Tax Day Tomorrow and No Commits Yet | Syracusefan.com

Tax Day Tomorrow and No Commits Yet

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
I was just visiting another site for the first time this year to check on how recruiting is going across the ACC. According to this site all ACC schools have between two and ten commits as of mid-April. All, that is, except for Pitt and Syracuse. Now, I don't necessarily worry about this, and I don't follow recruiting as much as most of you folks do. But it seems we are a little later than usual picking up our first commit of the new recruiting year. Is my recollection faulty or is this the case? Also wondering when the recruiting gurus on this site think we'll get our first verbals?

I was just visiting another site for the first time this year to check on how recruiting is going across the ACC. According to this site all ACC schools have between two and ten commits as of mid-April. All, that is, except for Pitt and Syracuse. Now, I don't necessarily worry about this, and I don't follow recruiting as much as most of you folks do. But it seems we are a little later than usual picking up our first commit of the new recruiting year. Is my recollection faulty or is this the case? Also wondering when the recruiting gurus on this site think we'll get our first verbals?

We had 2 by this time last year. imo, regardless of offers out there, we're being highly selective right now. I believe if everything held it would be a small class (I count 12 scholie seniors) so we have to be calculated.

We had 2 by this time last year. imo, regardless of offers out there, we're being highly selective right now. I believe if everything held it would be a small class (I count 12 scholie seniors) so we have to be calculated.
15/16 depending on Cordy's potential 6th year.

15/16 depending on Cordy's potential 6th year.

If he returns he reduces the number. Though we may be a couple under the 85 cap. Right now it looks like a smallish class which I'd define 15 or less.

8 Antwan Cordy WR 5-8 183 R-Sr. Homestead, Fla. / South Dade
17 Jamal Custis WR 6-5 228 R-Sr. Philadelphia, Pa. / Neumann-Goretti
59 Aaron Roberts OL 6-4 311 R-Sr. Chicago, Ill. / De La Salle Institute
95 Chris Slayton DL 6-4 320 R-Sr. University Park, Ill. / Crete Monee
2 Eric Dungey QB 6-4 228 Sr. Lake Oswego, Ore. / Lakeridge
4 Dontae Strickland RB 5-11 207 Sr. Dayton, N.J. / South Brunswick
6 Ravian Pierce TE 6-3 244 Sr. Plantation, Fla. / Plantation
25 Kielan Whitner LB 6-0 216 Sr. Lawrenceville, Ga. / Mountain View
26 Tyrone Perkins DB 6-0 205 Sr. Glen Head, N.Y. / Friends Academy
41 Ryan Guthrie LB 6-2 222 Sr. Cumming, Ga. / West Forsyth
47 Matt Keller LS 5-11 225 Sr. Willow Street, Pa. / Penn Manor
60 Cody Conway OL 6-6 300 Sr. Plainfield, Ill. / Plainfield North

Scholies/Walkons ?
71 Keaton Darney OL 6-3 284 R-Sr. Los Angeles, Calif. / Loyola
31 Kyle Kleinberg TE 6-0 232 Sr. Armonk, N.Y. / Don Bosco Prep (N.J.)

Walkon
85 Ben Brickman WR 5-8 172 Sr. Albany, N.Y. / Shaker

If he returns he reduces the number. Though we may be a couple under the 85 cap. Right now it looks like a smallish class which I'd define 15 or less.

8 Antwan Cordy WR 5-8 183 R-Sr. Homestead, Fla. / South Dade
17 Jamal Custis WR 6-5 228 R-Sr. Philadelphia, Pa. / Neumann-Goretti
59 Aaron Roberts OL 6-4 311 R-Sr. Chicago, Ill. / De La Salle Institute
95 Chris Slayton DL 6-4 320 R-Sr. University Park, Ill. / Crete Monee
2 Eric Dungey QB 6-4 228 Sr. Lake Oswego, Ore. / Lakeridge
4 Dontae Strickland RB 5-11 207 Sr. Dayton, N.J. / South Brunswick
6 Ravian Pierce TE 6-3 244 Sr. Plantation, Fla. / Plantation
25 Kielan Whitner LB 6-0 216 Sr. Lawrenceville, Ga. / Mountain View
26 Tyrone Perkins DB 6-0 205 Sr. Glen Head, N.Y. / Friends Academy
41 Ryan Guthrie LB 6-2 222 Sr. Cumming, Ga. / West Forsyth
47 Matt Keller LS 5-11 225 Sr. Willow Street, Pa. / Penn Manor
60 Cody Conway OL 6-6 300 Sr. Plainfield, Ill. / Plainfield North

Scholies/Walkons ?
71 Keaton Darney OL 6-3 284 R-Sr. Los Angeles, Calif. / Loyola
31 Kyle Kleinberg TE 6-0 232 Sr. Armonk, N.Y. / Don Bosco Prep (N.J.)

Walkon
85 Ben Brickman WR 5-8 172 Sr. Albany, N.Y. / Shaker
We have 81 on scholarship right now, with three potentially being held for Johnson, Jordan, and Gardner.

So 84 tops on the books. Subtract the 12 you have listed (although Cordy could get a year back) and then subtract potentially 3 or 4 more for grad transfer / transfer / attrition, and you've still got 15 or 16.

A good sign that things are trending in the right direction.

It might be with the new rule change that allows kids entering their senior years to take official visits in the Spring some kids may be waiting to make a commitment until after they take their ovs. Sounds like the staff had the Spring Game on Friday evening because there were some kids taking ovs.

Calm down. Just file an extension...still plenty of time.

The check is on its way to Hartford, CT. That's about the only thing that's agitating me a mite.

Seems a little odd that things have been so quiet.

From brief research, as this point we had 3 commits (Trill Williams, Willem Froumey, Gabe Horan). Wonder why things have been so quiet.

And just a thought, maybe the coaches are waiting to accept commits until after prospects receive their Junior year grades. With the early signing period it might be easier to wait and make sure a kid is going to qualify.

Also we are in the evaluation period which is academic and athletic.

Every single cycle, for the past several, there have been early projections of a small class (14-15). And every time, the class comes in at 22 - 25.

At some point, do we learn that attrition (injuries, transfers, academics, behavior) is a normal fact of life for football programs?

Every single cycle, for the past several, there have been early projections of a small class (14-15). And every time, the class comes in at 22 - 25.

At some point, do we learn that attrition (injuries, transfers, academics, behavior) is a normal fact of life for football programs?

I don't think you can count on it though and with Babers' first class being seniors next year so I'd expect the higher attrition to tail off a bit.

I don't think you can count on it though and with Babers' first class being seniors next year so I'd expect the higher attrition to tail off a bit.

Maybe -- the Shafer recruits who "did not fit the system" have left. But within a 85 player roster, you always have a handful of players who find they aren't going to see the two-deep here, who see they are being recruited over, who have injuries and are DQed, who want to play closer to home, who give up the sport, who have a brush with the law.

Can't count on that in the first stage of recruiting (now through the end of July), but post-season, the class size estimate swells. When has it ever not?

Yeah, we're totally screwed.

Pitt now has the dubious honor of being the only ACC team without a 2019 commit! (No, I don't think Pitt is screwed either...yet!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom