Thamel piece on potential NCAA changes | Syracusefan.com

Thamel piece on potential NCAA changes

This is a good piece, thanks for posting.

I've long thought that the "big 5" breaking away from the NCAA was problematic largely due to potential, and almost certain, Congressional intervention. You don't think my esteemed Senator Dick Blumenthal wouldn't raise holy hell if UConn was not just left behind in the AAC, but now the AAC itself is in an explicitly minor league NCAA with no access to the newly prominent Big 5 hoops tournament? It'd be a circus.

This Division 4 concept makes much sense. It's odd that little Sacred Heart University in my town has as much voting sway as Syracuse or Texas. These schools are simply operating on totally different planes of existence. Hell, the football and hoops schools of the Big East couldn't make it work ultimately, and that gap was narrower than Ohio State and, say, St. Francis.

This Division 4 concept makes much sense. It's odd that little Sacred Heart University in my town has as much voting sway as Syracuse or Texas. These schools are simply operating on totally different planes of existence. Hell, the football and hoops schools of the Big East couldn't make it work ultimately, and that gap was narrower than Ohio State and, say, St. Francis.
The argument about governance structure is somewhat disingenuous, as are all procedural arguments.

Why is there a need to give the bigger schools (with bigger budgets) more flexibility to make rules about how they govern themselves? Let's have specific examples of changes that have been blocked by the smaller schools, and of changes that the "bigs" want to make, but have not even tried to accomplish yet.

OK, so you guys want to govern yourselves? Why? What are you up to?

This is a good piece, thanks for posting.

I've long thought that the "big 5" breaking away from the NCAA was problematic largely due to potential, and almost certain, Congressional intervention. You don't think my esteemed Senator Dick Blumenthal wouldn't raise holy hell if UConn was not just left behind in the AAC, but now the AAC itself is in an explicitly minor league NCAA with no access to the newly prominent Big 5 hoops tournament? It'd be a circus.

He might raise holy hell but what about all the Senator's in the big boy college football states who probably even graduated from some of those schools? Would they care enough to intervene against their big State U's - and go against the majority of their own populace.

The argument about governance structure is somewhat disingenuous, as are all procedural arguments.

Why is there a need to give the bigger schools (with bigger budgets) more flexibility to make rules about how they govern themselves? Let's have specific examples of changes that have been blocked by the smaller schools, and of changes that the "bigs" want to make, but have not even tried to accomplish yet.

The stipend is the perfect example of a change that has been blocked by the smaller schools. Another was a suggested limit of positions within fb and basketball instead of a limit on coaches. I don't remember the exact numbers (but say for football it was 20), this would have allowed schools to have 1 HC and 19 assts, or 5 coaches and 15 ops/support staff. Smaller schools felt they would have been forced to add more coaching positions (higher salary costs)

He might raise holy hell but what about all the Senator's in the big boy college football states who probably even graduated from some of those schools? Would they care enough to intervene against their big State U's - and go against the majority of their own populace.

All you need is a few to make it a circus. I'm not suggesting anything would be accomplished, just that a mess would occur.

Because they want to. For years these guys have thought that since they make the most money they should get to make the rules, unfettered.

Because they want to. For years these guys have thought that since they make the most money they should get to make the rules, unfettered.
Right, so I want to know what they propose to do with their new powers. They wouldn't be clamoring for this if there wasn't something concrete they had in mind. Or a list of things. Whether or not these changes come about may be dependent on knowing what those changes are. It's not solely about governance, it's about what they plan to do with it.

Am I on the only one that cannot take Thamel seriously because he looks too much like Peter Brady?

pete_thamel.jpg
images

Right, so I want to know what they propose to do with their new powers. They wouldn't be clamoring for this if there wasn't something concrete they had in mind. Or a list of things. Whether or not these changes come about may be dependent on knowing what those changes are. It's not solely about governance, it's about what they plan to do with it.

In this country, you gotta make the money first.

Then when you get the money, you get the power.

Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

In this country, you gotta make the money first.

Then when you get the money, you get the power.

Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

So Montana is joining the PAC13?

On SEC's Slive: He's linked many of his comments to the "welfare of student athletes," a sly tactic that makes this look altruistic.
------------------------------------

Exactly right. This isn't about the athletes.

I drink every time my alma mater is mentioned on this board.

Sacred Heart University, Sacred Heart University, Sacred Heart University, Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart University, Sacred Heart University, Sacred Heart University, Sacred Heart University

Get to drinkin...

Get to drinkin...
It's 5 o'clock somewhere...