Team three point shooting... | Syracusefan.com

Team three point shooting...

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
SU is shooting three-pointers at a 34.4% clip since conference play started. In the non-conference, SU shot 30.8%. Usually, three-point shooting percentage goes down in conference play, not up. I think that points to another sign that this team is slowly gelling on offense. The players are getting guys three-pointers in rhythm, instead of forcing them up.

I don't believe this offense will ever be one to write home about, but I do think it's improving. I also think this team, more than others in the past are susceptible to bad matchups. What I mean by that is that this team is NOT going to match up well against teams that play tight man to man, slow the game down, and don't switch on screens; especially the screen and roll.

The good news is this team is getting better at shooting the three, and that will force teams to respect it. Tight man to man will be susceptible to the dribble drive. Unfortunately, we only have one guy that is a natural slasher, and another who is buried on the bench because of turnovers. Jalen Carey is going to need to get the splinters out of his rear sooner or later and needs to learn to not shoot ill-advised threes. Two slashers on the court at the same time gives us a better chance against the UVA's of the world.

The tournament is going to be all about the draw this year because our offensive flow is dictated much more by how the other team plays defense than it has in the past. Our defense also isn't "elite". When I say elite, I mean top 10 elite. We currently stand at #22 in Ken Pom's adjusted defense ratings. Not bad, but with the limitations of the offense, not enough. Last year for comparison's sake, our defense was #5. The limitations on offense were there, but the defense was so good we could take down better teams. Hopefully, the defense will continue to improve this year, and the offensive efficiency will continue to gain momentum (68th as of this morning, 135th last year). To win in the tourney you need to be elite in one of these categories. Looking forward we need to hope this defense rounds into form in the next 10 games, and becomes more efficient (more steals/blocks will help).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom