Taking off your Orange glasses | Syracusefan.com

Taking off your Orange glasses

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
what would you pay Dion next year if you were in charge of an NBA team? Also what role would you want him in?

He's going to get a nice deal and should, but he is one of the more perplexing players in the league IMHO.

Having no idea what he's currently making, and being too lazy to look it up, I'd say like $6-$8 million per year. And he'd be in the same role he's in now; a scoring/playmaking punch off the bench who could spark big rallies or extend leads when he's 'on'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to see what the cap is first, but Dion needs to lose some weight and work on his jumper IMO if he wants to be a big part of a great team. If I am OKC I let him walk and find a better shooter to replace him.

Lockdown defenders are becoming hard to find in the modern NBA. Given his defensive performance against GSW, his services will be in high demand.

I'm in the 3 year...$14m-$16m range

Need to see what the cap is first, but Dion needs to lose some weight and work on his jumper IMO if he wants to be a big part of a great team. If I am OKC I let him walk and find a better shooter to replace him.

Cap is supposed to be right around $90 million.

I agree.
He's not a great fit for what they mostly use him for - spacing in the corner while Westbrook and/or KD play hero ball.

When they let him run the 2nd unit, with the ball in his hands, he's much more effective.

He's gonna get at least $6-8m a year for probably 3-4 years on this next contract, just due to skyrocketing cap space.
#Humble&Hungry.

Yep. As a Syracuse fan, I want him to do well. But watching him play, he was effective as a drive and dish guy mainly. He's a fair to poor shooter, and is not that good finishing at the rim. He played inspired defense mostly, but definitely still has a tendency to be lazy, and this is in the conference finals. In season, his D is average. He also is constantly whining and demanding the ball. He made 5 million this year. Bet he gets 5-6 million a year for 3-4 years. Don't think he winds up back on OKC, unless they want him to be a sub for Westbrook, but that role is very limited. The two of them don't help each other much. He plays fairly well with Durant, however.

The best way to get better in the NBA is through signing young players on the up tick. Dion is a player that is showing improvement at a rapid pace. OKC dropping there rotation to 6 1/2 man Kantor saw limited action and Dion was one of the 6 and on the court down the stretch, but at 24 yrs old and still developing Dion will get a max deal with the hope that he will continue to develop. That is how it works, most fans want their team to sign a big name player, but usually those guys best years are behind them. Scouts are paid to find the star before he becomes a star. There are no guards available in free agency with Dion's upside, more accomplished sure but also years older with more where and tear on the body.

Dion consistently guarded 1-4 in OCK's switching defense and did a good job on all 4 position. I believe he may have had the highest +/- on the team in the WCF. (haven't check yet though)He came into the league know as a scorer so he will probably improve as a shooter if he is given more shot attempts he must learn how to finish with his left though. He is not long enough to finish over bigs without developing a left.

OKC will probably extend him the qualifying offer of $6.7 million for next year. Unsure whether he would accept or not.

7-10 and a 2 guard/guard next to an un-selfish, but better, counterpart guard.

Waiters and Westbrook weren't meant to be.

The best way to get better in the NBA is through signing young players on the up tick. Dion is a player that is showing improvement at a rapid pace. OKC dropping there rotation to 6 1/2 man Kantor saw limited action and Dion was one of the 6 and on the court down the stretch, but at 24 yrs old and still developing Dion will get a max deal with the hope that he will continue to develop. That is how it works, most fans want their team to sign a big name player, but usually those guys best years are behind them. Scouts are paid to find the star before he becomes a star. There are no guards available in free agency with Dion's upside, more accomplished sure but also years older with more where and tear on the body.

Dion consistently guarded 1-4 in OCK's switching defense and did a good job on all 4 position. I believe he may have had the highest +/- on the team in the WCF. (haven't check yet though)He came into the league know as a scorer so he will probably improve as a shooter if he is given more shot attempts he must learn how to finish with his left though. He is not long enough to finish over bigs without developing a left.

Loved what Dion did for the Cuse, but where is this improvement you speak of? He averaged the least amount of points and shot the second worst percentage of his career this year. You should get better as a shooter with age, not worse.

I was disappointed on his effort on offense. He sure doesn't move at all without the ball. He seems disengaged standing still there on the wing. Is it scheme, their lack of trust or his own reaction to an almost invisible role on offense? Regardless it sure isn't a good look. Would he be less active on defense if his role on offense was increased? It seems his role is to play defense, give the ball immediately to either KD or Westbrook if he gets a rebound, tipped pass etc. He doesn't seem to have enough lift, explosiveness when he gets to the rim anymore resulting in getting stuffed. Losing some weight might help his agility around the basket but the ability to even pull up and hit a short jumper occasionally would make his move to the hoop more effective. I don't see his current role on OKC as being irreplaceable.

Loved what Dion did for the Cuse, but where is this improvement you speak of? He averaged the least amount of points and shot the second worst percentage of his career this year. You should get better as a shooter with age, not worse.

He had a good run for a few games and people are projecting. And hey, dudes have gotten paid for less.

Do you think defense matters? Shooting is about rhythm and everyone misses shots but only a couple players on a team are allowed to shoot their way out of it.

Hard to get in a rhythm with Westbrook's selfish antics. Not saying, at all, that Dion deserves touches over Westbrook but I don't think Russel's style of play really benefits any guards around him.

I was disappointed on his effort on offense. He sure doesn't move at all without the ball. He seems disengaged standing still there on the wing. Is it scheme, their lack of trust or his own reaction to an almost invisible role on offense? Regardless it sure isn't a good look. Would he be less active on defense if his role on offense was increased? It seems his role is to play defense, give the ball immediately to either KD or Westbrook if he gets a rebound, tipped pass etc. He doesn't seem to have enough lift, explosiveness when he gets to the rim anymore resulting in getting stuffed. Losing some weight might help his agility around the basket but the ability to even pull up and hit a short jumper occasionally would make his move to the hoop more effective. I don't see his current role on OKC as being irreplaceable.

The thing is, that's actually the role of everyone on OKC not named Durant or Westbrook. Spot up in the corners and be ready to shoot or attack closeouts. It's not the worst offensive strategy, but it doesn't put optimal stress on a defense.

What I would pay Dion would depend a LOT on what sort of team I had. If I was a team who needed a star or a competent wing player in the worst sort of way, and had a coach I was confident would hold him responsible, I would absolutely roll the dice for 12-15 mill a year for 2-3 years to see what he could become. He's still really young (6 months older than Gbinije) and could become a really good player in the right role/system. In other words, if I was the Dallas Mavericks, I might offer him a lot even though I had Matthews. And if I was the 76ers, I'd give him a lot too.

Adding to the mix - would you rather have MCW or Dion? I think I'd take MCW.

I love MCW but he is TO machine right now and is coming off of an injury

Do you think defense matters? Shooting is about rhythm and everyone misses shots but only a couple players on a team are allowed to shoot their way out of it.

He played D in the playoffs, but it's not like he played that way all year. Then again GM's have screwed up before and paid guys off strong playoff runs...

It's a fact he has improved. The NBA has better trainers, better facilities, and better diets.

He played D in the playoffs, but it's not like he played that way all year. Then again GM's have screwed up before and paid guys off strong playoff runs...

Simply not true. If he wasn't playing defense all year he wouldn't have been in rotation in the playoffs

Dion is built like a football player, but he hasn't lost any explosiveness what you are noticing is the difference between college NBA athletes at the rim.

Westbrook was 2nd in the NBA in assists in the regular season and 1st in the playoffs. Is he really a selfish player?
Watching him in the playoffs when it mattered, yes.

Dion is built like a football player

I always felt like Dion carries like 10-15 lbs too much on his body. I wonder if shedding a few pounds could make him even a more dynamic athlete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom