Class of 2014 - Thank You AJ Long | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Thank You AJ Long

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
For starting this culture of players/commits helping recruit other prospects.

I'm sure other recruits and players have done it before him, but AJ has really started something special here and has definitely been instrumental in the 2015 class and is helping with the 2016 class.

It will be interesting where AJ fits in this offense going forward. I know he's considered the backup going in this year, but what happens next year with the two QB's we brought in this year (both look just as mobile or even more than AJ) and if/when we pick up Brown or the off-chance we reel in Haskins. He's so die-hard Orange, I can't see him transferring, but I also am hard-pressed to believe that he is the QB of the future at this point.

It will be interesting where AJ fits in this offense going forward. I know he's considered the backup going in this year, but what happens next year with the two QB's we brought in this year (both look just as mobile or even more than AJ) and if/when we pick up Brown or the off-chance we reel in Haskins. He's so die-hard Orange, I can't see him transferring, but I also am hard-pressed to believe that he is the QB of the future at this point.
He played some safety in high school, perhaps have him move over to the other side of the ball? Lord knows how short handed our secondary is...

I thought he was redshirting this year

I thought he was redshirting this year

That's the expectation, but it was also hinted at that if Hunt goes down again, he would probably be next man up. I'm looking at it as the same situation as last year.

If there's one kid I wouldn't write off, it would be AJ.

Not to mention, we've seen this movie before with new QBs being the next great thing. Post-McNabb, very few of them have panned out. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not to mention, we've seen this movie before with new QBs being the next great thing. Post-McNabb, very few of them have panned out. I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope you're right because I'm rooting for him.

Very few?

One - Nassib his senior year - panned out. The rest were extremely mediocre to bad.

Very few?

One - Nassib his senior year - panned out. The rest were extremely mediocre to bad.

That's fair. I'd say that since 1999 [post-McNabb], we've only had a handful of seasons where we've arguably even had mediocre play. And I'm well aware that a few of these years could easily be argued. RJ Anderson's senior year he was decent / adequate. Paulus was decent in his lone year [although the numbers are inflated compared to historical benchmarks, given that we threw a lot more than previous years]. Nassib is clearly the best of the bunch, and had a much better senior year than the preceding three.

That's it. Across 15 years. One good season, and a couple of mediocre seasons.

Perry Patterson for Heisman

That's fair. I'd say that since 1999 [post-McNabb], we've only had a handful of seasons where we've arguably even had mediocre play. And I'm well aware that a few of these years could easily be argued. RJ Anderson's senior year he was decent / adequate. Paulus was decent in his lone year [although the numbers are inflated compared to historical benchmarks, given that we threw a lot more than previous years]. Nassib is clearly the best of the bunch, and had a much better senior year than the preceding three.

And going by national averages, as Millhouse could probably attest better than most, we are being very generous when we give "mediocre/adequate" grades to some of those years.

The skill players around the QB's have been a step below the McNabb years, but I'd argue as a whole the defense has actually been better over the last 6-7 years than at any time during the McNabb years. We always had individual talent on D, but never had the scheme/team in place that we have had since Shafer took over.

And going by national averages, as Millhouse could probably attest better than most, we are being very generous when we give "mediocre/adequate" grades to some of those years.

The skill players around the QB's have been a step below the McNabb years, but I'd argue as a whole the defense has actually been better over the last 6-7 years than at any time during the McNabb years. We always had individual talent on D, but never had the scheme/team in place that we have had since Shafer took over.

No question about the D.

SUFan44 said:
And going by national averages, as Millhouse could probably attest better than most, we are being very generous when we give "mediocre/adequate" grades to some of those years. The skill players around the QB's have been a step below the McNabb years, but I'd argue as a whole the defense has actually been better over the last 6-7 years than at any time during the McNabb years. We always had individual talent on D, but never had the scheme/team in place that we have had since Shafer took over.

Yep. If we can be top 40 on O to go with a nasty D, that's our path to relevance. If we strike gold with a QB? Skies the limit.

Hey, don't forget Andrew Robinson. That kid had skills. For one game.

Nassib's sophomore year wasn't bad at all and his junior year was very good. That makes three years of effective QB performance in a row (2010-2012).

Hey, don't forget Andrew Robinson. That kid had skills. For one game.
I always though Robinson was a better quarterback than he had a chance to show. Man he used to get hammered and beat up every game.