That's the formula to beat UVA for us | Syracusefan.com

That's the formula to beat UVA for us

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
Spread it out, create double gaps for dribble-drive opportunities. Battle and Gillon FEASTED on UVAs slow foot speed individually defensively. Battle was special, as was White. Smart of Boeheim- Bennett can do nothing coaching wise about his players getting beat off of straight line drives. NO DEFENSE can over come straight line drives and that half proved it.

Spread it out, create double gaps for dribble-drive opportunities. Battle and Gillon FEASTED on UVAs slow foot speed individually defensively. Battle was special, as was White. Smart of Boeheim- Bennett can do nothing coaching wise about his players getting beat off of straight line drives. NO DEFENSE can over come straight line drives and that half proved it.

Yup. Gotta dribble drive against the Pack Line. First time I've agreed with you all year lol. Need to can the PNR from the start against them going forward.

You cant let them do their pack line defense. You either have to spread them out or run iso . I remember in elite 8 during comeback we ran clear out iso for G and esp Mal

JB - on 2nd half. Paraphrasing said no point in trying to run offense bc they're so good, best in the country, we decided to just isolate them and drive to the basket.

JB - on 2nd half. Paraphrasing said no point in trying to run offense bc they're so good, best in the country, we decided to just isolate them and drive to the basket.
This is what i dint understand, this is more or less exactly what went down in elite 8, ie same adjustment. So why didnt we start out that way in this game? But JB knows what hes doing and we won so all is good!

They hedge so hard, have to make them pay. Always have to move forward aggressively.
We have to look to start doing a short roll against teams that blitz or hard hedge. Warriors feast on teams who do that with steph. Just hit the roller real quick on a short roll and you have a 4-on-3 advantage

We have to look to start doing a short roll against teams that blitz or hard hedge. Warriors feast on teams who do that with steph. Just hit the roller real quick on a short roll and you have a 4-on-3 advantage

Yeah, the pick and pop is not as good a strategy against this type of D.

Last edited:
Tyus Battle is one of the best freshman in the country and, especially, one of the best off the dribble.

That's why recruiting is so important. Virginia, for as good as they are, doesn't have a guy like that and when you can isolate talent vs talent, it shows.
Thats what imo was so frustrating in the first half: to me the talent looked equal but their kids were just executing their system much better. Thank goodness we got them out of their "system" a little bit in 2nd half

Yeah, the pick and pop is not as good a strategy against this type of D.
Yep. Best way to prevent pick and pop is to be attached to the offensive player setting the ball screen. UVA basically always is. Pick and pop is effective verse drop or "coral" coverage

Question is can Hop make this kind of adjustment during a game? He didn't show that in his trial run.
This is not a knock on Hop, just shows how even coaching is a team effort: regarding the switch to iso ball in 2nd half, i believe JB said it was JMac and Reds idea. Didnt hear him give credit to Hop for the adjustment but maybe i heard him wrong

maybe we should make some wide open shots in the first half so we dont get down 10+. Virginia's D is masking some avg play on the offensive end by them.

and thats for all the Zone Haters.. Zone stops all that we did in the 2nd half too but Bennett never switched out of the team thats considered the top D in the country by many.

We tried that a few times and couldn't get the pass over the double team. Frank got his attempt stolen and that landed him back on the bench.

However, if we can figure out a way to make that work, I totally agree that's the way to beat them.

Tyus Battle is one of the best freshman in the country and, especially, one of the best off the dribble.

That's why recruiting is so important. Virginia, for as good as they are, doesn't have a guy like that and when you can isolate talent vs talent, it shows.

He doesnt remind me of Chris Paul though(I'm guessing only those who watched last game on ESPN3 will get this?). Or Ron Paul. Or Ru Paul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom