Syracuse's 2011-12 team made it to NCAA's Elite Eight, but what if ... | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse's 2011-12 team made it to NCAA's Elite Eight, but what if ...

Disagree with Waters that the Georgetown game was the most memorable. It was definetly the Wisconsin Sweet 16 game in my opinion. That was a tremendous game. Elite 8 on the line. All outweigh a regular season game, even if it was against Georegtown.

Disagree with Waters that the Georgetown game was the most memorable. It was definetly the Wisconsin Sweet 16 game in my opinion. That was a tremendous game. Elite 8 on the line. All outweigh a regular season game, even if it was against Georegtown.

I just remember they kept hitting all those threes and I kept waiting for them to miss

I hate this:

Also, there is the unknown factor involving the 2012 team. What if Fab Melo had not been declared ineligible just prior to the first round of the NCAA tournament? The Orange still beat UNC Asheville, Kansas State and Wisconsin without the Big East's Defensive Player of the Year. Could Syracuse have beaten Ohio State in the Elite Eight if Melo had been eligible?

When you take a flyer on a kid who has troubles, you have to assume all the risk as part of the strategy.

We could flip this statement around and say, "The Orange were lucky to have Fab Melo for as many games as they did".

It's not like Arinze's injury. Fab was a crap shoot. We got the good with the bad with him. That should have been expected.

I hate this:

Also, there is the unknown factor involving the 2012 team. What if Fab Melo had not been declared ineligible just prior to the first round of the NCAA tournament? The Orange still beat UNC Asheville, Kansas State and Wisconsin without the Big East's Defensive Player of the Year. Could Syracuse have beaten Ohio State in the Elite Eight if Melo had been eligible?

When you take a flyer on a kid who has troubles, you have to assume all the risk as part of the strategy.

We could flip this statement around and say, "The Orange were lucky to have Fab Melo for as many games as they did".

It's not like Arinze's injury. Fab was a crap shoot. We got the good with the bad with him. That should have been expected.

Exactly.

It's not a what-if game, Waters. You're just supposed to assess the quality of the team that we ran out there.

Some other fun games that year…

@ NC State: got in a hole early, then went on a mind-boggling run to take a big lead, blew the lead, and then held them off at the end.
@ St. John's: The most Syracuse fans that have ever been inside MSG at one time, ever.
Beating UConn 3 times in one season.
@ Louisville: a very close back-and-forth game that we won by just a point or two.