Syracuse vs. Princeton in the first round | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse vs. Princeton in the first round

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
I don't remember the year, but Moten was a freshman. Everybody's upset special was Princeton over Syracuse. Pete Carril was going to outcoach Boeheim. Moten stepped up and it wasn't all that close. I was on an Amtrak train from NYC to Chicago and didn't see the game. I'll let others fill in the details.

I don't remember the year, but Moten was a freshman. Everybody's upset special was Princeton over Syracuse. Pete Carril was going to outcoach Boeheim. Moten stepped up and it wasn't all that close. I was on an Amtrak train from NYC to Chicago and didn't see the game. I'll let others fill in the details.
1992 tournament!

Ok….here’s a story. That was my Junior year at SU. We find out a limited number of tickets would be available to purchase at Manley. For one reason or another, I decided to be studious and go to/not leave my History class as it was slated to end well before they were available.

After class I meet up with my buddy and we drive from the fraternity house up to Manley. We get in line. Two of our friends are already there. They are from MA so the plan is that we were going to drive to the games and stay at their house in Braintree. There ends up being 25 tickets. My buddies get all session tickets. The guy I drove to Manley with end up being #27 and 28 in line. Coach Boeheim walks by us and says “Don’t worry about it. There will be plenty of scalpers there ”

We drive from Syracuse to Worcester for the morning session trying to get tickets for the evening when SU is playing Princeton. Problem is UMass under Calipari is playing in the night session also. No luck getting tickets. We drive from Worcester to Braintree for the morning and afternoon and then drive back for the evening still without tickets. Finally we get lucky and get a pair for that session only. ’Cuse easily handles the overly-hyped Princeton. Now SU movs to Round 2 and we drive back to Braintree and stay there the next day. We go back the morning of the second round in search of tickets. Because it is SU/UMass in Worcester, we end up paying a ton for the ticket. We know we are in trouble when the only ones in the building who did not know the UMass fight sone was us and the Kentucky fans.

Needlss to say…long drive back to SU after a disappointing loss. Lots of time, effort and money because I did not ditch class. Great memories though.

Go Orange!

SUOrange44

Ok….here’s a story. That was my Junior year at SU. We find out a limited number of tickets would be available to purchase at Manley. For one reason or another, I decided to be studious and go to/not leave my History class as it was slated to end well before they were available.

After class I meet up with my buddy and we drive from the fraternity house up to Manley. We get in line. Two of our friends are already there. They are from MA so the plan is that we were going to drive to the games and stay at their house in Braintree. There ends up being 25 tickets. My buddies get all session tickets. The guy I drove to Manley with end up being #27 and 28 in line. Coach Boeheim walks by us and says “Don’t worry about it. There will be plenty of scalpers there ”

We drive from Syracuse to Worcester for the morning session trying to get tickets for the evening when SU is playing Princeton. Problem is UMass under Calipari is playing in the night session also. No luck getting tickets. We drive from Worcester to Braintree for the morning and afternoon and then drive back for the evening still without tickets. Finally we get lucky and get a pair for that session only. ’Cuse easily handles the overly-hyped Princeton. Now SU movs to Round 2 and we drive back to Braintree and stay there the next day. We go back the morning of the second round in search of tickets. Because it is SU/UMass in Worcester, we end up paying a ton for the ticket. We know we are in trouble when the only ones in the building who did not know the UMass fight sone was us and the Kentucky fans.

Needlss to say…long drive back to SU after a disappointing loss. Lots of time, effort and money because I did not ditch class. Great memories though.

Go Orange!

SUOrange44
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

3/20/92: We were ahead by 8-12 points the whole game and handled the Princeton back-door cuts easily, winning 51-43.

12/17/94: A regular season vs. Princeton at the Dome. We don't handle the back door cuts as well and barely pull out a 67-65 win.

I tune into ESPN and some young anchor I've never seen since, sneers: "You'd think Jim Boeheim would look at some film every once in awhile! Remember that NCAA game a couple of years ago? The Tigers score on back door cuts over and over again! Tonight the Tigers did the same and Boeheim does nothing about it!"

In my mind I ask this clown if he ever looks at any film.

It was 1992 in first round at Worcester on a Friday night. We handled Princeton fairly easily. Then on Sunday we had to play UMASS (essentially a home game for them) in the second game of a double header. First game, between Kentucky and Iowa State, started in beautiful sunlight. When our game against UMASS ended in overtime, we left the Centrum to discover a full blown blizzard.

The drive back to CT was one of the worst in my life. You couldn't see the lane markings; you couldn't even see the side of the road. At one point we were passed by two kids driving the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile; a few miles later we saw that odd contraption on its side in a ditch.

