Syracuse Was The Big East | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Was The Big East

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
bigeastfinal.gif

Why the ACC killed the OBE.

They were OBE by convenience...you know when you take in someone at the Fraternity not because he fits socially but because his Daddy is rich, has a hot sister or he carries a 3.95 GPA.
Touché.

I was at the last BE Tourney and the Pitt, Louisville fans were very glum and nostalgic. I talked to quite a few. We were all saying, “Well, see you in the ACC.” Very sad.

You don’t even want to know how much Gary and I paid to go to the SU/Gtown semifinal. Worth it!

They were OBE by convenience...you know when you take in someone at the Fraternity not because he fits socially but because his Daddy is rich, has a hot sister or he carries a 3.95 GPA.
I remember when the ACC brought LV in. You were doubtful ... (so was I), not about their revenue but about integrity and academics.

Cuse is a major TV draw. UConn and Louisville also draw well on TV. The current Big East schools do not have close to the same appeal.
SU and UConn have strong appeal in the largest TV market (NYC).
Seton Hall and (pardon the absurdity) Rutgers would also draw viewers if they made an OBE Final.
NYC TV market is about 6% of the entire national market.

SU and UConn have strong appeal in the largest TV market (NYC).
Seton Hall and (pardon the absurdity) Rutgers would also draw viewers if they made an OBE Final.
NYC TV market is about 6% of the entire national market.
The Johnnies too if they ever got their isht together.

View attachment 113818

Why the ACC killed the OBE.

ACC Championship Games during the same time frame:

2008 - North Carolina/Clemson 2.33
2009 - Duke/Florida State 1.80
2010 - Duke/Georgia Tech 1.30
2011 - Duke/North Carolina 2.08
2012 - Florida State/North Carolina 2.16
2013 - Miami/North Carolina 2.22
2014 - Virginia/Duke 3.17
2015 - Notre Dame/North Carolina 3.53
2016 - North Carolina/Virginia 2.81
2017 - Duke/Notre Dame 3.60

Prior to the realignment, the numbers were not all that great for the ACC. But since then and with the move to Saturday night the last couple of years, the numbers are trending toward the best of OBE. And those are without us and Louisville even being a factor yet.

8 PM on ESPN vs. 5:30 PM on FS1 has something to do with that too.

i re watched the big east special last night on 30 on 30. john thompson was worse than i thought. based his coaching on dirty play, anger and hatred. he even stated that much of what went on was theatrics. the guy was truly a blight on the game of basketball. he and ewing said that it was "physical play" .
everyone else played physical, he based his philosophy on hatred. i am surprised jb and thompson reconciled. pearl had great comments on georgetown----called it like it was.

This is an informative thread, but the ACC didn't raid the OBE out of envy. Football drove the decision (as always), and the need to get to 14 to 16 teams and have a football conference playoff was their only motivation.

The ACC avoided becoming what the Big 12 is today. Expanding cemented the ACC's status as a P5.

I think most old time ACC basketball fans rue the expansion, and liked the conference the way it was. (Not unlike this board's nostalgia for the OBE.)

This is an informative thread, but the ACC didn't raid the OBE out of envy. Football drove the decision (as always), and the need to get to 14 to 16 teams and have a football conference playoff was their only motivation.

The ACC avoided becoming what the Big 12 is today. Expanding cemented the ACC's status as a P5.

I think most old time ACC basketball fans rue the expansion, and liked the conference the way it was. (Not unlike this board's nostalgia for the OBE.)
Ofcourse Football and TV money was the driver but the ACC couldn't stand the Big East passed them in Basketball in overall strength and in viewership for conference tournaments.

i re watched the big east special last night on 30 on 30. john thompson was worse than i thought. based his coaching on dirty play, anger and hatred. he even stated that much of what went on was theatrics. the guy was truly a blight on the game of basketball. he and ewing said that it was "physical play" .
everyone else played physical, he based his philosophy on hatred. i am surprised jb and thompson reconciled. pearl had great comments on georgetown----called it like it was.

And no one in the sports press dared call Big John on ANYTHING lest they be called "Racist".

I used to laugh out loud when they talked about the "physical nature of the Big East" and the fighting as if there wasn't one team that seemed to be involved in every fight.

There were fights in games like:

Georgetown vs. Syracuse (JB, "Michael graham punched my player ..."
Georgetown vs. St. John's
Georgetown vs. Villanova
Georgetown vs. Seton Hall
Georgetown vs. Providence
etc, etc.

Let's see if anyone can figure out just what the common thread was there.

Nobody in the Press ever could or was afraid to say.

Indeed it was! I was heading into my senior year in high school when this came on the air that summer beforehand. I had a friend whose mom work nights, so me and a couple of other buds would hang out in his basement and watch for hours drinking Miller Ponies and Old Vienna splits. Ah, such simple and memorable times back then...we're all young once upon a time... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom