if SU fudged the numbers up by 20K Monday night, it wouldn’t have mattered.

Syracuse beat the cheating Wildcats for the attendance title by a large margin and it wasn’t even close.

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1989 and rarely if ever miss games. I’ve become pretty good at estimating the attendance at the dome.
There is no way that 29,052 fanny’s past through the turnstiles on Monday night. The poor attendance was the topic of conversation prior to the opening tip within our section considering it was senior night and we were playing Virginia.
I’ve heard administration state that it’s turnstile count and not tickets sold that they use as the official number. There must have been some double and triple scanning of the tickets to get Monday’s attendance figure so high allowing us to surpass Kentucky on the year. Thankfully, I don’t think this falls in the NCAA’s “wheelhouse”, and there will be no investigation. :)

This is what 27,820 looks like:
GeorgetownS.PNG

GeorgetownN.PNG

That's several thousand more people than SU sold tickets to (forget about actual tickets scanned) on Monday night. To have more than 26,000 tickets sold, some people have to sit west of midfield. But nobody was within a half-section of midfield on Monday. Note the fans on the far side of midfield on the north side, and general admission tickets sold to the left of the student overflow (along with the full student overflow). Those seats were unsold on Monday.

Attendance titles are cool, but not when they don't mean anything at all. John "Spicer" Wildhack has some explaining to do.

According to my calculations, UK needs to draw 51,838 to their last game to beat Syracuse. So even if SU fudged the numbers up by 20K Monday night, it wouldn’t have mattered.

Syracuse beat the cheating Wildcats for the attendance title by a large margin and it wasn’t even close.

so why did we fudge Monday so much? Honestly, the 29,000 is just bizarre. it was so noticeably off it was embarrassing.

Attendance titles are cool, but not when they don't mean anything at all. John "Spicer" Wildhack has some explaining to do.
so why did we fudge Monday so much? Honestly, the 29,000 is just bizarre. it was so noticeably off it was embarrassing.

I'm sure there was no intent on over stating the attendance to obtain an attendance crown. The announced attendance for Monday's game was more likely another goof by an intern were the 9 in 29,052 was suppose to be a 3.

I'm sure there was no intent on over stating the attendance to obtain an attendance crown. The announced attendance for Monday's game was more likely another goof by an intern were the 9 in 29,052 was suppose to be a 3.

If it was 23,052, I would have won the pool.

Even McDonough said something on the broadcast about how the announced crowd was 29,000 but it didn’t look like 29,000 to him. Lol.

Announced attendance is not the work of interns

That was my first instinct, after incredulous laughter - somebody transposed the 9 and the second 2. Or more likely, the 9 and the 5.

But I think they'd be sheepish and correct that. I'd love to hear an honest explanation, because they're off by so much.

For what it's worth, when I worked for the SID in college our method of tallying attendance at basketball and hockey games, as we closed up the StatCrew program on which we took careful game stats as a backup to the official scorebook, was "What do you think the attendance was? Throw three numbers together." Inaccurate as SU is, I know they've got a better method than that. (Except for Monday, of course.)

That was my first instinct, after incredulous laughter - somebody transposed the 9 and the second 2. Or more likely, the 9 and the 5.

But I think they'd be sheepish and correct that. I'd love to hear an honest explanation, because they're off by so much.

For what it's worth, when I worked for the SID in college our method of tallying attendance at basketball and hockey games, as we closed up the StatCrew program on which we took careful game stats as a backup to the official scorebook, was "What do you think the attendance was? Throw three numbers together." Inaccurate as SU is, I know they've got a better method than that. (Except for Monday, of course.)

Every single ticket that is scanned into the building feeds into a reporting system.

They know beforehand exactly how many workers will be working said event.
They know beforehand exactly how many tickets have been sold for that event.
They then know exactly how many tickets are purchased in a walk up capacity.

With all the info they have - and then they come up with 29,052 it is very obvious what happened.

They inflated the numbers.

Every single ticket that is scanned into the building feeds into a reporting system.

They know beforehand exactly how many workers will be working said event.
They know beforehand exactly how many tickets have been sold for that event.
They then know exactly how many tickets are purchased in a walk up capacity.

With all the info they have - and then they come up with 29,052 it is very obvious what happened.

They inflated the numbers.
they would never do that. This is a institution of higher learning after all.

they would never do that. This is a institution of higher learning after all.
They obviously take the "higher" part seriously.

Have any of the sub standard hacks who steal story ideas from this board asked about this?