While I was navigating this nightmare, my friend Carla Fisher slept soundly in the front seat. When she finally awoke, I asked whether she had fallen asleep because of her confidence in my driving ... or because of sheer terror at the conditions. Her response: "I'll never tell."

PS: that was also the game when Mike Hopkins suffered a seriously bloody face at the hands of some UMASS thug. The picture of his bloody face appeared in papers throughout the country.

Last edited:
It was 1992 in first round at Worcester on a Friday night. We handled Princeton fairly easily. Then on Sunday we had to play UMASS (essentially a home game for them) in the second game of a double header. First game, between Kentucky and Iowa State started in beautiful sunlight. When our game against UMASS ended in overtime, we left the arena to discover a full blown blizzard.

The drive back to CT was one of the worst in my life. You couldn't see the line markings; you couldn't even see the side of the road. At one point we were passed by two kids driving the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile; a few miles later we saw that odd contraption on its side in a ditch.

While I was navigating this nightmare, my friend Carla Fisher fell asleep in the front seat. When she finally awoke, I asked whether she had fallen asleep because of her confidence in my driving ... or because of sheer terror at the conditions. Her response: "I'll never tell."

PS: that was also the game when Mike Hopkins suffered a seriously bloody face at the hands of some UMASS thug. The picture of his bloody face appeared in papers throughout the country.

Go Orange!

SUOrange44
I’m sure that Dr. Bennett appreciated you staying for his class! Btw, he’s such a huge Cuse fan that he very well might’ve been at the game!

It was 1992 in first round at Worcester on a Friday night. We handled Princeton fairly easily. Then on Sunday we had to play UMASS (essentially a home game for them) in the second game of a double header. First game, between Kentucky and Iowa State started in beautiful sunlight. When our game against UMASS ended in overtime, we left the arena to discover a full blown blizzard.

The drive back to CT was one of the worst in my life. You couldn't see the line markings; you couldn't even see the side of the road. At one point we were passed by two kids driving the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile; a few miles later we saw that odd contraption on its side in a ditch.

While I was navigating this nightmare, my friend Carla Fisher fell asleep in the front seat. When she finally awoke, I asked whether she had fallen asleep because of her confidence in my driving ... or because of sheer terror at the conditions. Her response: "I'll never tell."

Yeah. Actually that is the Epilogue to my story above. The weather was so bad on the way back that all of us actually stopped at my parents house in Latham (just North of Albany, NY) where I am from to spend the night during the conditions. Had to leave extremely early Monday morning to get back to Syracuse for an important class on time. If memory serves I basically had to go right there because the time was so tight. It was a wild ride coming back from The Centrum.

SUOrange44

And that UMass game...ugh. After a rough stretch in Feb, we had come out of nowhere to win the BET the week before. And for UMass, that was was the first big year they had in forever, with Calipari putting them on the map and were like 30-5 or something, and that crowd was insane. I think I saw later that Ted Kennedy was at the game. Still, as underdogs it was a great game, Dave Johnson was scoring like crazy at the end. SU Down 1 in OT, the ball went out of bounds under the UMass basket with like 25 seconds in the game and 3 on the shot clock. The refs gave UMass the ball. They heaved it to their center, who hit the only 3 of his career to put them up 4, which pretty much sealed it. A few days later the NCAA put out a statement saying the out of bounds call was incorrect. Brutal loss. The bracket was stacked too, this was the region that led to the famous Laettener shot against UK the week later.

I remember that tournament for one thing and exactly one thing: Lou Roe hitting the shot of his life in front of a full house of UMass fans in Worcester.

He and T.J. Sorrentine and Germain Mopa-Njila really conspired to turn Worcester into a horrible series of memories for Cuse hoops fans.

It was 1992 in first round at Worcester on a Friday night. We handled Princeton fairly easily. Then on Sunday we had to play UMASS (essentially a home game for them) in the second game of a double header. First game, between Kentucky and Iowa State, started in beautiful sunlight. When our game against UMASS ended in overtime, we left the Centrum to discover a full blown blizzard.

The drive back to CT was one of the worst in my life. You couldn't see the lane markings; you couldn't even see the side of the road. At one point we were passed by two kids driving the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile; a few miles later we saw that odd contraption on its side in a ditch.

While I was navigating this nightmare, my friend Carla Fisher slept soundly in the front seat. When she finally awoke, I asked whether she had fallen asleep because of her confidence in my driving ... or because of sheer terror at the conditions. Her response: "I'll never tell."

Falling asleep out of sheer terror?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom