TGD negotiating series with St. John's..,, | Syracusefan.com

TGD negotiating series with St. John's..,,

Jake

Mod
Not sure how it'll work. There's an article up on Syracuse.com. Key item there is that MSG wants us there, that might lend itself to an annual game at the garden with split tickets. Or some type of home and home with another SU game at the garden in years that the johnnies come to the dome.

Don't think we're going to see a continuation of the uconn series.

Hearing GTown series is a priority over uconn. It will continue.

I would rather us play GTown and SJU than UConn. Who the hell wants to go to Hartford or Gampel?

ACC alternates its tourny between MSG and greensboro. A long home and home with the Jonnies, playing at the garden the years the ACC tourny isn't there. MSG might go for every other year of ACC rather than every year of SMU vs Houston.

I would rather us play GTown and SJU than UConn. Who the hell wants to go to Hartford or Gampel?
Wonder if Maryland leaving ACC makes a GTown series more likely to keep that DC recruiting pipeline open.

This has been what I hoped would happen. St. John's annually at MSG and a continuation of the Hoyas series alternating between the Dome and DC annually.

Likely last step will be a series of games 6 out of every 10 years that will get us in Philly at Wells Fargo at least three years every decade against Nova or Temple.

Wouldn't be surprised though to see Pitt schedule UConn annually at MSG or alternating games between Hartford and Pittsburgh.

Cheers,
Neil

ACC alternates its tourny between MSG and greensboro. A long home and home with the Jonnies, playing at the garden the years the ACC tourny isn't there. MSG might go for every other year of ACC rather than every year of SMU vs Houston.
That probably isn't going to happen on the part of the ACC. At least not right away. They are locked into Greensboro for the next three years.

If we do schedule a series with UConn, the conversation should start with, "Gampel is NOT on the table. If we hear the word Gampel, negotiations are over."

I would have no problem playing the Johnies every year @ MSG. Call it a road game every season ;)

Gtown is fine as a home and hiome but agree with others we need to do something so tickets are available@ the verizon center.
We do need to figure something out in Philly as well though.

Or some type of home and home with another SU game at the garden in years that the johnnies come to the dome.

I would be OK with this. However, I would not be OK with playing SJU at MSG (and only MSG) every single year.

St. John's rents the Garden. It costs them money. That's why not every single one of their games is there (half are in their little gym in Queens). I forget what their breakeven point in terms of tickets sold is to be profitable, but it's not small. It's big enough that they lose money on some of their Garden games. They do not lose money on our games. In other words, I'm not cool with our fans providing an annual subsidy to the St. John's athletic department. At this point, haven't we paid SJU's bills for enough years? They've been cashing checks for NCAA Tournament credits they didn't earn for the last decade.

If they want a home-and-home, fine. That's fair and the locals that are still upset about the ACC move will be happy to see an old Big East team come to CNY every other year. However, MSG wants us there. In the years that we're not playing SJU in the Garden, let MSG find us a different opponent. I'd rather the variety anyway. I'd also rather fill James Dolan's pocket than SJU's. We still get to play in MSG every season (which is key), but another school doesn't get all the money from it.

Then again, if they want to alternate, with us getting the school's cut of the gate & concessions every other year, then that might work too. Long story short: I want to see some money. :cool:

The only way we should play Georgetown is at the dome and MSG, we don't need to play them in DC. Schedule a series with Maryland, their going to need to play an East Coast team, or lose their entire fanbase.

I would be OK with this. However, I would not be OK with playing SJU at MSG (and only MSG) every single year.

St. John's rents the Garden. It costs them money. That's why not every single one of their games is there (half are in their little gym in Queens). I forget what their breakeven point in terms of tickets sold is to be profitable, but it's not small. It's big enough that they lose money on some of their Garden games. They do not lose money on our games. In other words, I'm not cool with our fans providing an annual subsidy to the St. John's athletic department. At this point, haven't we paid SJU's bills for enough years? They've been cashing checks for NCAA Tournament credits they didn't earn for the last decade.

If MSG is annual, it's not going to be treated as a St. John's home game. MSG will make this an "event" game, meaning both teams split revenue. Call it "Battle for NY" or something, whatever.

How about having a Big Apple Tourny every year with St. John's, SU, Rutgers, and UConn almost like the old Carrier Classic? Imagine 1st game could be SU/SJU and then Uconn/Rutgers. The winners face each other and losers face each other. Winner gets the Big Apple Trophy! Always gives us two games at the garden a year. It will allow the rivalry to remain.

Maybe they can get another tourney going in DC with Villanova/ Maryland and Georgetown/West Virginia. The winner of that tourney faces the winner of the other and cross-over games(except in same league). Games played in DC/NYC/Philly.

Each team comes out with 3 games. All the teams will have an opportunity to play former rivals and keep fans happy. That would be better than those SEC vs BE games or ACC - Big10 games.

SJU at MSG every other year.

GTown a 2-1 every 4 years and unlock the tixs.

UConn a 2-1 every 4 years with the 1 being at MSG

We'd play at MSG 3 of every 4 years and if you look at that matrix it can be set up so that we play 2 of those 3 teams every year.

We hold the upper hand. Make it work for us and take advantage of that upper hand.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I hear what you're saying, but... there's no reason not to do MSG every year. It's not exactly a Herculean task to pull off. When there's a surplus of in-season tournaments and the venue wants us, I don't see how TGD couldn't get it done (and I think he will).

SJU at MSG every other year.

GTown a 2-1 every 4 years and unlock the tixs.

UConn a 2-1 every 4 years with the 1 being at MSG

We'd play at MSG 3 of every 4 years and if you look at that matrix it can be set up so that we play 2 of those 3 teams every year.

We hold the upper hand. Make it work for us and take advantage of that upper hand.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
That sounds a lot like the deal that Joe Paterno, as PSU AD, wanted Jake Crouthamel to swallow in ~1988.

I have no problem if we never play UConn again. In short order they aren't going to be the same UConn anyway. No Calhoun, no legit conference affiliation....no program. If they somehow work their way into the ACC, then they'll be worth our time,

SU doesn't need to do a home-and-home with St. John's. SU can play anyone from Marist to Stony Brook at MSG. One fewer game at the Carrier Dome against Alcorn State or Central Connecticut shouldn't bother anyone in CNY.

SU doesn't need to do a home-and-home with St. John's. SU can play anyone from Marist to Stony Brook at MSG. One fewer game at the Carrier Dome against Alcorn State or Central Connecticut shouldn't bother anyone in CNY.
SU should play St Johns away at MSG every year. No need to bring St Johns up to the Carrier dome. SU gets the benefit of having this called an away game along with playing at MSG. And the St Johns name, and level, is much better than a Marist or Stony Brook.

The arrangement with Georgetown shouldn't be the same. Georgetown would make for a good selling game up at Syracuse. Plus Georgetown is a little better and there is no need to give an advantage to Georgetown, home field-wise. SU just needs to clean up the ticket selling before entering into the agreement.

The only way we should play Georgetown is at the dome and MSG, we don't need to play them in DC. Schedule a series with Maryland, their going to need to play an East Coast team, or lose their entire fanbase.

Maryland can wither on a vine. Screw them.

SU should play St Johns away at MSG every year.

St. John's can lick my taint. They've leeched off of SU enough - ticket sales for their "home games" at MSG, plus TV money and tournament credits they've done nothing to earn.

Any game SU plays at MSG should be SU's event, not St. John's. We don't need them. We can play ANYONE there.

St. John's can lick my taint. They've leeched off of SU enough - ticket sales for their "home games" at MSG, plus TV money and tournament credits they've done nothing to earn.

Any game SU plays at MSG should be SU's event, not St. John's. We don't need them. We can play ANYONE there.
You can't play anyone at MSG and have it called an away game for SU. Most of the other schools we could play there would have it called a neutral game. Plus I would rather see SU-St Johns than SU-Marist or SU-Stony Brook.

Who cares if St Johns makes money off the move? Do you care that Cornell or Colgate make their budgets by being sacrificial lambs at the dome each season?

An SU=St Johns game at MSG would give SU an away game and MSG presence. This is great for the alumni and fans in the area and good for recruiting.

Maryland can wither on a vine. Screw them.

Do we have a new "F Maryland" meme for the board? Marsh is getting lonely as the voice of reason on the Uconn issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom