Syracusefan.com Golf Tournament Update II (Payment Deadline Extended) | Syracusefan.com

Syracusefan.com Golf Tournament Update II (Payment Deadline Extended)

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am happy to announce the first full fledged Syracusefan.com golf tournament.

Here are the details:

Date: Friday afternoon August 31st
Venue: The Links at Erie Village
Format: Captain and Crew
Cost: $70, which includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch at the turn and dinner afterwards

(August 31st is the Friday of Labor Day Weekend, the day before the Northwestern game, which is the board tailgate this year and the opener for the football season).

The purpose for the tournament is two fold:

1) to raise money for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, a charity near and dear to all of our hearts and

2) to provide an opportunity for people who use the board to meet face to face, get to know each other a little better, and have a chance to talk SU sports (it is the day before the season opener for football).

You can organize a foursome or groups of foursomes if you want, or sign up as a single and get paired with others from the board (we will be happy to work with you and/or friends to accomodate your wishes).

Everyone is welcome to attend, including lurkers and friends of people who are on the board. Don't worry if you aren't a good golfer. I can guarantee you that many of the people that will play are not good either. To make things easier, we will play a Captain and Crew format, where your team takes the best shot of the 4 players on your team shot by shot, so it won't be a big deal if you struggle.

The Links at Erie Village is a relatively new course a little east of Syracuse city limits, located on Burdick St, not far from East Syracuse and Fayetteville. It is a relatively short course with a lot of water...I believe water comes into play on 14 of the 18 holes. It is one of the nicer public courses in central New York, and is only a few minutes from downtown, Carrier Circle and the university. History buffs might be interested that it borders the original Erie Canal, which survives to this day as a walking/running park. Links at Erie Village has a top notch dining facility that is part of the complex and the food served there has always been very good.

Links at Erie Village Location

Lunch at the turn will be a hamburger or a hot dog and a drink. Dinner will be the traditional steak dinner, but people can substitute chicken or fish if desired. If you want chicken or fish, be sure to drop me a line indicating this.

We will have an optional skins game for those that want to participate. We will have a 50-50 raffle. We will have a putting contest. We will have some neat SU related items up for bid with a silent auction. In addition, we hope to have someone from the SU athletics family be part of the event and perhaps say a few words before dinner.

We are accepting payment using Paypal only (if this is truly impossible for you, EZ Inbox me to discuss other methods). To make a payment, go to the Paypal site linked, click on Personal, log in (if you haven't logged in yet, you will need to sign up for an account, which only takes a minute to do) select the Send Money option, address it to sutomcat @ hotmail.com (I added blanks before and after the @ sign to discourage email harvesters), select Personal (not Purchase) and Payment owed, and be sure to indicate in the email to me that the payment is for the Syracusefan.com golf tournament and who you are paying for. If you want a fish or chicken dinner, please idicate that here as well.

We are actively looking for sponsors for the event...if you or your company are interested in this, please EZ Inbox me and we can discuss options.

If you have any questions, feel free to EZ Inbox me. Again, all proceeds from the event will go to the Jim and Juli Foundation. It is a great cause, and we would love to have as many people as possible participate to make the event a good fund raiser for this charity.

The deadline for signing up for the tournament has been extended to August 17th. If you haven't gone to a board event before, this would be a great way to break the ice and get to meet some of the many interesting characters here. Don't be shy, it is great to talk with people that share the same passions you do about SU sports.

Lastly, if you can't golf at all but would like to come to the dinner only, EZ Inbox me. I am sure we can accomodate you (not sure what the price would be but it will be significantly less than for lunch, dinner and golf).

Here are the details:

Cost: $70, which includes 18 holes of golf with a cart, lunch at the turn and dinner afterwards

(August 31st is the Friday of Labor Day Weekend, the day before the Northwestern game, which is the board tailgate this year and the opener for the football season).

1) to raise money for the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, a charity near and dear to all of our hearts and

2) to provide an opportunity for people who use the board to meet face to face, get to know each other a little better, and have a chance to talk SU sports (it is the day before the season opener for football).

You can organize a foursome or groups of foursomes if you want, or sign up as a single and get paired with others from the board (we will be happy to work with you and/or friends to accomodate your wishes).

Everyone is welcome to attend, including lurkers and friends of people who are on the board. Don't worry if you aren't a good golfer. I can guarantee you that many of the people that will play are not good either. To make things easier, we will play a Captain and Crew format, where your team takes the best shot of the 4 players on your team shot by shot, so it won't be a big deal if you struggle.

The Links at Erie Village is a relatively new course a little east of Syracuse city limits, located on Burdick St, not far from East Syracuse and Fayetteville. It is a relatively short course with a lot of water...I believe water comes into play on 14 of the 18 holes. It is one of the nicer public courses in central New York, and is only a few minutes from downtown, Carrier Circle and the university. History buffs might be interested that it borders the original Erie Canal, which survives to this day as a walking/running park. Links at Erie Village has a top notch dining facility that is part of the complex and the food served there has always been very good.

Lunch at the turn will be a hamburger or a hot dog and a drink. Dinner will be the traditional steak dinner, but people can substitute chicken or fish if desired. If you want chicken or fish, be sure to drop me a line indicating this.

We will have an optional skins game for those that want to participate. We will have a 50-50 raffle. We will have a putting contest. We will have some neat SU related items up for bid with a silent auction. In addition, we hope to have someone from the SU athletics family be part of the event and perhaps say a few words before dinner.

We are accepting payment using Paypal only (if this is truly impossible for you, EZ Inbox me to discuss other methods). To make a payment, go to the Paypal site linked, click on Personal, log in (if you haven't logged in yet, you will need to sign up for an account, which only takes a minute to do) select the Send Money option, address it to sutomcat @ hotmail.com (I added blanks before and after the @ sign to discourage email harvesters), select Personal (not Purchase) and Payment owed, and be sure to indicate in the email to me that the payment is for the Syracusefan.com golf tournament and who you are paying for. If you want a fish or chicken dinner, please idicate that here as well.

We are actively looking for sponsors for the event...if you or your company are interested in this, please EZ Inbox me and we can discuss options.

If you have any questions, feel free to EZ Inbox me. Again, all proceeds from the event will go to the Jim and Juli Foundation. It is a great cause, and we would love to have as many people as possible participate to make the event a good fund raiser for this charity.

The deadline for signing up for the tournament is August 1st. If you haven't gone to a board event before, this would be a great way to break the ice and get to meet some of the many interesting characters here. Don't be shy, it is great to talk with people that share the same passions you do about SU sports.

Lastly, if you can't golf at all but would like to come to the dinner only, EZ Inbox me. I am sure we can accomodate you (not sure what the price would be but it will be significantly less than for lunch, dinner and golf).

If someone wants to get in some early practice at the Links, I am thinking of getting in 9 holes pre-leagues tonight around 2pm to take advantage of this beautiful CNY weather day. Let me know by EZ inboz if you'd like to meet up out there.

How is the response to this so far? I still want to participate, but not sure if I will be putting together a team, or just jumping in.

Here are the details:

The deadline for signing up for the tournament is August 1st. If you haven't gone to a board event before, this would be a great way to break the ice and get to meet some of the many interesting characters here. Don't be shy, it is great to talk with people that share the same passions you do about SU sports.

Put it a solo division and you got me. You know i have no friends !

Put it a solo division and you got me. You know i have no friends !
Was planning on putting you with Floyd Little, Jim Brown and Larry Csonka. Would that work?

Was planning on putting you with Floyd Little, Jim Brown and Larry Csonka. Would that work?
floyd would be ok... Larry usually stops in the middle of each round to do some duck hunting and Jim's been known to kill his partners after hitting a bad shot

I played poker with Floyd at TS. ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

floyd would be ok... Larry usually stops in the middle of each round to do some duck hunting and Jim's been known to kill his partners after hitting a bad shot
There are pros and cons with every teammate in captain and crew. Let's keep the focus on the positives.

The good news is that there are no balconies on the course. Just be careful after the round...there is one with a deck at the restaurant where we will be eating.

I thought we couldnt schedule events on fridays because it conflicts with the high school football schedules?

Sounds like a

Here are the details:

great opportunity to get drunk in anticipation of the next day's season starter. I hope some are able to make par andnot lose any clubs to that missed 6' putt anger displayed by many golfers I've met andworked with. Its incredible that an otherwise intelligent and calm man would take a valuable and expensive stick and attempt to knock down grown trees off the fairway and then throw the remnants into a pond or adjacent lake.:crazy:

Here are the details:

Time is running out people. I ask that if you want to play, you respond in this thread with the number you have committed to play.

Example:

sutomcat (2)

This will help facilitate pairing people together into foursomes and give me a better idea how many people are going to play.

Can I jus
Time is running out people. I ask that if you want to play, you respond in this thread with the number you have committed to play.

Example:

sutomcat (2)

This will help facilitate pairing people together into foursomes and give me a better idea how many people are going to play.
t mail in my score card?Surprising no one ,I will come in under par!:rolling:

I'd give my left (and possibly right) nut(s) to play in this, but when you announced the date, it unfortunately conflicted with my vacation at the end of August. I don't know what kind of interest you've had so far, but I hope it's been great and that I can partake next year. I imagine I'd bring my own foursome, but if not I would love to play with some of the members here.

Good luck to everyone involved, and have fun! Erie Village is probably my favorite course to play in Syracuse aside from some of the more private courses. And thanks to tomcat for putting the effort into organizing the event.

Put me in for two - will come up from florida for game and golf. phsyra

TDTOrange + CuseClappy are in (2). We will need help filling out the foursome if anyone is interested in carrying us out of the lower half of the standings.

TDTOrange + CuseClappy are in (2). We will need help filling out the foursome if anyone is interested in carrying us out of the lower half of the standings.
Thanks TDT.

One request/suggestion for people as they pay through Paypal...in the note Paypal provides, besides explaining who you are paying for, please let me know what type of dinner the people you are paying for will want (steak, chicken or fish).

Here are the details:

Golf is not a sport. =)

I'll be driving up from northern Virginia for the golf outing, tailgate, and game. If anyone has an interest in carpooling from NOVA or places between, I will be coming from near the junction of Interstates 81 and 66 about an hour west of DC. My plan is to drive up the day of the tournament and return after the game but am flexible. I make a good designated driver if needed. Send me a message if interested.

Here are the details:

The deadline for signing up for the tournament has been extended to August 17th. If you haven't gone to a board event before, this would be a great way to break the ice and get to meet some of the many interesting characters here. Don't be shy, it is great to talk with people that share the same passions you do about SU sports.

Latest update: the golf course needs to know how many people are going to play in the tournament for planning purposes, so it is time to fish or cut bait. If you have already sent me payment for your group, thank you. If you plan to play and have not sent payment yet, please do so by the end of the week (Friday August 17th).

If you don't have four people to play with, don't worry about it. You will be paired up with other Syracuse fanatics to make a foursome and have a good time. If you aren't a very good golfer, don't worry about it. The goal of this event is to have fun and talk about SU sports (football and basketball). We have a couple of surprises in store for those that attend that will make it well worth your while to come.

If you haven't attended a board function before, you really should go to one. If not this event, stop by the tailgate the day after in the Fine Lot, or some other tailgate, at the USC game, at the Fine Lot later in the season or at one of the away game tailgates. I am confident you will not regret your decision.

As mentioned before, if you decide to come to the tournament, when you send payment to me via Paypal (to sutomcat @ hotmail.com, do not include the spaces), please indicate the dinner choice for everyone you are paying for. The choices are steak, chicken and fish.

Lastly, if you want to be a sponsor for the tournament, send me a payment via Paypal and I will hook you up. Again, all the proceeds go to the Jim and Juli Boeheim Foundation, a most worthy cause.

War Damn Otto!

Thanks Tom! The course is prepared and ready for us. Depending on final numbers, it will be the difference between use getting a block of tee times or closing the whole course for us. Ideally we would have 72 golfers (18 foursomes or one per hole). We can always accommodate more, but 72 is the target number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom