The 5 headed ACC Monster | Syracusefan.com

The 5 headed ACC Monster

Geode

Block Head
First, thanks for the insights you all provide on this board. I personally have learned a ton about the game just through reading here. My lax experience (outside of watching a lot) is negligible, I volunteer coached my son when he was 7 and played one summer box lacrosse game in HS ("because your a fast guy, we'll keep you on the outside", they said, it'll be fun...I ended up up over the boards in the opposing teams bench).

However, I'm curious to know your thoughts after the 1st weekend of serious play.

• UNC - Made Denver look silly for 3 quarters with a really balanced attack and some solid defense.
  • Duke - 2-0 Duke is looking a little better (but still some ugly play) than their traditional slow start and you cannot discount the Sowers factor.
  • UVA - Absolutely destroyed a Towson team that was 0-6 last year but weren't even playing their full compliment. They looked extremely deep and balanced as well.

No Orange, no Irish last weekend. The Orange have 2 more weeks before Army comes to town and the Irish have almost 3 weeks before they open. Does the late start help or hurt?

Does the ACC cannibalize each other this year or do you think there is a clear favorite? We've seen the polls, nationally Duke is favored, ACC coaches maybe stuck with an unwritten nod to last season and gave the Orange the nod but it seems like all 5 have very realistic expectations to play Memorial Day weekend. Curious on your thoughts here?

Only team on my mind right now is UNC. Very reminiscent of Penn State in 2019. They have the crazy depth on offense like they did, one guy running things who could be the greatest offensive player in then nation (Gray), experience, and this way of doing an all out blitz that completely demoralizes opponents.

On top of that I thought their team D and short stick defense both looked above average, but maybe now is not the right time to judge a Denver game. Duke and UVAs D both seemed to be less effective. To make matters worse UNC’s freshman goalie looked incredible. Basically I’m just a little scared and hoping some weaknesses reveal themselves soon.

Lots of offense (and I still think Syracuse has the best one)...should be a high scoring super fun year.

I think it is too early to draw many conclusions. But, right now Denver is not a top 10 team. I have watched all 3 of their games (mostly because Syracuse plays the same 3 teams) and they are slow on offense. Even against Utah they could not consistently beat their man off the dodge and draw a slide. This was even more evident against Duke and UNC. The Tarheels have the same offensive players as last year, so everyone knows their roles and teammates tendencies. Again, it's early, but Duke did not look as good as UNC. Bobby Mo gave Duke all they could handle for 3+ quarters until Duke's depth prevailed. The biggest takeaway for me this weekend is that Denver isn't the best team in the Big East, Georgetown is.

I've never seen a team so dialed in for an early February season opener as UNC was against Denver this weekend. You could have told me that was a Final Four team in May and I'd have believed you. They were solid in every phase of the game and unstoppable on offense. It's terrifying to consider that they might actually get better over the course of the season.

In hindsight, however, I think we will realize Denver was playing on tired legs. Credit UNC for being prepared, but they pounced on a lethargic opponent.

The conventional wisdom for the ACC should probably be tossed out. With the caveat that I think ND's offensive firepower can't match the others, these 5 teams really could finish in any order. None should be clear favorites/underdogs to the others until we get more clarity.

If Denver were in the ACC, it would finish sixth this year. They have some nice players, but they just don’t have the athleticism and speed that the ACC has. They simply couldn’t draw a slide or really get the defense to move at all.

I don’t know that I buy the tired legs thing, though. These are 18-22 year olds in fantastic condition. Denver even has the advantage of training at altitude. High school teams play three times a week without trouble.

Carolina looked incredible, no doubt, but it’ll be interesting to see if they can shoot like that for the rest of the season. They simply couldn’t miss. It defied reason.

Duke was not even close to the juggernaut they were predicted to be, but it’s February and Duke always starts slowly. So I don’t think we can really make any judgments yet. O’Neill was trying to do way too much against Bobby Mo and made himself a non-factor. I’m sure that’ll get straightened out. Sowers hasn’t been lighting the world on fire either. I thought the announcers made an interesting point about him now playing on hard grass vs. field turf. The one time he showed that great shake he has, the defender didn’t fall for it and a slide came so quickly that Sowers had to retreat toward the wing.

Virginia showed its offensive depth. I think we were a little quick to judge Shellenberger. Moore didn’t even play and Aitken was limited. But, like Duke, you can only play six guys on offense at a time.

Cuse better have an answer for the 10-man ride, though. Carolina and Virginia both employed suffocating rides.

Last edited:
What struck me about the 3 acc teams that weekend was the sheer numbers of talents that they can throw at you besides their lead stars . Wave after wave that will tire.

UNC was downright scary, some caveats to consider but they did same to Denver before season closed and these Heels are now even deeper and more experienced . Heard of Mc Carthy but never heard of OcConnel or Kreig. Watching latter reminded me of Happy learned how to put uh oh. Gray brought a explosive dimension to that squad which will be hard to contain for anyone D but at least Cuse is more atheletic and quicker than most teams.

Dont know if UVA's open and fast pace is the reason but their new additions looked to fit in seamlessly. Army game will tell more but they look to be back to 2019 form. Scary and gonna get scarier when star Moore returns. Shellenberger showed all the makings of another star and Betrand gonna be a handful to go along with Cormier, Aiken and others. Again, wave after wave and really no one to short pole.

First halves show that Duke is still a work in progress but all aware of excess of talent. A couple of questions remain but really are no holes to speak of but at least we'll can say goalie, d and fogo at the moment . Last the moment . They have showed that they can initiate up top and you know Sowers will eventiually be fully integrated below. Some comfort seeing that they are beatable but discomfort knowing it be by other super teams in acc

ND O wont be a potent as UNC, UVA or Duke on offense but they did add players that will strengthen and lend balance to that end Gallagher will give them more possessions. Likely a tier below the other three but wouldn't discount them in any game. Wont say more until they are actually seen.

Much too early but UNC, UVA and Duke have all shown that they are not only legit FF candidates but each is capable of winning it all.

Cuse? Previously said that our opportunities to wear crown may have been better last year and it's not because team got weaker, it just that a few others got stronger in offseason. I do view Cuse as one of the truer teams and that can go a long way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom