Test of Concept: The Ewing Theory | Syracusefan.com

Test of Concept: The Ewing Theory

moqui

generational talent
The Ewing Theory popularized by Bill Simmons examines how some teams actually get better when a seemingly indispensable player is lost.

Syracuse definitely has the parts to pick up and move on from this.

Rak and Baye will have to elevate their games, but they both have accumulated more than twice as many minutes as Dash Riley had at the same juncture in 2010, and they have both shown flashes of the ability to play well.

There is no margin for error, so everyone is going to have to be completely focused for every game.

The outside shooting is going to have to come back on line. Let's hope that the exit from the Big East elevates the three point percentages across the board, as it did in 2003.

The perimeter defenders are going to have to be that much better so as not to put to much reliance on the centers, who are more likely to draw fouls than the much more experienced Fab.

This team still has Sweet 16 talent; it will take some serious coaching to rework it all in a week to a unit that can overcome yet another blow and go that far.

I immediately thought of the Ewing Theory when I saw this

The Ewing Theory popularized by Bill Simmons examines how some teams actually get better when a seemingly indispensable player is lost.

Syracuse definitely has the parts to pick up and move on from this.

Rak and Baye will have to elevate their games, but they both have accumulated more than twice as many minutes as Dash Riley had at the same juncture in 2010, and they have both shown flashes of the ability to play well.

There is no margin for error, so everyone is going to have to be completely focused for every game.

The outside shooting is going to have to come back on line. Let's hope that the exit from the Big East elevates the three point percentages across the board, as it did in 2003.

The perimeter defenders are going to have to be that much better so as not to put to much reliance on the centers, who are more likely to draw fouls than the much more experienced Fab.

This team still has Sweet 16 talent; it will take some serious coaching to rework it all in a week to a unit that can overcome yet another blow and go that far.

I appreciate the optimism, but I really don't think its possible with this team.

It's not about replacing some points or a few rebounds. The loss of Melo really changed the entire complexion of the team. This team's calling card has been defense. Without Melo to anchor the defense, alter shots and tie up the middle I don't think the team can step up enough to offset the loss. Possibly if we played man to man you could see a step up, but JB would never do that and I don't think either of the two replacements can get close enough to what Melo gave us on defense for our zone to be nearly as effective.

Part of the Ewing theory involves a player who has been playing on the team forever (Drew Bledsoe, or Ewing) thus his real importance to the team is less than what is assumed. I think it's safe to say we already know Fab's importance to the team is not overrated.

Not necessarily. It's a player who gets an inordinate amount of media attention (enhh) or a team that the public collectively writes off after said player can no longer play (ding ding ding).

I appreciate the optimism, but I really don't think its possible with this team.
you don't think this squad can win two games against middling teams in a comfortable environment?

this squad certainly has Sweet 16 talent remaining.

you don't think this squad can win two games against middling teams in a comfortable environment?

Sweet 16 is our ceiling? Depressing.

Sweet 16 is our ceiling? Depressing.
where did I write that was the ceiling? I never thought this team was really Final Four material, but they do have a lot of talent and they still have this fantastic draw.

Sweet 16 is doable, and from there it is one game at a time. I would not be shocked at all to see this squad go 3-1 with the draw it is looking at.

I immediately thought - JT knew how to keep his erudite big man eligible.

Yes I agree with that. I was really making the comments with regard to my own hopes/expectations for what they would ultimately accomplish. Sweet 16 is a possibility, no longer something we should expect and given our record in that round, it is probably the jumping off point.

I immediately thought of the Ewing Theory when I saw this
Syracuse has its own Ewing Theory times : 86-87 lose Pearl then go to FF , 95-96 lose Moten then go to FF. I do not know if this is the same. More applicable is that there are still as many basketball plays available. Melo won't be getting any, somebody else will and if it nets out to SU we win. It's that easy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom