The American 12 | Syracusefan.com

The American 12

moqui

generational talent
I assume that, along with the rights to the Big East name, the Catholic 7 will retain the rights to the automatic bid.

Will the American 12 get an auto bid immediately, or will there be a probationary period? Adding another auto bid means eliminating an at large slot.

The last time a new auto bid was added (MWC in 2001), the NCAA responded by taking the field to 65 and introducing the play in game.

Will the NCAA take the opportunity of the American 12 addition to expand the field to 72, or even more?

I assume that, along with the rights to the Big East name, the Catholic 7 will retain the rights to the automatic bid.

Will the American 12 get an auto bid immediately, or will there be a probationary period? Adding another auto bid means eliminating an at large slot.

The last time a new auto bid was added (MWC in 2001), the NCAA responded by taking the field to 65 and introducing the play in game.

Will the NCAA take the opportunity of the American 12 addition to expand the field to 72, or even more?
I believe it has already been announced that the Atlantic 12 (or whatever it ends up being called) will get an automatic bid immediately, and that it will result in one less at large bid being available. No changes are planned to the NCAA format.

Here's the line-up of teams that we avoided being conference mates with:

UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis (so far, so good, from a hoops perspective)

Central Florida
South Florida (good prospects for a real rivalry)

SMU
Houston (a Texas rivalry / footprint)

Future expansion:

Tulane
East Carolina
Navy (football only)
Tulsa (Are any of these schools worth it, just to get to 12 teams?)

Unofficially, they will be the America 12 - but of course they will only have 8 teams to start with.

Glad that SU is going somewhere (relatively) safe... But would rather the big east had carried on and just done a divisional football - no football thing. Going to miss this conference a lot. In ACC, everyone takes backseat to unc duke no matter what, and the conference is pretty terrible minus those two and the big east programs that are joining. I'm speaking from purely bball perspective as I don't care about college football. It's bittersweet for me, but obviously way better than being left behind.

I also am not one to take pleasure in the pain that uconn is dealing with, would rather them carry on being a strong rival so we can beat them on the court. Our history with that program is almost the same as gtown. Just like Boeheim has been saying, it's a shame it came to this. For eg playing a perennial mediocre St. John's in the garden beats the crap out of playing perennially mediocre Clemson in butt nowhere.

Down the road the ACC will probably just be the Big East redux anyway, so maybe a good number of the rivalries will still be around

Meloyelo...I'm with you about the demise of the Big East basketball conference. No joy here.

Of course next year the new A-12 will have Ville and Rutgirls reluctantly and just itching to leave, but what happens thereafter if UConn and Cincy can weasel their way into another conf (e.g., ACC)? Then what other mid major team does the A-12 haul in just for numbers? It'll just be another mid-tier conf with a bunch of teams thrown in.

With the break up and demise of the Big East, the best thing out of respect would have been to retire the Big East name (come up with 2, not 1 new names) so the BE could be remembered for what it was for many years, not for what it will become which does not do it justice.

There is no plans at all to expand the field. The only thing that will change (like other people in this topic said) is to take away an at-large to the A12 gets an automatic bid (no way any team but Memphis or UConn wins that conference next year).

Mr. Pitino might disagree...
Oops, you're right. I went by IthacaMatt's post and totally forgot that Louisville will be there for 1 more year. Sucks to be them.

Here's the line-up of teams that we avoided being conference mates with:

UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis (so far, so good, from a hoops perspective)

Central Florida
South Florida (good prospects for a real rivalry)

SMU
Houston (a Texas rivalry / footprint)

Future expansion:

Tulane
East Carolina
Navy (football only)
Tulsa (Are any of these schools worth it, just to get to 12 teams?)

Unofficially, they will be the America 12 - but of course they will only have 8 teams to start with.
ewww

I'm stunned they would go with that name. I'd think they would try to avoid anything that sounds even remotely like Conference USA.

I'm stunned they would go with that name. I'd think they would try to avoid anything that sounds even remotely like Conference USA.
Supposedly that's just one of the names a branding firm recommended. They're also considering taking name recommendations from the public on an outlet like Twitter.

Supposedly that's just one of the names a branding firm recommended. They're also considering taking name recommendations from the public on an outlet like Twitter.
The I would suggest the Cold Pizza Conference, or to get more to the point, Leftovers.

Of course next year the new A-12 will have Ville and Rutgirls reluctantly and just itching to leave, but what happens thereafter if UConn and Cincy can weasel their way into another conf (e.g., ACC)? Then what other mid major team does the A-12 haul in just for numbers? It'll just be another mid-tier conf with a bunch of teams thrown in.

With the break up and demise of the Big East, the best thing out of respect would have been to retire the Big East name (come up with 2, not 1 new names) so the BE could be remembered for what it was for many years, not for what it will become which does not do it justice.

Big East still a good basketball league, the new teams and Marquette+Depaul added to the original northeast BB only BE schools will still be relevant. X joining might tempt Cinci to put their BB in it and go MAC in football.

Big X joining might tempt Cinci to put their BB in it and go MAC in football.
Cincy is spending big. They want to be positioned ahead of Yukon when the next dominoes fall. They wouldn't opt for another mid-major conference unless their new conference crumbles.