The 5 seeds. | Syracusefan.com

The 5 seeds.

heresjohnny88

2nd String
If someone told you at 5:59 yesterday that we'd be a 4 seed, and then listed all the 5 seeds, which would you want?

My order of preference would be:

1) Wisconsin
2) UNLV
3) OK St
4) VCU

If someone told you at 5:59 yesterday that we'd be a 4 seed, and then listed all the 5 seeds, which would you want?

1) Wisconsin
2) UNLV
3) OK St
4) VCU

To play?

UNLV
The rest

Wisconsin would terrify me this season. We barely escaped them last year and we could score last season. Okie St has a potential top 3 pick and VCU would drive me crazy.

We got the right 5 seed.

To play?

UNLV
The rest

Wisconsin would terrify me this season. We barely escaped them last year and we could score last season. Okie St has a potential top 3 pick and VCU would drive me crazy.

We got the right 5 seed.

no doubt, plus unlv-cal is a tossup for me. that will be a close game.

1) Wisconsin
2) UNLV
3) OK St
4) VCU

UNLV no question. Wisconsin always scares me with the slow down crap. OK. State is a very good team and I guy named Smart ... already dealt with one too many of them in the NCAA Tourney. VCU has too much cinderella attached to them like when we played Butler a couple years ago.

1) UNLV
2) VCU
3) OKST
4) WISC

Wisconsin has beaten (1)Indiana x 2, (2)OSU, (4)Michigan x 2, (7)Illinois x 2, (11)Minnesota, (12) Cal

They've lost to (2)OSU x 2, (3)MSU x 2, (3)Florida, (3)Marquette, (7) Creighton, (11)Minnesota

I know we pulled it out against them last year but I didn't want any part of them this year.

They're all essentially pick-em games. I think OSU is most likely to throw up a stinker but have one guy pull a Porter, WIS is most likely to play a masterpiece, UNLV most likely to crush us on the boards, and VCU most likely to give the guards fits.

Pick your poison really.

They're all essentially pick-em games. I think OSU is most likely to throw up a stinker but have one guy pull a Porter, WIS is most likely to play a masterpiece, UNLV most likely to crush us on the boards, and VCU most likely to give the guards fits.

Pick your poison really.

Why I think UNLV is a good matchup is that they dont shoot it well from three point range (I believe they are in the neighborhood of 225-230 nationally).

Pick your poison really.

My uncle is an OSU grad with strong ties to the program. I've watched them play several times this season, and they've had some roller coaster games. Not sure how much of that has to do with the Big 12 being more "average" than usual this year versus the cowboys being strong. But they have a quality point guard [Smart] and a knack for winning close games. And they play that scrappy / physical style that gives us trouble.

If you liked the advanced stats (hint, I do) UNLV is clearly the worst of the 5 seeds

The 5 seeds are like this for us.
1. UNLV- They have Anthony Bennett, and Kherm Birch but they struggle to score at times.
Little Gap to
2. Oklahoma State- Smart is a top 5 NBA draft pick, but our zone would matchup with their athleticism, but Travis Ford beat us twice when he was at UMASS.

HUGE GAP

3. Wisconsin- the Buzzcuts would be patient and pass the ball at will against our zone and their shooters would score. I don't think we would score 50 points on them on offense terrible matchup.
4. VCU- VCU's ball pressure is the closest in the country to Louisville. You saw what the UL press did to us, I wanted nothing to do with Rams and am glad they are away from us.

If JB was given a choice of the 4 5 seeds before the brackets were announced he would have passed on VCU or Wisconsin and honestly probably picked UNLV because Smart's talent could take over a game a la Dion Waiters with a better jumper.

I think Wisconsin is good, but they better not sleep on Ole Miss. If Marshall Henderson plays smart like he did this weekend and gets his team mates involved, they can hang with Wisconsin.

To play?

UNLV
The rest

We got the right 5 seed.

This definitely. Our halfcourt offense was nearly flawless vs Wiscy in that game last year and they needed to be. Awful match-up.
Ok St. no thanks.
Don't think I'd be as scared of VCU as some are but UNLV would be my 1st choice for sure.

Call me crazy, but I didn't pick any 5/12 upsets this year...

However, I picked a few 4/13 upsets. Boise St. over Kansas St, and New Mexico St. over St. Louis.

Berggren would absolutely kill us the way Gardner did. Worse. They will lock up Henderson.

Marshall Henderson is hilarious. Every time he does some weird celebration, they should cut right to Bo Ryan, who will be completely dumbfounded trying to decipher Henderson's antics.

As someone from Richmond and follows VCU essentially almost as a second team, I don't want Syracuse meeting them. The full court press they run could really give us a lot of trouble and then you add in a shooter, Troy Daniels, at the point who can kill a team from behind the arc, it could possibly spell trouble for us. They're one of the few teams who could run an up-tempo game against us and be successful, Louisville being one of the others. Shaka Smart is a hell of a coach too, I don't like the match-up. He gets those kids to buy in and play at a high level with a lot of intensity and if the Louisville BET game or the other two Georgetown games are any indication, MCW and Triche don't fair too well with that kind of defensive intensity.

I'm not afraid of Wisconsin, I just hate watching them due to how bored I get when seeing them play. I think we would beat them fairly decently actually. The only entertainment value they have is Bo Ryan being a though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom