System Program vs. Talent Machine | Syracusefan.com

System Program vs. Talent Machine

mantonio

Starter
I know I've spoken before on this issue, but it bears repeating.

Jim Boeheim made a BRILLIANT decision to build this Syracuse program on a system that obviously works. Just look at his winning percentage, & it is too obvious.

The zone defense & JB's adherence to recruiting for this paradigm will go down in history as one of the top strategies ever devised.

For those of you who bemoan 'Cuse's disappointing post season performances, I have a few retorts for you:

First, it cuts both ways. How many of you truly believe our '96 squad was talented enough to go toe to toe with, perhaps, the most talented team in NCAA history in the Finals?

Second, Many of those poor post season poopouts came with mitigating circumstances. See - 2010, 2012 for example.

& last but certainly not least...

It's not just about winning in the post season, it's about winning on the grand scale. Let's face it, if the NCAA went to a championship series with a best of 3 scenario, Syracuse would have many more National Championship banners hanging in the Dome.

Syracuse is one of the winningest programs in history, & that is due to JB's system approach.

I know I've spoken before on this issue, but it bears repeating.

Jim Boeheim made a BRILLIANT decision to build this Syracuse program on a system that obviously works. Just look at his winning percentage, & it is too obvious.

The zone defense & JB's adherence to recruiting for this paradigm will go down in history as one of the top strategies ever devised.

For those of you who bemoan 'Cuse's disappointing post season performances, I have a few retorts for you:

First, it cuts both ways. How many of you truly believe our '96 squad was talented enough to go toe to toe with, perhaps, the most talented team in NCAA history in the Finals?

Second, Many of those poor post season poopouts came with mitigating circumstances. See - 2010, 2012 for example.

& last but certainly not least...

It's not just about winning in the post season, it's about winning on the grand scale. Let's face it, if the NCAA went to a championship series with a best of 3 scenario, Syracuse would have many more National Championship banners hanging in the Dome.

Syracuse is one of the winningest programs in history, & that is due to JB's system approach.
Welcome back, you've been missed.

Thanks, Flacusian.

I am just soakin' up the rays on the Space Coast of EF EL AYYYY...
Then you aren't far from where I am here in sunny Ef El Ayeee!~

We're perched upon the precipice of a presumably sensational season and who better to reemerge as the prince and poster person for positivity than Mantonio...Part Man and part... Tonio!

Your remanifestation on the board couldn't come at a better time so we can fend off the negative nonsense of all those nattering nabobs of negativity.

LGO!!! There is a game to be won today!

As some may remember, I've been wishing for Mantonio's return for a long time. Maybe my prayers helped somewhat? Either way, really glad to see you back bro! Beadle had a great post on group energy the other night, and I think you really help add to that here. When did you leave LV?
#MantonioFTW

Last edited:
JB has reinvented his "system" multiple times. He was known for different things in the last golden era [late 80s] than he is today.

That's what genius about his coaching: he's won an big time across a lengthy timeframe utilizing different styles. I might not agree with all of his X's and O's coaching decisions, but the guy is an innovator.

mantonio said:
KEWL !!! A new nickname to add to my collection of callsigns: Prince Positive OR The Prince of Positive

The prince of lightness?

Mantonio is like da bullz da bearz guys.

His prediction for the cal game is Syracuse 107 cal 26. Daaaaa cuse!

JB has reinvented his "system" multiple times. He was known for different things in the last golden era [late 80s] than he is today.

That's what genius about his coaching: he's won an big time across a lengthy timeframe utilizing different styles. I might not agree with all of his X's and O's coaching decisions, but the guy is an innovator.
Yeah, and I think it's safe to say the near exclusive use of the zone came more out of necessity than forward thinking. It started with the '96 team that was small and not very deep, and that zone looked nothing like the zone we know today. I think it's also true that recruiting specifically for the zone has been an even more recent trend.

Yeah, and I think it's safe to say the near exclusive use of the zone came more out of necessity than forward thinking. It started with the '96 team that was small and not very deep, and that zone looked nothing like the zone we know today. I think it's also true that recruiting specifically for the zone has been an even more recent trend.

Necessity is the mother and winning is a necessity.

Speaking of talent machines, North Carolina the one of the most historical successful talent machines has one three star recruit signed for next year. I know they probably have a good shot at getting Danny Green's brother in 2016, but is their recruiting really hurting that bad due to the investigation where they have no top talent signed for next year and virtually little interest across the landscape? What's everyones take on this?

Speaking of talent machines, North Carolina the one of the most historical successful talent machines has one three star recruit signed for next year. I know they probably have a good shot at getting Danny Green's brother in 2016, but is their recruiting really hurting that bad due to the investigation where they have no top talent signed for next year and virtually little interest across the landscape? What's everyones take on this?

Maybe some hesitation but they are in play for a lot of big time guys and didn't they just bring in a 4 or 5 man class this season.

Maybe some hesitation but they are in play for a lot of big time guys and didn't they just bring in a 4 or 5 man class this season.

They brought in three this year. I'd have to do more research to see whos interested in them next year. I looked at the top guys who haven't committed and most don't list UNC.

They brought in three this year. I'd have to do more research to see whos interested in them next year. I looked at the top guys who haven't committed and most don't list UNC.

That's pretty interesting. Francis would have a lot more insight I'm sure. I just can't see them taking a big hit with this until they get well into the investigation, but who knows.

Mantonio is back, and even Jesus may still be lurking here. This board has larger than life members and that's a large part of what sets it a part from the rest. Nobody is taking our title belt!

JESUS IS HERE, lurking in my HEART !!!!

Mantonio is back, and even Jesus may still be lurking here. This board has larger than life members and that's a large part of what sets it a part from the rest. Nobody is taking our title belt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom