The Adrian Autry Show - before Wake Forest | Syracusefan.com

The Adrian Autry Show - before Wake Forest

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, if Bobby Knight’s team had given up 14 points in a row at the end of the half, he would have vented rage. Knute Rockne would have given an inspirational speech. Bill Walsh would have conducted a blackboard session. What does Coach Adrian Autry do?”

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, when the team followed up the 0-14 run by opening the half with an 0-7 run, how did you get things turned around while the game was in progress?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Tonight’s episode became a game of “dunk the coach” and He held up admirably, retaining his class and good humor.

Matt noted that this was “a two road game week”. Coach Autry: “You play the games and prepare for the next one and have a short memory.” (The team flew back from Boston today and will fly to Wake Forest tomorrow.) The fan’s memories proved longer, if a bit faulty, according to the coach. “Winning on the road is a challenge in any league but it’s really a challenge in our league. That’s what makes it a great league.”

In the NC State game, “we played our best defense all year. Towards the end, we let them get easier shots.” Matt pointed out that BC had rallied at the end of the first game, then had that 0-14 run at the end of the first half in this week’s game. AA: “That game was about what we didn’t do. We had an open three with 6 minutes left. We can’t give them 80 points. We turned them over 21 times but we didn’t locate the shooters.”

Matt said that “we are in a very congested middle of the pack. Wake Forest, (Saturday’s opponent), lost to Pitt last night.”

I called in my first question. AA: “I’m in between I wouldn’t say inspirational, more blackboard. JJ had that tumble. Judah got that second foul. We had opportunities. I just had a feeling that we’d turn it around It’s a game of runs. I was disappointed with the way we started the second half but we came back.” Again, Matt picked up the thread and suggested “How you answer these situations is a personal choice.” AA: You now your team and what they respond to curve your message. The Colgate comeback was more Bobby Knight. We’ve had ups and downs and some tough times but we live together, work together and play together. People don’t see these things….There are no moral victories. You look for progress. This was the first conference game where we made a big comeback and battled to the end. That’s a sign.” Matt: “It’s probably understated how detrimental a missed shot can be. Not only do you not get the points but the other team can score off of it.” We’re talking about shot selection. You know your team. You know what’s good shot selection for your team.”

John in Liverpool asked if a tip in was both a rebound and two points scored. Coach Autry and Matt agreed that it was.

In Carrabba’s, Sandy asked about next year’s recruiting. AA: “college basketball is fluid. We have a couple high school recruits coming in. You hope players come back. You just never know. People have a lot of opportunities and not a lot of patience. I’m hopeful we’ll have a decent roster but you just never know.” [That’s not a very encouraging statement.] Matt, trying to sound more upbeat, said that Donnie Freeman is a McDonald’s all-American, the first one we’ve recruited out of high school since Malachi Richardson 9 years ago. JJ Starling was one, too but went to Notre Dame before transferring here. Coach Autry was one back in his day, as well.

George in Syracuse wanted to know why Mounir Hima and Maliq Brown weren’t in the game together. He asserted that Maliq is really a power forward. {He also didn’t know that Hima, who has neve started, is injured). AA: “I don’t worry too much about the numbered positions You’ve got to put your best group in there together.” [But not necessarily in the starting line-up.] “We played Marek at the 5. Maliq can guard 1-5. His best position is in the small ball line-up. He’s developing faster at the 5. What group works together?”

Matt: “How sore a subject is free throws?” AA: Until the last few games, free throws have helped us. If we’d made our free throws, we’d have had a huge win over NC State and the Florida State game would have been totally different.” Matt noted that BC is 75% as a team from the line. “That’s all you can ask for.

Then ‘Toucy’ (Toocee’?) from DC called. He had made notes and declared that Coach Autry had made three mistakes that cost us the game. “When it was 28-23 Judah got his second foul and he signaled to you not to worry about it but you pulled him out. With him, Copeland and Maliq on the bench, BC got their 0-14 run. The starting line-up was back for the second half but Copeland is the better point guard. He’s pass first and awesome. He went to high school down here and was unbelievable: led us to the state championship. He was unstoppable, taking the tam from 30-44 to 53-55 and then 59-62 but BC hit a three and you should have called time out.”

AA: “Thank you for that. You left out a couple of things: two wide open threes that we missed. I had to burn a couple of time outs early. I appreciate the feedback but you’ve got to tell the whole story. You do what you think is best. You use your time outs as you see fit. I thought we could come back and, for the most part, we did. The game came down to getting stops and we gave up 80 points.” Matt: “Hindsight…”

Matt asked if two fouls in the first half was an automatic benching for Coach Autry. AA: “No. I felt I knew my player and he, (Judah), was pressing and the other team was trying to get a third foul on him. You have to think: Can I get away with putting him on someone else?” Matt said that KenPom has a stat for this.” [Doesn’t he have a stat for everything?] “They keep track of the number of minutes players play in the first half with two fouls. The most conservative coaches were Rick Pitino of St. John’s and Fred Hoiberg of Nebraska. Adrain Autry close to the other end of the scale. Jim Boeheim was also noted for not automatically pulling players.”

Frank in Sohn Lake, (sp?) wanted to know why we don’t use picks and screens as “like we used to”. AA: It depends on the defense, who we’re screening for and who is in to screen. It’s not one of our strengths right now.” [He may have meant that shooting is not one of our strengths.] “But we score enough to win, 73 points a game.” (75.4 to 72.4). “Our problem is defense.”

Michael in Manlius gave a “shut out to the glue guys. Judah Mintz is a glue guy.” [Sometimes he seems like an unglued guy.] “This isn’t a pro town. These are college kids.”

Martin in Manlius said that “Wake Forest will make a good quad win. What are our chances?” AA: “If we execute and give ourselves a chance for victory, that’s you can ask..” {You could ask to make 75% of your free throws.] “they are one of the hottest teams in the league that people won’t really talk about, much like Florida State. They just got back Damari Monsanto, an excellent outside shooter.”

Matt went over the recent ACC results. UNC got their first conference loss, at Georgia Tech, 73-74. Louisville gave Clemson a good battled before losing 64-70, (Joe managed 13 points but was only 3 for 12 from the field). Virginia beat Notre Dame to gain a season split. Pitt came back from a 10 point halftime deficit to beat Wake.

Dustin in Baldwinsville wondered how JJ Starling has improved so much in recent games. AA: “It’s confidence and his work ethic.” What was Coach’s first memory of the Dome? “I walked into it and knew I wanted to play here.” What’s his favorite part of this year so far? “Just coaching every day.”

His answer to my “Twitch Question about changing the momentum as the game progressed was “The guys buckled down and started playing defense. They didn’t play harder but they were more focused and aggressive. I also asked what difference it makes for a player to get his third foul late in the first half or early in the second half? AA: “Both impact the game. It depends on who has two fouls, how the game is being called and who you can put them on, somewhere to avoid fouls.”

It's 'Tucci' and he's going at it with Paulie on orange Nation right now, (12:15PM):

They played Tucci's call at 12:42PM.

Last edited:
Red, seriously?
I think he's just saying that he expects more than a little roster turnover. I wonder if the coaching staff has decided who they are (and aren't?) going to fight to retain.

I think he's just saying that he expects more than a little roster turnover. I wonder if the coaching staff has decided who they are (and aren't?) going to fight to retain.
Whether that’s true or not he needs to project confidence that he can get this thing fixed. This isn’t year 1 of fanbase frustration. Red inherited 9 years of this in addition to this year. He doesn’t have the luxury of time.

Whether that’s true or not he needs to project confidence that he can get this thing fixed. This isn’t year 1 of fanbase frustration. Red inherited 9 years of this in addition to this year. He doesn’t have the luxury of time.

he doesn't have another 9 years for sure but we aren't about to fire him now. But having a bunch of players leave from a team of nothing but underclassmen would not be a good thing.

he doesn't have another 9 years for sure but we aren't about to fire him now. But having a bunch of players leave from a team of nothing but underclassmen would not be a good thing.
Fran Brown would see opportunity. Would you rather be stuck with this roster?

Fran Brown would see opportunity. Would you rather be stuck with this roster?

There's a number of players on this roster I'd rather keep here. Remember we're watching sophomores play against juniors and seniors in a lot of cases.

There's a number of players on this roster I'd rather keep here. Remember we're watching sophomores play against juniors and seniors in a lot of cases.
we don’t have a youth problem. We have a talent problem.

we don’t have a youth problem. We have a talent problem.

JJ is a McDonald's All-American. Judah and Benny were top 50 guys. Maliq and Quadir have plenty of talent. Chris Bell is our best dunker and I saw him back a guy down off the dribble and hit a turn around jumper and hold his ground against a buy trying to bully him on the baseline, block the shot an start the fast break, all in the NC State game. Chance Westry was a top recruit. Donnie Freeman is a Mickey Dee and Elijah Moore is supposed to be a fine shooter.

JJ is a McDonald's All-American. Judah and Benny were top 50 guys. Maliq and Quadir have plenty of talent. Chris Bell is our best dunker and I saw him back a guy down off the dribble and hit a turn around jumper and hold his ground against a buy trying to bully him on the baseline, block the shot an start the fast break, all in the NC State game. Chance Westry was a top recruit. Donnie Freeman is a Mickey Dee and Elijah Moore is supposed to be a fine shooter.
Rankings mean nothing the second you leave high school.

Then why bother recruiting highly ranked players?
I’m just saying that we’ve seen what these guys can do on the court, who cares that they were highly ranked, at some point you have to realize they are likely as good as they’re going to be and that’s not good enough. You increase your odds of success recruiting highly ranked guys, but once they bust you need to move on.

I’m just saying that we’ve seen what these guys can do on the court, who cares that they were highly ranked, at some point you have to realize they are likely as good as they’re going to be and that’s not good enough. You increase your odds of success recruiting highly ranked guys, but once they bust you need to move on.
Pretty much what I was going to say when I saw SWC post. At some point, you have a large enough sample size to evaluate them based on what they've done in college. Same thing if you're on an academic scholarship. What you did in high school eventually becomes irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom