The 12th Man | Syracusefan.com

The 12th Man

StillJimPA

Walk On
As discussed many times having a large student section at games is critically important for several reasons. Spirit, support, and noise are among them as well as having a funtime by being there.

Then fact is, in any stadium, total crowd noise and spirit can effect the outcome in tangible ways. This is especially true in the Dome. It is a game time weapon for the home team.

It seems there are good efforts by many, including students on this board, to generate more interest in SU FB.

Let there be no doubt winning helps more than anything other factor.

If more students can attend games than in recent years they should officially be known as " The 12th Man". Give that name to the student section, sell hats, t shirts, etc with that name.

It is not an original idea I know. I think Army uses it and I know it has worked well for the Ravens to make the fans feel, rightfully, they are making a tangible contribution to the game.

Let's find a way to make the students, and all fans feel , again rightfully, a genuine part of the rebirth of winning ways for SU FB.

I actually think A&M has the 12th Man trademarked.

I'm not kidding

The loud house is enough for me... Bring back the loud house...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, good idea. But TAMU's all over that.

Must be some other way to make the students feel that the game is a participatory event for them, though.

There also needs to be some incentive to be there by 11:30. Obviously, the game starting is not enough.

I like the Ottos army thing, its fairly unique and something that would group fans together as bieng more than just another fan. Just need to recruit a few hundred more.

I actually think A&M has the 12th Man trademarked.

I'm not kidding

They may have a little lawsuit against the Seattle Seahawks then.

Ours should be the 11.5th man. No one has that trademarked and it's probably more appropriate given our 50% rate of filling capacity.

Ours should be the 11.5th man. No one has that trademarked and it's probably more appropriate given our 50% rate of filling capacity.

Ha! The crowd in generally could be called 'The Old Man' since most of it seems to be north of 45-50, still sporting mustaches, generally happy to be parked in their seats with a beer, and too preoccupied with beating traffic to worry much about beating Rutgers.

You could also make a case for most of the dome being referred to as the "Show Me Section" -- as in "throw a 60-yard bomb and I'll cheer. Otherwise I'm just cool to hang out.

Ha! The crowd in generally could be called 'The Old Man' since most of it seems to be north of 45-50, still sporting mustaches, generally happy to be parked in their seats with a beer, and too preoccupied with beating traffic to worry much about beating Rutgers.

You could also make a case for most of the dome being referred to as the "Show Me Section" -- as in "throw a 60-yard bomb and I'll cheer. Otherwise I'm just cool to hang out.

I think you're onto something. This is how we should label our sections and seat people accordingly. Like the O Zone idea. I think it's can't miss. Definitely have to have one sign that says run run pass punt with a ghostbusters sign through it.

I think you're onto something. This is how we should label our sections and seat people accordingly. Like the O Zone idea. I think it's can't miss. Definitely have to have one sign that says run run pass punt with a ghostbusters sign through it.

You'd never see Go or OrangePA sitting in the "no run-run-pass-punt" section. I guess this could backfire, however. Like when I kept going to games and buying tix in the section next to the student section called the "Creepy Leering Married Guy." It might give people the wrong idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom