Teams around us | Syracusefan.com

Teams around us

Knicks411

Living Legend
Was looking at the most recent Lunardi update from Friday. We were 15th on his S-Curve, so one of the last 4 seeds. Here are the teams behind us that we might want to keep an eye on.

16-Wisconsin (play @Purdue tomorrow)
17- Ohio State (no game this week, go to Indiana next week)
18- Oklahoma State (losing by 4 to Texas in the first half, still have go to Iowa State and have K-State at home)
19- UNLV (@Nevada today, 2 winnable home games afterward)
20- Notre Dame- Lost to Marquette today, still have to go to Lville
21- Pitt- Will probably finish the regular season running the table and may match up with us at MSG
22- St. Louis- Playing great ball, could run the table in the regular season
23- Colorado State- road games @ Boise and Wyoming (tough place to play)
24- Butler- got blitzed by VCU today, still need to go to UMass and have Xavier at home

So that takes us up through his 6 seeds. Obviously that's just one man;s opinion of things, but it's something to work off. If we beat Depaul, lose to Gtown, and win the first round BET game before losing to (probably) Pitt on Thursday, that seems like a 5 seed to me. Beating Pitt (or winning in DC) brings a 4 back into play.

Was looking at the most recent Lunardi update from Friday. We were 15th on his S-Curve, so one of the last 4 seeds. Here are the teams behind us that we might want to keep an eye on.

16-Wisconsin (play @Purdue tomorrow)
17- Ohio State (no game this week, go to Indiana next week)
18- Oklahoma State (losing by 4 to Texas in the first half, still have go to Iowa State and have K-State at home)
19- UNLV (@Nevada today, 2 winnable home games afterward)
20- Notre Dame- Lost to Marquette today, still have to go to Lville
21- Pitt- Will probably finish the regular season running the table and may match up with us at MSG
22- St. Louis- Playing great ball, could run the table in the regular season
23- Colorado State- road games @ Boise and Wyoming (tough place to play)
24- Butler- got blitzed by VCU today, still need to go to UMass and have Xavier at home

So that takes us up through his 6 seeds. Obviously that's just one man;s opinion of things, but it's something to work off. If we beat Depaul, lose to Gtown, and win the first round BET game before losing to (probably) Pitt on Thursday, that seems like a 5 seed to me. Beating Pitt (or winning in DC) brings a 4 back into play.

Wanted to bump my own thread here.

Wisconsin took a brutal home loss today to Purdue. Colorado State lost to Boise. Here's 13-24 (so the 4, 5 and 6 seeds)

13-Marquette
14- Syracuse
15- Wisconsin
16- Ohio State
17- Oklahoma State
18- Arizona
19- UNLV
20- St. Louis
21- Pitt
22- Notre Dame
23- VCU
24- Oregon

Just to be clear, we actually moved up from 15 to 14 on his list with the loss. (Nothing happens in a vacuum).

So certainly Wisconsin is going to drop at least a few spots with that loss. Ohio State has to go to Bloomington on Tuesday; certainly a win there would be huge but more likely they will drop that one.

I'm pretty sure we will be a 4 seed in Monday's bracket. To drop below a 5 I think we'd either need to lose to either Depaul or the first round BET or have a bunch of the teams around us go nuts and win a ton of games.

You can basically break the schedule down into 2 parts right now. @Gtown and then the presumed game against Pitt on Thursday at the BET and Depaul at home and Rutgers/Seton Hall on Wednesday at the BET. I think 2-2 and we basically tread water, could drop to a 5. I think we are much more likely to win one of the tougher games than lose one of the easier games.

Boy I just saw this. Interesting. There still is a chance if we can beat Georgetown and maybe win two or threef games in the BET still grab a 3 seed.

Boy I just saw this. Interesting. There still is a chance if we can beat Georgetown and maybe win two or threef games in the BET still grab a 3 seed.

If you have a lot of faith in Lunardi (which is debatable, to be sure) then they easily could still get a 3. They'd basically have to leapfrog 2 teams. (Right now it's Marquette and Kansas State).

Might need to win 3 at MSG, not sure. If they won 2 at MSG it would mean they won @Gtown and beat Pitt on a neutral site. (Plus epaul and one of the jersey schools). Would that be enough to jump a couple teams? It could be.

I'll reiterate what I've said before; the main thing I want to avoid is being in Indiana's region, assuming they get Indy.

If you have a lot of faith in Lunardi (which is debatable, to be sure) then they easily could still get a 3. They'd basically have to leapfrog 2 teams. (Right now it's Marquette and Kansas State).

Might need to win 3 at MSG, not sure. If they won 2 at MSG it would mean they won @Gtown and beat Pitt on a neutral site. (Plus epaul and one of the jersey schools). Would that be enough to jump a couple teams? It could be.

I'll reiterate what I've said before; the main thing I want to avoid is being in Indiana's region, assuming they get Indy.

Massive that we avoid Indiana in Indianapolis.

We really just need to win games as our resume is solid with zero bad losses which will help. Plus there are plenty of marquee teams ahead of us to help jump teams.

Great analysis Knicks I really want to be on the 4 line so we can avoid the dreaded 5 vs 12 game and potentially have a chance for a 4 vs 12 matchup in the second round. The one seeds don't scare me (outside of IU in Indy) I think that home loss by Wisconsin will really help us and we need Indiana to beat Ohio State this week. If we get 3 wins before the NCAA tournament I think we are a lock to be at worst a 4 seed. Also, don't K-State and Oklahoma State have another game against each other? If so, go Kansas State.

Yeah, Kansas State goes to Stillwater next weekend.

K-State barely got by Baylor last night, thanks to Baylor throwing an inbounds pass the length of the court out of bounds and giving K-State the ball under their own bucket and they hit a 3 to win it. Would've been nice if K-State lost, would've given us more of a chance to catch them coming down if we win a few

Yeah, Kansas State goes to Stillwater next weekend.

K-State barely got by Baylor last night, thanks to Baylor throwing an inbounds pass the length of the court out of bounds and giving K-State the ball under their own bucket and they hit a 3 to win it. Would've been nice if K-State lost, would've given us more of a chance to catch them coming down if we win a few

God that ending was ridiculous. Baylor really messed up

Basically we gotta beat DePaul and our first BET game for sure it comes down to can we win @Georgetown or beat probably Pitt in 4 vs 5 game in BET or Marquette in the 3 vs 6 to get the 3 wins for the NCAA tournament.

here is a great site that tracks most all bracket projections so if you dodn't think lunardi is good heres over 100 projections. we average out to #13 on s curve as of the update after yesterdays games.wisconsin most definately falls to at least a 5 maybe a 6 with the bad home loss today

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

here is a great site that tracks most all bracket projections so if you dodn't think lunardi is good heres over 100 projections. we average out to #13 on s curve as of the update after yesterdays games.wisconsin most definately falls to at least a 5 maybe a 6 with the bad home loss today

http://bracketproject.50webs.com/matrix.htm

I use this religiously and posted the same link last week. Good way to keep track of everything.

Also, don't K-State and Oklahoma State have another game against each other? If so, go Kansas State.
wait, don't we want k-state to lose?

wait, don't we want k-state to lose?
Even though I am not afraid of Kansas State they have earned their spot above us being tied for 1st place in the Big XII and Oklahoma State doesn't have the non-conference wins that Kansas State does over Florida and as a result I think we want Oklahoma State losing just so we are above them I think Kansas State would stay ahead of us if they lost a game on the road at Okie State.

im not so sure kansas state is ahead of us i think were both 4 seeds

We've seen 1st hand what happens when you win the BET, or just reach the finals. You can go from outside the bubble to a 5 (06), from a 6-7 seed to a 3 (09), from an 8-10 to a 3 (UCONN).

Anything from a 2 to an 8-9 is still theoretical imo.

If we can't earn a 3, then I'd like to see us as a 6. Not only because we wouldn't have to face the 1 until the Elite 8, but I've never seen Syracuse as a 6 seed I don't think. We were a 7 in 1995. Don't ever remember a 6.

If we can't earn a 3, then I'd like to see us as a 6. Not only because we wouldn't have to face the 1 until the Elite 8, but I've never seen Syracuse as a 6 seed I don't think. We were a 7 in 1995. Don't ever remember a 6.

1992, beat Princeton, lost to UMASS

in 1995 we were a 4 seed

We've seen 1st hand what happens when you win the BET, or just reach the finals. You can go from outside the bubble to a 5 (06), from a 6-7 seed to a 3 (09), from an 8-10 to a 3 (UCONN).

Anything from a 2 to an 8-9 is still theoretical imo.
Lots of times people feel that JAB doesn't put a lot of emphasis into the BET and feels that the NCAA is more important. However, this year could be opposite and we could make a run. No reason we can't beat anyone on a neutral court.

Lots of times people feel that JAB doesn't put a lot of emphasis into the BET and feels that the NCAA is more important. However, this year could be opposite and we could make a run. No reason we can't beat anyone on a neutral court.
Everyone is going to want this last one. Should be great!

Really? I've always thought the opposite. He's really concerned about winning the BE regular season. Then the BE tourney. I've thought he barely tolerated the NCAA tourney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom