TC is back, what a great shooting night... | Syracusefan.com

TC is back, what a great shooting night...

The thing that cracks me up is - after 3 poor shooting performances this season, Cooney is a terrible shooter. Nevermind all the other games he's been lights out. Let's crucify someone for a few poor games, but not point out how great he's looked for the other 12 or 13.

Here's the thing--why do we need a game-by-game running commentary?

All players have ups and downs. Why focus on one?

Great question. I think it's because some people have agendas. Cooney has a miserable shooting season last year, so some folks would tear him down and say he didn't deserve to play at the D1 level, etc. And since he's been more or less lighting the world on fire (minus a few games), they have been proven wrong and feel the need to point out how "right" they were with every poor performance. Sadly, for them - they've only had a few opportunities to do so because Trevor has looked great the majority of the season. Haters gonna hate.

dam rite

More 5 of 8 games less 2-12.

Save that 10 of 12 for April

Nah, the Shaky Potatoes thread will likely be bumped again as is tradition.

Great question. I think it's because some people have agendas. Cooney has a miserable shooting season last year, so some folks would tear him down and say he didn't deserve to play at the D1 level, etc. And since he's been more or less lighting the world on fire (minus a few games), they have been proven wrong and feel the need to point out how "right" they were with every poor performance. Sadly, for them - they've only had a few opportunities to do so because Trevor has looked great the majority of the season. Haters gonna hate.

Someone said he had a bad night, not that he was a bad player, and because he's been adopted by many on this board as needing a wall of protection people clamor to defend his honor.

The kid had 10 points on 17 FGAs and while he had five steals, he had zero boards and zero assists. He had a bad, and more importantly - inefficient, night. He's had a rough start to the ACC conference with his shooting. He'll be fine and we'll have plenty of 4-7 from 3 nights from TC and we'll continue to win. He's playing good D, had a bunch of steals and is a confident player.

But please let's keep making sure no one can say anything critiquing him on an Internet fan message board.

People are making it seem like posters are saying he was point shaving.

Also, because we are a pretty active message board. Cooney starts shooting it well and we're gonna get excited about that (I certainly did). Thus when he has a some bad shooting games (as all shooters do) it's gonna get mentioned. As long as the criticism doesn't get personal, I'm cool with it.

Someone said he had a bad night, not that he was a bad player, and because he's been adopted by many on this board as needing a wall of protection people clamor to defend his honor.

The kid had 10 points on 17 FGAs and while he had five steals, he had zero boards and zero assists. He had a bad, and more importantly - inefficient, night. He's had a rough start to the ACC conference with his shooting. He'll be fine and we'll have plenty of 4-7 from 3 nights from TC and we'll continue to win. He's playing good D, had a bunch of steals and is a confident player.

But please let's keep making sure no one can say anything critiquing him on an Internet fan message board.

People have said that he is a bad player. Make no mistake, he had TERRIBLE night shooting. I'm just stating that he gets attacked a lot more than others. CJ has been somewhat of a turnover machine and you don't see CJ threads popping up after every game. Ennis went a game without scoring. Grant has had a few games where he was out of control & forcing things. Those threads pop up a lot less than the every game Cooney thread. Personally, I'm just sick of seeing/listening to people attack a kid, who is clearly a vital part of this team's success. We're 16-0 and #2 in the country. As a fanbase, we should be enjoying this. It's been a fantastic season so far.

People have said that he is a bad player. Make no mistake, he had TERRIBLE night shooting. I'm just stating that he gets attacked a lot more than others. CJ has been somewhat of a turnover machine and you don't see CJ threads popping up after every game. Ennis went a game without scoring. Grant has had a few games where he was out of control & forcing things. Those threads pop up a lot less than the every game Cooney thread. Personally, I'm just sick of seeing/listening to people attack a kid, who is clearly a vital part of this team's success. We're 16-0 and #2 in the country. As a fanbase, we should be enjoying this. It's been a fantastic season so far.

If you can find a thread where someone calls him a bad player from this year, please show me (and I mean this sincerely). What I see is people commenting on his performances, which is fair game.

I've seen people comment on CJ's turnovers. I have definitely seen people asking how in the world Grant could consider entering the draft because of his limitations.

Here is the other reason why Cooney should warrant more comments: If he has the green light to shoot 17 times a game, including 12 three pointers, that is a huge amount of possessions that he is taking into his own hands while also averaging less than 2 assists per game or 2 boards per game (in fairness, he is over 2 steals per game). He is averaging 10 FGAs per game, including 7 1/2 threes attempted per game. That's a lot of shots.

I'm ecstatic over this team. I think TC will be great and will get back on track. But it's not coming out of nowhere when people comment on him.

I'm glad he's seeing tougher defenders get in his grille right off the hop in this first ACC season. For in Saturday's game, there were signs he's getting better at dealing with it. I'm willing to bet this is the toughest he's ever been played, and in the end he will be a better player because of it. Notice his frustration with his shot hasn't lead to moping or pouting, and he was stoked for UNC :). Does anyone think everybody just fell down in awe when JJ Reddick arrived in the gym? Hell, no. Reddick worked the ass off anyone who tried to stay with him and still ran up numbers like a gas pump. But remember, we only ever saw Reddick at his best, and as a senior he was the first option in Duke's offense. TC is a soph, and Grant and Fair need the ball. But SU also needs them to have it, and Ennis has done a nice job of making one ball work for 5 players. Because Christmas is learning to play with his back to the basket, which is making SU a much stronger team. And that's fine, because Cooney isn't going to see another "soft" defender until next year's OOC - and even then only maybe.

If you can find a thread where someone calls him a bad player from this year, please show me (and I mean this sincerely). What I see is people commenting on his performances, which is fair game.

I've seen people comment on CJ's turnovers. I have definitely seen people asking how in the world Grant could consider entering the draft because of his limitations.

Here is the other reason why Cooney should warrant more comments: If he has the green light to shoot 17 times a game, including 12 three pointers, that is a huge amount of possessions that he is taking into his own hands while also averaging less than 2 assists per game or 2 boards per game (in fairness, he is over 2 steals per game). He is averaging 10 FGAs per game, including 7 1/2 threes attempted per game. That's a lot of shots.

I'm ecstatic over this team. I think TC will be great and will get back on track. But it's not coming out of nowhere when people comment on him.

Look for anything said by TBCuse. He's generally the one to get things started.

I do agree with you that people have commented on CJ and Jerami, however, it's not an after every game occurrence. There is a Cooney thread or 2 or 3 after every game, it seems. Again, I'm not disagreeing with you that Cooney was awful from the floor last game. He put up a ton of shots, but I'll take my chances with him from the 3 pt line as opposed to anyone else we've got.

Here's the thing--why do we need a game-by-game running commentary?

All players have ups and downs. Why focus on one?
OK, whatever, but this is no running commentary. FYI, the thread was created basically in jest for those who unjustly get down on TC just because of a bad shooting game or 2 (not a bad total game). I enjoy watching the team, and the ups and downs are normal, thankfully most of the time ups. Is that OK?

Those 3 breakaway thunderdunks in a short span and that baseline floater along with penetration impressed me more than his jumpshooting tonight. As one of the announcers said, he's no longer a one dimensional player. Looks like he could be a great player, better than even most of his supporters imagine, if he can do it fairly consistently. Time will tell.

Trevor had a great game.

But, he did not make the shots he is supposed to make on this team. Down three a few possessions into our run (44-47 I think) he gets an open look to tie and misses. Later, up a few with BC fighting back a broken play finds Ennis getting him the ball with :02 on the shot clock wide open at the top of the key, miss.

Those two shots stood out to me that I thought he would make but didn't. I can live with it if he plays like he has, just pointing out what I think seems to be the shots he's getting heat for by some here.

As always, he played great D and hustled. Even made shots he probably shouldn't (the contested three where he just pulled up like a boss).

Well, that makes sense. The ESPN scroll just said Mark Schwartz to break Syracuse point shaving scandal involving Trevor Cooney.

Trevor had a great game.

But, he did not make the shots he is supposed to make on this team. Down three a few possessions into our run (44-47 I think) he gets an open look to tie and misses. Later, up a few with BC fighting back a broken play finds Ennis getting him the ball with :02 on the shot clock wide open at the top of the key, miss.

Those two shots stood out to me that I thought he would make but didn't. I can live with it if he plays like he has, just pointing out what I think seems to be the shots he's getting heat for by some here.

As always, he played great D and hustled. Even made shots he probably shouldn't (the contested three where he just pulled up like a boss).

When he took that 3 with :02 on the clock all I wanted was for it to hit the rim so we didn't get a shot clock violation and we would have a shot at an offensive rebound. Imagine how pleased I was when it worked out that way.

OK, whatever, but this is no running commentary. FYI, the thread was created basically in jest for those who unjustly get down on TC just because of a bad shooting game or 2 (not a bad total game). I enjoy watching the team, and the ups and downs are normal, thankfully most of the time ups. Is that OK?

Lighten up--my post wasn't directed at you, it was basically making the same point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom