The Adrian Autry Show (with GMAC) before Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Adrian Autry Show (with GMAC) before Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, everybody is talking about the fact that Chris Bell scored 26 points in the first half and none in the second. How much of that was Chris Bell’s fault. How much of it was his teammate’s fault, how much was Adrian Autry’s fault and how much was NC State’s fault?”

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, does Justin Taylor have a mental block on shooting right now, similar to a baseball player who suddenly cannot throw the ball accurately to a target?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Gerry McNamara, filling in for Coach Autry, who had “family issues”, (matt offered his thoughts and prayers), said “I used to have a show like this. I guess the ratings weren’t goo enough.”

Matt said that the rips to Georgia tech and NC State were “a tough road test”. GMAC said that, after Hawaii, “we’ve done a pretty good job of coming back from a loss. We have to get momentum and have a winning streak.” He said of the 25 threes we attempted against Tech, four of which we made, “there were about 18 that were wide open.” Like JB used to say: you have to make shots. When we did against NC State, we won. We didn’t against Georgia Tech and we lost.

Two callers were already ahead of me when I called in, which is unusual. I was concerned that they might ask my question. I needn’t have worried. Chris in Syracuse thinks Copeland is fun to watch. He wanted to know what it was like to be around him and coach him and what his upside was. GMAC: “Every day is a new adventure. His size, strength and creativity gives him an ‘it’ factor. There’s also his competitiveness. He’s ‘Philly Tough’. He loves to play but winning trumps everything. He has a high ceiling. He’s got great form on that jumper. He needs to be more consistent. If he ever starts throwing darts from the outside…”

Terry in Syracuse had a bad connection and seemed unable to create an actually question. It had something to do with how great things were in the 80’s and 90’s and what the relationship with the fans was like. Matt, as he often does, scooped up the ball and ran with it, asking Gerry how important fan support is. Gerry quoted Jim Boeheim “People who say negative things post their views while people with positive things to say don’t bother.” He went on to say that there are a lot of exciting things happening: the upgrades to the Dome and the coaching changes. “Perennial powerhouses compete for league and national championships.” Matt said that a lot of people should be at Saturday’s game, due to the Jim Boeheim ceremony. Gerry: “We’ll need people to come Tuesday, too. This ain’t over.” Matt said that “There hasn’t been one game that clinched a post season berth or eliminated us from one.”

I called in my main question and GMAC went into full blackboard mode. “In the first half the ball was humming. We sent two to the basket and used the short roll. Maliq made two of the best passes I have ever seen and got him a shot on the pin down. We had a special press break and Cuffe got him the ball. We tried 2-3 different ties to get him shots in the second half. It opened up our drives. We held onto the ball and it eliminated opportunities. We needed to get the ball out of our hands faster. We missed 3-4 times. It was not always Chris – it could have been Maliq. They did a good job of blowing it up.” It sounds like GMAC wasn’t too pleased when Judah brought the ball up slowly when there was an opportunity to beat the defense down court.

Matt: “Everything is interconnected.” He said that Gerry was one of three SU players to hit 9 threes in a game, along with James Southerland and Andy Rautins. They were not as hot as Chris Bell was.” GMAC: I’ve worked and played with great shooters. He’s up there. To get 8 straight is really hard. We’re a different team when we are hitting threes. It allows us to move more freely. You can see what happened at Georgia Tech.” Matt brought up the Draymond Green tweet. GMAC: “Everybdy’s made a little bigger deal of it than they should. Our overall strength is the dribble drive.”

He added that Maliq should be named the ACC defensive player of the year. Matt noted that he has 50 steals and 25 blocks. GMA: “Whatever he does offensively is without demanding the ball.”

Matt noted that Judah Mintz had reached 1,000 points as a sophomore, something GMAC also did. Judah was the 7th fastest to that mark. GMAC: “He’s a special talent. I wish they would put fouls drawn in the box scores.” [So do I.] “He’s had multiple double-digit games, including 13 in the first NC State game. He’s decisive and doesn’t contort his body.” [He doesn’t?) “He’s in complete control.” [He is?] “He’s still evolving, making others around him better.” Matt said that he was averaging 7.1 fouls drawn per 40 minutes. The only player with more is Zach Edey. “GMAC – you’ll find most of those guys are big men.”

They did their “around the ACC segment. Virginia Tech dismantled Virginia, 75-41. It was 36-16 at halftime. “Virginia just couldn’t’ score”. [They sure were hot against us.] “They can beat anybody in the league.” Notre Dame beat Tech 74-66 and have now won three in a row. “They don’t get enough credit for their defense. They are a physical team. Their bigs are not productive on offense but they have size. Their team responded to a public blast, similar to when Red called out team out after the Wake Forest game.” Duke blasted Miami 84-55, Clemson handled Georgia Tech 81-57 and Wake Forest crushed Pitt, 91-58. “Their backcourt is the only one out-scoring ours and no one in the league has their size. People are under-rating our conference.”

Michael from Manlius Said that a few years ago, SU was in the tourney and it was controversial that they were there and Matt said something about it he thought was clever. Matt was unable to remember what he had said.

They discussed rebounding. “We’ve got to do a better job of protecting the 12 foot area, chest to chest. Playing a zone makes us more susceptible to offensive rebounds, especially if the guards don’t get back or Maliq coming out. On the flip side, we are first in the league in forcing turnovers. We’ve had four straight games with double digit steals.”

Rich in Syracuse was in the restaurant and asked what the upside and downside of coming up to challenge a rolling ball at the end of a game would be. “We’ve tried to go up and scramble them. Coach, (meaning JB), didn’t like removing a player form his zone defense but it’s different in man-to-man. I’m in favor of starting the clock a little quicker.”

Dave wanted to know why the refs call more fouls on us than the other team. GMAC: “We’ll have to get together and share a glass of win sometime, Dave.” Dave also wanted to know the relative value of a scholarship to NIL money to today’s players. GMAC: “Things are completely different. Rick Pitino is right: they are pro athletes now. We continue to sell players on the value of an education at a great school like Syracuse. We won’t devalue it from our side. Unfortunately, that is not the nature of the game today.”

Roger wondered if every school uses the same brand of balls. They do not. SU is a Nike school. BC is with Under Armor. NC State uses Adidas balls. The NCAA Tournament used Wilson. Gerry wishes a standard ball was used like in the NBA. “It does make a difference. When they started using the NBA ball in the G league it cracked my fingers.” He said that SU keeps examples of all these balls on hand to practice with. Matt said he’s read a study on how well teams shoot with each ball. But the music started playing and the show ended before he could reveal the results.

The ”Twitch” segment was a train wreck. I typed out my question about Justin Taylor only to be told by another poster that it was ”a bad question”. I asked why. He said that it was “insensitive” because my asserting that it that Taylor had a “mental block” was obvious and that that meant that he was “mentally ill”. He then posted a question “Which is you favorite golf course?”, apparently his idea of a ‘sensitive’ question. Someone else asked what can be done to get a player out of a shooting slump. I though maybe that was a sensitive version of my question. The feed from Carrabba’s cut out just when Gerry was starting to answer that. It was out for about 5 minutes. Eventually they switched to an interview with Paul Harris. Finally they came back to the show. I asked them to repeat the answer since it had not been broadcast and got no response. The screen froze up. I refreshed it and had to sit through a commercial before we got the feed again. Then the screen again went blank and there was button to press to get the show going again. I pressed it and got another commercial. The show got going but it was also almost over and they didn’t get back to that subject. I didn’t take notes as the full show has been appearing on You-Tube for several weeks. Not tonight. I went to the Twitch channel and got this, which has what I heard but nothing that I didn’t hear:

Twitch

(Press the arrow.)

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for your great summaries. Good read.

GMAC said "our overall strength is the dribble drive". I believe that is absolutely true, though there are a ton of posters who don't seem to get it. When Bell can get and make shots, fine. Otherwise, we need JJ and MIntz to take it to the hoop.

GMAC said "our overall strength is the dribble drive". I believe that is absolutely true, though there are a ton of posters who don't seem to get it. When Bell can get and make shots, fine. Otherwise, we need JJ and MIntz to take it to the hoop.

55 points and a 15 point lead in the first half vs. NC State

32 points and an 11 point deficit in the second half vs. NC State.

We need Bell and Starling hitting J's to be a really good team. otherwise, we just have to see if we can grind it out.

The decision-making on the drive is the issue. And, he isn’t pushing the pace when Red is imploring him to. And it’s an issue.

Btw, and this isn’t directed to anyone in this thread so far, commenting that Judah’s decision making isn’t a commentary on his character.

55 points and a 15 point lead in the first half vs. NC State

32 points and an 11 point deficit in the second half vs. NC State.

We need Bell and Starling hitting J's to be a really good team. otherwise, we just have to see if we can grind it out.
To be a really good team we would need better forwards, better inside defense, inside scoring, and rebounding. We don’t have much of that. The grind out with dribble drive is what this team has to do, except on the occasions Bell or JJ can hit a high percentage.

And obviously the difference in those halves was Bell getting looks and making at a high (and rare) percentage.

Dave wanted to know why the refs call more fouls on us than the other team.
well dave. the Cuse is whistled for 15.6 fouls per game . our opponents 16.1
syracuse has shot 391 ft's . our opponents 309. that's over 20 % fewer.
SOOOO... your question is what ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom