Tempo | Syracusefan.com

Tempo

Dave

2nd String
I argued last year that the pace we played at was deliberate. We had a thin bench, and were frequently playing teams with more firepower. I said that naturally we would push tempo this year. I was wrong. We are still getting deep into the shot clock and playing very deliberately. When we face token pressure we are volleyballing the basketball back and forth laterally over a defender and chewing up clock. This is against weaker competition and lesser athletes. It feels like we should be trying to get teams in transition and attacking the press. The lack of a true point isn't the reason because we have four guys out there who can handle well enough in transition. Maybe coach is just working on things. Sometimes you hold the horses just to turn games into clinics to address specific areas. At some point, you just gotta let the horses run though.

I argued last year that the pace we played at was deliberate. We had a thin bench, and were frequently playing teams with more firepower. I said that naturally we would push tempo this year. I was wrong. We are still getting deep into the shot clock and playing very deliberately. When we face token pressure we are volleyballing the basketball back and forth laterally over a defender and chewing up clock. This is against weaker competition and lesser athletes. It feels like we should be trying to get teams in transition and attacking the press. The lack of a true point isn't the reason because we have four guys out there who can handle well enough in transition. Maybe coach is just working on things. Sometimes you hold the horses just to turn games into clinics to address specific areas. At some point, you just gotta let the horses run though.
Through 5 games, we rank 224th in Adjusted Tempo (up from 345th last year), and our average offensive possession length is 16.7 seconds (which ranks 143rd). This is an improvement from 19.6 seconds last year (which ranked 341st among all D-1 Schools ).

So your eyes may not be seeing it, but the tempo has definitely improved some.

Through 5 games, we rank 224th in Adjusted Tempo (up from 345th last year), and our average offensive possession length is 16.7 seconds (which ranks 143rd). This is an improvement from 19.6 seconds last year (which ranked 341st among all D-1 Schools ).

I clearly do see it. I am not surprised at the star. We are not holding to 10 to get into the offense. However, we are not playing in transition. We are not pushing transition, and we are allowing weak presses to control our tempo as opposed to attacking. Maybe I overstated my point.

Based on the MSG performance that could mean the Orange are taking less time to put up bad shots.

But in order to run you have to rebound.
Perhaps the team will consider trying that.

Good to see the tempo a little better. As long as there is passing for a purpose and not pounding the rock in one place out behind the 3pt line I don’t care how long they take. But, Frank isn’t right yet. Even at 100% he isn’t that fast. I’m assuming Jalen Carey was 100% last game but he isn’t the blur or downhill guy I had hoped so far. He’s not THAT fast. I think running will be selective and hopefully we can rebound better and better to help here. I still am worrisome about the offense and the actual collective skill out there. Length we have but not tons of team speed/quickness also, IMO. Hope I’m wrong but, especially against certain teams, I have a feeling we will really struggle offensively which means JB will grind out and muck up the game with all the focus on D.

Two points, the decrease in the off poss time this year is thur 5 games, 3 against "weaker"teams. What will happen againts better team. And 2nd of all, has there been an increase in fast break possessions? I would think it wouldn't take many to drop the average only 3 seconds.

We’re 224th!! Whooooo

Is part of this tempo equation just firing up a 3 pointer too early in the clock? Serious question because I don't know how they figure this.

How have the 2 on 1's looked this year so far?

I hate the volleyball passes. It maximizes the time the defense has to get there and doesn't get the ball down the court.

as noted many times even token pressure in the backcourt is chewing 10-12 seconds off our shot clock.
tempus fugit . which in latin roughly translates into "if you ain't pushing tempo you fugged."

Last edited:
Is part of this tempo equation just firing up a 3 pointer too early in the clock? Serious question because I don't know how they figure this.

How have the 2 on 1's looked this year so far?
I honestly don't know how Pomeroy calculates Adjusted Tempo... I blindly trust most of his stuff, though. If anybody out there is a stats person, I highly recommend subscribing to his site. Great stuff.

But to look at another early metric this year, the average D-1 team is averaging 70.1 possessions per game and Syracuse is averaging 69.3 possessions per game. For comparison, last year the average D-1 team averaged 68.3 possessions per game and SU averaged only 62.9 possessions per game. So this year, the average D-1 team is playing a little bit faster and Syracuse is playing faster as well (6 more possessions per game is, I think, a fairly substantial increase so far).

I honestly don't know how Pomeroy calculates Adjusted Tempo... I blindly trust most of his stuff, though. If anybody out there is a stats person, I highly recommend subscribing to his site. Great stuff.

But to look at another early metric this year, the average D-1 team is averaging 70.1 possessions per game and Syracuse is averaging 69.3 possessions per game. For comparison, last year the average D-1 team averaged 68.3 possessions per game and SU averaged only 62.9 possessions per game. So this year, the average D-1 team is playing a little bit faster and Syracuse is playing faster as well (6 more possessions per game is, I think, a fairly substantial increase so far).

True. Another valuable tool nobody seems to care about is floor %. Possessions/scoring on said possessions. We’re 90 currently. Last year we were close to 200 which is as bad as it gets when you play so slow. This site is gold.

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Floor % on TeamRankings.com

Last edited:

They keep track of possessions each game.

They keep track of possessions each game.
Yes, it’s the ‘Adjusted’ part of the ‘Adjusted Tempo’ statistic that I think might have some additional calculations behind it. I suspect that a team that was able to force Virginia to play a 75 possession game (16 above their average) would fare better in an ‘Adjusted’ metric than a team that played a 75 possession game against North Carolina (which is UNC’s average).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom