Syracuse's Memorable Games at MSG | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse's Memorable Games at MSG

Eric15

Living Legend
This is a fun read on syracuse.com. This vintage picture from 1964 is a thing of beauty. Mike Waters had an uncharacteristic brain fart listing our 1981 NIT championship here which clearly took place at the Dome.

Syracuse basketball's memorable games at Madison Square Garden

ea3_ap228220239996.jpeg

This is a fun read on syracuse.com. This vintage picture from 1964 is a thing of beauty. Mike Waters had an uncharacteristic brain fart listing our 1981 NIT championship here which clearly took place at the Dome.

ea3_ap228220239996.jpeg
I believe Waters is correct.
We won the '81 BET in the Dome, but we beat Purdue in the '81 NIT Semi and lost to Tulsa in the NIT championship game at MSG

The picture that shows Tony Bruin and Danny Schayes in the Dome against Old Dominion is simply a stock photo

I believe Waters was correct.
We won the '81 BET in the Dome, but we beat Purdue in the '81 NIT Semi and lost to Tulsa in the NIT championship game.

My bad, you’re right. It was the picture in the Dome he showed that confused me.

ea3_ap228220239996.jpeg
No gas from Mike here.

SU did win the Big East tournament in 1981 at the Carrier Dome, but the Big East was a new league and would not be awarded an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament until 1982 (this was before the tournament expanded to 64 teams).

SU was not selected for an at large bid to the NCAA tournament, and fought through a number of injuries to make it to the finals of the NIT tournament before Nolan Richardson and Tulsa took us out.

In the Garden.

No gas from Mike here.

SU did win the Big East tournament in 1981 at the Carrier Dome, but the Big East was a new league and would not be awarded an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament until 1982 (this was before the tournament expanded to 64 teams).

SU was not selected for an at large bid to the NCAA tournament, and fought through a number of injuries to make it to the finals of the NIT tournament before Nolan Richardson and Tulsa took us out.

In the Garden.
I remember the semi-final game very well. Erich Santifer with a put back at the end of regulation to send us to OT vs. Purdue. Ensuing bedlam at Sutters