test of the program’s appeal | Syracusefan.com

test of the program’s appeal

Lukeyloo

Reigning 2004 Syracuse CYO Free Throw Champ
Can the program succeed beyond Boeheim? This is the first real test of the program’s appeal in it’s history. All of SU’s ability to attract talent over the years.. was it because of Boeheim and his prestige or because of the program’s prestige?

In other words, without having a big name proven HOF head coach on the sideline, can this program attract top level talent and attain success? I’m hoping for a long, successful career at SU for Red, but can he meet those goals at SU without being a nationally recognized name? I fear for the program’s future (no offense to Red).

Can the program succeed beyond Boeheim? This is the first real test of the program’s appeal in it’s history. All of SU’s ability to attract talent over the years.. was it because of Boeheim and his prestige or because of the program’s prestige?

In other words, without having a big name proven HOF head coach on the sideline, can this program attract top level talent and attain success? I’m hoping for a long, successful career at SU for Red, but can he meet those goals at SU without being a nationally recognized name? I fear for the program’s future (no offense to Red).
Program will ultimately be fine. It’s bigger than Boeheim.

I have a feeling that you haven't followed recruiting closely for the last 7 years.

I have a feeling that you haven't followed recruiting closely for the last 7 years.
I have and I haven’t been happy with the program’s standing lately. Doesn’t mean it can’t become even worse/more irrelevant post Boeheim.

I have and I haven’t been happy with the program’s standing lately. Doesn’t mean it can’t become even worse/more irrelevant post Boeheim.
If Red delivers mediocre results over the next couple of years (ie, losing seasons with marginal recruiting results), ultimately he will be removed and the school will pursue a new head coach to turn it around. Let’s hope Red figures it out and is successful. Regardless, the program won’t be stuck in a state of limbo held hostage by the ego of a man that doesn’t want to retire. That’s in itself is a positive step forward.

We’ll find out. I hope the athletic department/NIL collective gives him an honest crack at it and doesn’t cheap out on whatever resources Red thinks he needs.

"This is the first real test of the program’s appeal in it’s history."

Ahh, I don't think so.

Apparently you are not aware that when Boeheim took over the program from Roy Danforth (who left for Tulane, his Alma Mater if I recall) in 1976 he inherited a team that had been to the Final Four the previous year, and the NCAA tournament for four straight years, or that Danforth had a very successful eight year tenure winning at a greater than .667 clip; or proceeding Danforth Fred Lewis had a six year reign with a 91-57 won-lost record and had been to the Elite Eight; or that Lew Andreas had a 25 year reign, going 358-135 with a National Championship to his credit.

SU basketball has a long and successful history with several successful coaching transitions

This was the state of the program when Boeheim came onboard. The program already had plenty of appeal and past several "test(s)" . . . hopefully Red CONTINUES the long tradition of SU excellence in basketball. Excited for this new chapter in Orange basketball!
Roy Danforth (1968–1976)​
1968–69Roy Danforth9–16
1969–70Roy Danforth12–12
1970–71Roy Danforth19–7NIT First Round
1971–72Roy Danforth22–6NIT Quarterfinal
1972–73Roy Danforth24–5NCAA University Division Sweet Sixteen
1973–74Roy Danforth19–7NCAA Division I First Round
1974–75Roy Danforth23–9NCAA Division I Final Four
1975–76Roy Danforth20–9NCAA Division I First Round
Roy Danforth:148–71

Forum statistics

Threads