Teams we need to start watching more of before the NCAA Tournament | Syracusefan.com

Teams we need to start watching more of before the NCAA Tournament

Alsacs

Living Legend
The teams below are the teams we are likely to seed in the NCAA tournament. I wonder if Marsh01 has scouting reports on all these teams and which are the toughest matchups for us and best matchups for us.

I have seen enough of Villanova, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Michigan, Iowa, San Diego State but these are the teams.

2/3 seed teams
1. Florida
2. Kentucky
3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa
5. San Diego State
6. Iowa State

4/5 seed teams
1. Cincinnati
2. Oklahoma State
3. Michigan
4. Oklahoma
5. UMass
6. Xavier

8/9 seed teams
1. Kansas State
2. Gonzaga
3. VCU
4. UCLA
5. Tennessee
6. New Mexico
7. Memphis
8. George Washington

Michigan, oklahoma,iowa, iowa st and gonzaga are my main concerns. Have seen most of those teams play multiple times and those 4 concern me. I would add creighton in here too. They look to be in the 4 or 5 zone as well and are scary.

The teams below are the teams we are likely to seed in the NCAA tournament. I wonder if Marsh01 has scouting reports on all these teams and which are the toughest matchups for us and best matchups for us.

I have seen enough of Villanova, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Michigan, Iowa, San Diego State but these are the teams.

2/3 seed teams
1. Florida - YES
2. Kentucky - YES
3. Wisconsin - NO
4. Iowa - NO
5. San Diego State - NO
6. Iowa State - NO

4/5 seed teams
1. Cincinnati - YES
2. Oklahoma State - YES
3. Michigan - YES
4. Oklahoma - YES
5. UMass - YES
6. Xavier - YES

8/9 seed teams
1. Kansas State _ YES
2. Gonzaga - YES
3. VCU - YES
4. UCLA - YES
5. Tennessee - YES
6. New Mexico - YES
7. Memphis - YES
8. George Washington - YES

Yes means teams I would love to see us face. No are teams I would like to avoid.

The bracket Matrix has these teams as 8-9 seeds.

8 seeds are Xaview-Baylor-UCLA-Oregon
9 seeds are KState-FSU-Geo Wash-Cal

Here are the 4-5 seeds

4 seeds are Kentucky-creighton-Iowa -Duke
5 seeds are cincy-louisville-ohio state-pitt

That sweet 16 game will be difficult if the 4-5's advance

Last edited:
Teams like Kentucky or Memphis do not scare me. They have great athletes with low bb IQ. Sure they can go on a tear for a part of a game but once they become frustrated.... games over. I think the zone will give them FITS; get in their heads and it is over. I would consider Cal an average at best in game coach. Jury's still out on Pashner.

In the 2/3 Category the teams that make me a bit uneasy are Wisconsin, Iowa, and Iowa St. They all seem well coached and score the ball fairly well. Of course both Wisconsin and Iowa St. are both in a bit of a slide right now, but I think they will both be dangerous in a one and done format.

In the 4/5 Category the only teams that concern me are Oklahoma St. and Michigan. Both of these teams have multiple players that could go off on any given night. They each also have a very good three point shooter in Phil Forte(53-106) for Okie St. and Nik Stauskas(44-100).

In the 8/9 Category its UCLA and Memphis that worry me. This is another pair of high scoring teams that get it done as teams. Memphis has eight guys that are currently scoring five points a game. As for UCLA they are about as balanced as it gets. Four guys average more than ten a game and they have 8 guys who play at least 20 minutes a game. The main thing that scares me is Kyle Anderson, he is a point guard masquerading as a power forward. He is the size of Rak and is a fantastic passer. He is one of the few players in the nation that I believe has the ability and poise to hurt us from the high post. He also grabs almost nine boards a game which is not to shabby. In the end I expect UCLA to move up towards the 5 or 6 line when its all said and done.

Of course there is tons of basketball left to play, but based of the teams you've provided these are the one who scare me the most(if they were seeded in their category). I also believe if we play or game and execute our game plan not a single one of these teams beats us when we are playing well.

Marsh your yes no is pretty dead on IMO. I would like to avoid Wisci but not as worried about them as in years past. They have real trouble stopping the ball so we will score but also their offense is much more centered around the two big guys in the post than it ever has been. I don't think they are as dangerous a catch and shoot team as In years past. Last time we played them they shot ridiculously and lost.

Marsh your yes no is pretty dead on IMO. I would like to avoid Wisci but not as worried about them as in years past. They have real trouble stopping the ball so we will score but also their offense is much more centered around the two big guys in the post than it ever has been. I don't think they are as dangerous a catch and shoot team as In years past. Last time we played them they shot ridiculously and lost.

That was my thought process as well. This is not your typical Bo Ryan team. Weak PG and not as good of a defensive team as he has had in the past.

Michigan, oklahoma,iowa, iowa st and gonzaga are my main concerns. Have seen most of those teams play multiple times and those 4 concern me. I would add creighton in here too. They look to be in the 4 or 5 zone as well and are scary.

Oklahoma can get hot but they really love to run and if we stop that we would be fine IMO. Iowa and Iowa St I am hoping to be on the other side of the bracket from us I want nothing to do with either good call there. Gonzaga kind of blows this year and I'd love to see them in our bracket. After that Nova game I don't think anyone wants to see Creighton. Doubt they go super deep and can win 6 in a row but if they shoot like that they can beat anyone for one game.

I think Canisius is going to be this years surprise school.

Don't ignore St. Louis.
This is a talented, well-coached team with close losses only to Wisconsin and Wichita State.

Don't ignore St. Louis.
This is a talented, well-coached team with close losses only to Wisconsin and Wichita State.

I would guess they project as a 6/7 right now so out of our wheelhouse early on so to speech and if we played them in the regional final to make the FF I think we would all be happy with that.

I think Canisius is going to be this years surprise school.
They have some talent but will the committee put them in Buffalo. I would be surprised. Also, I think we will definitely be up against UMass at some point. They were already listed but I have a hunch we will see them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom